Does anyone ride a tricycle?

Options
Hi Everyone I ordered a tricycle on March 23rd and I am waiting for it to be delivered. I am physically handicapped with over 300 pounds to lose. On Jan 28th I started strength training with a coach 3 days a week. However on the weekend I thought it might be good for me to try to ride a tricycle. But I do have a few questions for those that ride a tricycle

How long have you been riding? And how long do you ride for?
Do you have a set routine of when and where you ride? Or do you variety it each day?
Were you able to ride straight down the road right off the bat?
Do you have a lot of weight to lose?
Does riding a tricycle cause you to sweat and burn a lot of calories?

I have never ridden a tricycle and it has been over 45 some odd years since I have ridden a bike. I am excite to begin this new journey but also scared I may not be able to do it, I sure hope I didn't waste my money.
Thanks for any info you can provide,
money.

Replies

• ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I guess no one rides a tricycle? Any ideas whether there is a Tricycle group on MFP?
  • ausped
    ausped Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I will be honest, I didn't know they made adult tricycles. I looked them up and they look like a great option. I would assume that you will work up a sweat while riding. If you have never ridden, I would assume that you will have to build up to longer rides like with any other exercise. I also expect you to have some sore leg muscles the first couple of times you ride since you haven't been doing this before. The ones I looked at look really cool. Good luck with your new adventure!
    Try searching for tricylces on here and you may find other riders.
  • SJLS2013
    SJLS2013 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I was really tempted to get a tricycle, but was convinced out of it so sorry I don't know. I imagine it's very good for your core.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Bike or trik they are both great exercise
    WTG on your new wheels let us know how it goes I for one am intrested
  • jc1961AA
    jc1961AA Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Any type of exercise is good, not matter what you do. I would imagine that you will burn a fair amount of calories as tribike are not light, so well worth using in my opinion. My son has used in the past a tricycle as he is not able to ride a "normal" bike and enjoyed it very much. Last time was along Venice Beach and we had a fantastic time.
    JC
  • kimsabatino
    Options
    Hello, I just saw your post and wanted to share. I do ride a trike--I have a Catrike, and I really enjoy it. I need to loose about 100 pounds, and while I don't have any significant physical limitations (thankfully) riding a regular bike was just darn uncomfortable, so I didn't do it. The trike is recumbent style, so there is no pressure on my rear from sitting on a little seat, no pressure on my wrists, and no neck strain. Basically it's as comfortable as sitting in a lounger while working your major muscle groups at the same time. Because of the comfortable position there is no fatigue from the other issues. My first time out, I was easily able to ride 9 miles. I was tired when I was done, but it was good tired, not sore wrists, back and neck tired. I haven't had my trike out yet this spring, but last fall my last big ride was almost 20 miles, and I didn't excessively work my way up--I only had the trike about 2 months when I did that. I tried several trikes, including the local Terratrike offerings, but settled on the Catrike because it was most comfortable and came with a lot of high quality component upgrades as standard. The terratrike seat "dug in" to the point of bruising on the backs of my legs, so I opted for Catrike which is still a USA company, and in my opinion , a higher quality product. If you haven't purchased one yet, you might want to check out the Villager, which sits higher off the ground. I ended up with a different model, but did enjoy the ease of getting in and out of the Villager. I plan to start riding SOON now that weather is better. I hope this post is helpful! I'd be happy to answer any other questions!
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! You will get great exercise by riding. Please don't ride it on the sidewalk, though. There is a man in my neighbourhood who rides his tricycle on the sidewalk and everyone hates him.
  • kimsabatino
    Options
    Ha! I bet they do! We have great bike paths and bike lanes around here!
  • guwisti
    guwisti Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I know this is an older post, but I recently just purchased a trike. Been so long since riding a two wheeler and I was a tad nervous so the trike it was.

I have over 100 to lose, and mine is just an upright adult trike, not recumbent. I don't recommend it for hilly areas, or sharp turns. They can be unstable and flip easily. It takes alot of getting used to, especially with steering. You have to remian upright and not lean into curves like you would on a 2 wheeled bike.

However, we do have a nice flat road in our town that alot of folks walk and do a park loop. It rides great on that. My second ride and I did 3.18 miles. :D My first ride was down my hill and to a Farmer's Market and I about killed myself. Decided it's best left to flat roads with no potholes. lol.

As I said I just got mine...I'm still wondering if I shouldn't just get a regular Cruiser or hybrid....I'm kinda worried that once I get used to riding/steering the trike, I'll be ruined on ever riding a 2 wheeled bike. I don't know what I will end up deciding, but for right now the trike is working ok.
  • OldDudeOnBike
    OldDudeOnBike Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This is an old post so I checked to see if OP was still active, and was heartened to see she has been active in the last month. Bicycle or tricycle, bot require human power, so it's all good. I have been riding a bike since '06, and have lost almost 100 lb in that time. It can be hard to stick with it at first, but once you build up some strength and rhythm, it can get addicting. I do not know if it is hilly where you live, but if it is a bike with gears is a must. The key to enjoying it is to keep your legs spinning at about 85 rpm. Lower than that you have to push harder to maintain speed, and it will wear you out faster.
  • ssflbelle2012
    Options
    Yes I am still active.Still have 175 pounds to lose. However my trike riding came to an abrupt stop in Feb when I tore the right and left meniscus of my right knee. It was not because of the trike riding but because I turned the wrong way when walking one day. Walking is very difficult for me and I was not being careful enough in taking my time as it was pouring down rain and I wanted to get onto the elevator and into the house before I got soaked. It took me until the end of July to get my knee to the point where it didn't hurt when doing the little bit of walking that I can do. Aug has been so darn hot down here in Florida that I probably will start up again in Sept. I know I need to as I lost weight so much better when I was riding 3 to4 times a week. I had built my riding up to 3 miles before the problem with my knee. I suppose it will take me some time to build back up to the level again.

To tell you the truth I had forgotten I even started this thread. I was trying to find threads I had posted on and somehow came across this one. Thanks to all who replied, sorry I had no idea that you had. Nice though to see a recent posting here. Maybe the thread can continue on with everyone posting how far they are going and when they do trike/bike.
  • cdoesthehula
    cdoesthehula Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't ride a trike, but I was a cycle mechanic in the past.

Adult upright trikes, which I assume is what you have, are a great way to get miles in if for whatever reason you aren't comfortable with two wheels.

They usually have quite high gearing, so are best suited to riding on the flat and as has been stated can be tipped if you corner too fast. But that won't be a problem, you just need to anticipate your corners and slow down. The gearing on most of them is either by Sturmey Archer gearbox, or a derralieur. You can't do a lot about the sprockets on the back, but you can change the size of the chainring at the front which will make it much easier to pedal.

You could also look at electric assist. It works really well on trikes as you have that load area for a big battery. The best kits for electric assist were made by Heinzmann and Panasonic, but that was a few years ago. I bet there are more options and it's cheaper now.

Either way cycling is great - don't give up!
  • ssflbelle2012
    Options
    I finally was able to get back on my tricycle after having been off of it for 8 1/2 months due to two tears of the right meniscus. I was able to bike for only 1.2 miles but it is a start and it felt great to be exercising again.
  • cdoesthehula
    Options
    That's brilliant! Well done!
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I use to ride one but with my back I really struggled. The seat broke and stayed leaned back after only a few uses. Next trike I get will be a recumbent one so my back will have support. Since they run in the thousands I will be saving until I reach my first goal weight of 160.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I finally was able to get back on my tricycle after having been off of it for 8 1/2 months due to two tears of the right meniscus. I was able to bike for only 1.2 miles but it is a start and it felt great to be exercising again.

Good for you! Trikes and bikes are great exercise.
  • cdoesthehula
    Options
    I use to ride one but with my back I really struggled. The seat broke and stayed leaned back after only a few uses. Next trike I get will be a recumbent one so my back will have support. Since they run in the thousands I will be saving until I reach my first goal weight of 160.

Very surprised you broke a trike. If it was new, you were sold a dud.

Your weight puts you comfortably within the weight limit of a good quality (not too lightweight) mountain bike, or a dutch bike.

Both much cheaper options than a recumbent, and (dare I say it) more useful.
  • ssflbelle2012
    Options
    The first trike I got was a Schwinn and it did the same thing. I returned it to the store and went to a bike shop and got a Miami Sun Trike. It has an upside shape U support and the lovely wide comfort seat unlike Schwinn. My 350+ butt is comfy now if only my hands didn't hurt so much. I don't think there is much I can do about that as I have CPT and Ulnar nerve damage. Check into the Miami Sun you might like it while you save for the recumbent.
  • violasrbest
    violasrbest Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have balance issues so riding a normal bike is no longer safe. My first trike was professionally converted from a mountain bike, but I cooldn't learn not to lean in corners so I fell off a few times, including when I was carrying my baby sion the back.I recently bought a recumbent trike and I love it! I would agree that hills are an issue, but on the flat it's great.
  • ssflbelle2012
    Options
    Bring this thread back from the dead since I started riding again. Trying to ride the trike at 360 pounds and with all the health problems I had was getting harder and harder for me. I have since had my gallbladder removed, hernia repaired and various nodules from various organs removed. I have also lost 67 more pounds for a total lost of 204 from my heaviest of 497. I plan to lose another 138.
    On Friday Feb 19 I started to ride my trike again, 24 days after my surgeries. I started at 0.64 miles in 10 minutes and today I just went 2.06 miles in 24 minutes. I have been riding a little bit each day trying to get my strength up as well as my distance and speed.
    While recovering I decided I wanted to do a Bike Fundraiser Challenge for Literacy here in our county. That Bike Challenge is called Loop the Lake and takes place in Feb 2017. They have 4 distance loops you can do around Lake Okeechobee in Port Mayaca Florida. They just had this years challenge on Sat Feb 6th, so that website is still up. I am wanting to train to do one of the loops but I am not sure which one I might be able to do by that time. The loops are 14, 34, 68 and 115.
    Has anyone weighing 195 pounds (which is what I hope to be or less by next Feb) done 34 miles at one time? How long did it take you to go that far? What kind of training did you do, if you started out with a much higher weight and slower speed? Any suggestions on how to go about doing this training would be greatly appreciated.
    Also I am hoping to kind of use this thread to keep track of my weight loss, weekly distances and times. So please feel free to check back on my progress and provide encouragement, suggestions and tips so I can accomplish this Bike challenge next Feb.