My Scale and me - how often should we see each other

Options
I am wondering how often I should weigh myself. I am doing it daily but my weight fluctuates. Should I do it weekly? Also, what is the best time to weigh oneself. Any suggestions? :drinker:

Replies

• stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. I graph my Monday morning weigh-in's to see the BIG picture.
  • anna_lisa
    anna_lisa Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I do everymorning as well
  • jackiekayy
    Options
    once a week :] as soon as you wake up before you even drink water! i weigh in fridays because i never know how perfect (or not) i will be on the weekends!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Once a week at the most. Weighing every day will drive you insane.
  • maryd4love
    maryd4love Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    The best time, I believe, is first time in the morning. Empty your blatter and weigh.

I weigh everyday....it helps keep me in check. I would be crushed to wait a week to find out that I gained a pound. So...I weigh everyday so I know if maybe i need to workout more...or change the way I am eating....less carbs more veggies or such.
  • pearlsgonewild
    pearlsgonewild Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I do once a week, Saturday mornings, before I even drink my coffee.
  • hydrogirl0225
    Options
    I weigh once a week on the same day as soon as i wake up.
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am a scale junkie and weigh everday in the am after visiting the restroom. I only log once a week. I do realize my weight will vary from day to day, so it doesn't bother me. My logged weigh in day is Sunday's. :)
  • rileymama
    rileymama Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning also....but I only take my Monday morning weight as the one I log, due to fluctuations and such.
  • Amandanoralynn
    Amandanoralynn Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I do it too many times a week, sometimes daily. My doc said stay away from the scales. Maybe once a month if I feel I need to. But being in three different health groups. I ended up with three different days a week.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm a bad example. I get on the scale a few times a day sometimes, but I keep track of what I weigh first thing in the morning when I'm at my lightest. I have an Excel spreadsheet that I use to track my daily weight, and every Thursday I record my weigh in on here. So I can see my overall loss for the week, but I also see how my weigh changes day to day. I'm kind of neurotic tho, and I like numbers. For most people, once a day, or even once a week should suffice. I found with once a week, my weight would bounce around quite a bit. So if I just picked one of those days, it could be up 2 lbs and look like a gain. If I picked the next day, it would be down 2 lbs from that and i'd have a loss. So I just like to see it daily.
  • MizzCNyle
    MizzCNyle Posts: 40
    Options
    My weigh in is on Saturday in the morning after I use the restroom :)
  • kamoira23
    kamoira23 Posts: 193
    Options
    I weigh myself randomly throughout the week. You can weigh yourself every day, but you have to realize that your weight will fluctuate a lot that way. I pick Sundays to track my weight. Always at the same time, after I go to the bathroom, and I always weigh myself naked so I know my clothes aren't making a difference. :]
  • flgirlsteph
    flgirlsteph Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I do it every monday. Works for me tho I sneak a few peaks during the week I just record mondays
  • lajuice24
    lajuice24 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    My scale and I see each other every morning but I only weigh on Tuesdays and that give me a better picture. I think I should file for seperation from my scale.:wink:
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I weight weekly.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning. My weight fluctuates from day to day, but as long as it's moving down overall I'm fine. Sometimes I weigh in the evening too, just to see the difference from what it was in the morning.
  • AlyssaAmes3
    AlyssaAmes3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I findI drive myself crazy if a weigh myself everyday. More harm than good to weigh yourself everyday. I try to weigh myself atleast once a month to log my progress, but if your antsy I would say atleast wait a whole week in order to see a differnce. And I agree with everyone else. The am is the best time after you take your morning tinkle but before breakfast.
  • Dom_m
    Dom_m Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    As often as you like as long as you don't put too much *weight* into the results. I used to weigh myself every day, first thing. I'd graph the results in excel next to my cumulative caloric deficit. The deficit was fairly constant since I followed MFP, and the weightloss was a bit all over the place day to day because that's how it works, but over a period of 12 weeks you could see that the two tracked each other very closely. I found it motivating to do it daily. Now I don't do it at all because I'm not trying to lose weight, and seeing the same number every day is kinda boring.

ps. Of course daily weight fluctuates, but that doesn't mean one weigh in per week is more accurate. 7 weigh ins per week and then looking at the average (or trend) will give you a better idea, as long as you don't get discouraged by the daily noise.