I need some help.

Options
itslemia
itslemia Posts: 10 Member
edited February 2016 in Motivation and Support
Ive tried this whole diet and working out before and each time i tried the most i lost was 10 pounds and it always seemed like after 10 pounds i had no motivation to try to lose anymore weight.. For a while i maintained my weight and recently i found that my clothes werent fitting as good anymore which made me check my weight on the scale and turns out i gained about 22 pounds? Ugh :/ any tips for staying motivated to lose more than just 10 pounds while dieting and working out? Thanks.

Replies

• SabrinaBergman
    SabrinaBergman Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Go for a lifestyle change rather than a diet. I don't believe diets work but choosing to slowly integrate healthier actions and food into your everyday life results in a life style change that is more sustainable. Don't think of it as a short term thing until you hit a specific weight. It's all about being healthier. I know I struggle some times with feeling like I'm missing out or can't eat certain things so I try really hard to find healthier alternatives. For example, pizza. Instead of ordering out I'll make cauliflower crust pizza, which is a healthier alternative. There's a lot of ways you can start. Drink more water, park farther away, exercise, and push yourself as you become more comfortable. Hope this helps some. Good luck to you!
  • itslemia
    itslemia Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    So just take small steps to becoming healthy? I hope i can do it because im afraid ill never be happy with the way i look or feel.. Things are sometimes easier said then done sometimes but im hopeful i can do it thank you sabrina ☺️ this cauliflower crust pizza though sounds delicious whats the recipe?
  • jennkaufer89
    jennkaufer89 Posts: 69 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Go for a lifestyle change rather than a diet. I don't believe diets work but choosing to slowly integrate healthier actions and food into your everyday life results in a life style change that is more sustainable. Don't think of it as a short term thing until you hit a specific weight. It's all about being healthier. I know I struggle some times with feeling like I'm missing out or can't eat certain things so I try really hard to find healthier alternatives. For example, pizza. Instead of ordering out I'll make cauliflower crust pizza, which is a healthier alternative. There's a lot of ways you can start. Drink more water, park farther away, exercise, and push yourself as you become more comfortable. Hope this helps some. Good luck to you!

This is the path to success. Realizing that if you really want to maintain a healthy weight, you need to maintain a healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life. That doesn't mean you can't indulge in unhealthy things once in a while, but in order to progress forward those moments need to be tempered by a majority of healthy choices.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Lifestyle change is best. Typical "diets" are good for getting weight off quickly, but if we don't change then change won't happen. I know that my yo-yo weight happens due to not changing my lifestyle... it's an ongoing process to make a better me.
  • bodyfuelnutritionllc
    Options
    Diets are temporary. It's got to be a permanent food change. You got it. Be persistent..
  • andrewjbaker1984
    andrewjbaker1984 Posts: 33 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Doing exercise you don't enjoy and eating food you don't like will always result in you falling off the wagon. Who wants to do things they don't like and eat things they don't enjoy? Nobody.

Are there any forms of exercise that you enjoy? Running, team sports, walking, swimming, racket sports etc? If so, do that. It won't even feel like exercise.

In terms of food, start off by eating normally and record everything for a week. At the end of the week...

Firstly, identify what you simply are not willing to take out of your diet entirely - could be wine, chocolate, fries, a sandwich at lunch time in work, takeaways... whatever. If you can't live without those things then you're not going to stick to cutting them out and really, nor should you.

Next, from the things you're not willing to cut out, can you compromise? One big bar of chocolate a week instead of two? Healthier bread in sandwiches (I like the 'thins')? No fries Monday to Thursday? Lower fat Mayo? Smaller bag of crisps at lunch? Etc... I always think this sort of thing gets overlooked. If someone is currently eating 3 bags of crisps a day, why not start off by cutting down to 2? It may not be perfect but it's a step in the right direction calorie wise but also you're not going cold turkey.

Finally, identify what is costing you loads of calories and actually, you can do without (for me it was a bar of chocolate at 10:30am in work). Stop eating this.

Once you break the bad habits and naturally buy the low fat Mayo, stop eating fries every night, don't eat biscuits every time you have a cup of tea, it becomes easier because your habits have changed for the better.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Go for a lifestyle change rather than a diet. I don't believe diets work but choosing to slowly integrate healthier actions and food into your everyday life results in a life style change that is more sustainable. Don't think of it as a short term thing until you hit a specific weight. It's all about being healthier.

This is good advice and how I've approached losing weight this time around. I've lost weight in the past, but it always comes back on because I had never lost the weight with the intention of making lifestyle changes, it was always just a diet. This time around, I've changed my mindset and made small changes over the course of time. After a while, things become a habit. Sure, making smaller changes doesn't result in super fast weight loss, but I've consistently lost and I feel comfortable in knowing that I've made a lot of changes that will stick with me past the weight loss.
    Doing exercise you don't enjoy and eating food you don't like will always result in you falling off the wagon. Who wants to do things they don't like and eat things they don't enjoy? Nobody.

Also this. Eat whatever you want, but make sure you have room for it in your calories, and depending on what it is, make sure you eat a reasonable portion. We order pizza at least once a week at my house and it has not hindered my weight loss at all - I just eat less pizza than I did before. I can definitely say that if I took pizza, fries, and mac and cheese out of my diet, I would have given up long ago lol.

Work slowly and find out what works best for you, and you'll be successful.