meals and recipe builders

Options
hello..

need to pick everyone's brains bout being more accurate in my logging - a big thing is my dinner. as we all eat as a family i tend to shove the recipe into a recipe builder and then just divide between portions.. however this obvs isnt accurate as 1 chicken breast is different to another. so my question is shall i try to cook the meal first then weigh it cooked after?
what does everyone else do? i wou;d hate to have to begin to do separate meals in order to be more accurate in my logging, but i will do if i have too.

Replies

• rajeana_421
    rajeana_421 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    hello..

need to pick everyone's brains bout being more accurate in my logging - a big thing is my dinner. as we all eat as a family i tend to shove the recipe into a recipe builder and then just divide between portions.. however this obvs isnt accurate as 1 chicken breast is different to another. so my question is shall i try to cook the meal first then weigh it cooked after?
    what does everyone else do? i wou;d hate to have to begin to do separate meals in order to be more accurate in my logging, but i will do if i have too.

My husband and I usually weigh food first, he typically eats more than me so we both pick out our meat and weigh it before cooking. Then with things like casseroles we create the recipe and we either divide it into serving sizes or weigh the portion we get. Hope this is helpful...some dishes can still be difficult to track.
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    do you create the recipe each time? with new ingredients? as i do things regularly i tend to use it all the time..
  • robynmoosehead
    robynmoosehead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    do you create the recipe each time? with new ingredients? as i do things regularly i tend to use it all the time..

You can always edit a recipe that you've already made. I do that loads. I make Mexican quinoa casserole all the time and use onions and bell peppers in it. Because they're fresh they weigh different each time.

I just go back into the recipe and change the weights. It updates the calories to reflect that.

BUT, key point here, anything that you've already logged off that recipe (e.g. When I ate it from a different batch two weeks ago) doesn't get changed so you don't have to worry about that! Works perfect for me.

• rajeana_421
    rajeana_421 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I either reuse the recipe the same way as before and check the recipe to make sure I use the same ingredients and measurements or I edit the recipe. Unless it is just a dinner of meat and veggie sides, in that case I usually just weigh or measure the items individually.