Heeeelp

Options
I have been eating super healthy along with going to the gym 5 days a week. And u have been stuck at 178-179 for the past couple weeks now.

Replies

• Helloidentitycrisis
    Options
    Are you logging accurately? Are you eating at a deficit? You can lose weight on skittles (you'd be very hungry) or gain weight eating chicken salads if you're not eating at a deficit!
  • nessariggs
    nessariggs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm quiet understanding the deficit thing. How does it work!?
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    You need to open your diary for proper help :)

It means are you eating below your calorie needs how have you worked your calories out , do you eat clean as in little junk non processed foods ?
    Are you drinking water 8 glasses s day sipped over the day ?
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options
    size102b wrote: »

It means are you eating below your calorie needs how have you worked your calories out , do you eat clean as in little junk non processed foods ?

types of foods you eat don't matter for weight loss. certainly do for how they make me feel however. junk food makes me feel crappy.

You need to calculate your total daily calorie needs for weightloss, then log and weigh your food to ensure you are eating at that level. no guessing, get it on point and don't miss logging anything like condiments and sauces and dressings. Give it a go a couple weeks to see your progress then adjust accordingly.

Thats how it works...pretty simple but takes effort.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by eating super healthy? You can eat "healthy" things and still gain weight if you are eating too many calories. You can also lose weight and eat "unhealthy" things. Ultimately, you don't need to exercise at all to lose weight, you just need to eat less calories than you are burning.
  • Deckhand562
    Deckhand562 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    All good advice, but what kind of workouts are you doing? Some people preach 'cardio only', some 'weights weights weights'! I've been successful in all things in moderation. Good luck to you and keep on truckin'!
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Eating junk to lose weight is hard your hungry more often as sugar
    Yes don't exercise ??? Exercise is important just walking extra is good the more muscle mass you have the more calories you burn plus you look slimmer as muscle takes up less room to the same weight as fat
    So eat healthy 90% of the time & exercise is best having done this all ways I found I looked and felt better eating healthy and exercising than not.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

Doesn't matter.
  • itsthehumidity
    itsthehumidity Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Someone post that flow chart. OP, when someone posts a big flow chart, read it.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I do 45min circuit training 5days a week with occasional stationary bike and it took 4weeks until I finally saw a drop in weight on the scale... HOWEVER within the first two weeks I measured my waist and hips and had lost 1 inch. Sometimes theres progress thats just not scale-related. The weight will come off eventually, enjoy the nonscale victories until then. If youre not getting either, maybe youre underestimating calories consumed. I hear food scales help.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    nessariggs wrote: »
    I don't think I'm quiet understanding the deficit thing. How does it work!?

Weight loss works like this:
    If you consume more energy (calories) than your body uses (through staying alive, heart beating, breathing, day to day activity, chores, exercise, etc.) then your body will store that extra energy as fat.
    If you consume less energy than you burn then your body has to get it from somewhere so it pull the extra back out of storage (you burn fat).

It does not matter how "healthy" you eat (from a weight loss standpoint). If you eat 2,000 calories of "healthy" food but only burn 1,800 you will store the extra 200 calories as fat.

So, here's how a deficit works.
    First, figure out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which is the total number of calories you burn throughout the day. This is done by applying a factor for your activity level (sedentary, lightly active, active...) to your BMR (basal metabolic rate, the number of calories your body burns keeping you alive).
    There are 3,500 calories in a pound of fat so if you eat 500 calories less than your TDEE every day, you'll lose a pound (3,500 calories) every week. So if you have a TDEE of 2,000 calories and eat 1,500 calories, you'll lose a pound per week.

BTW, if you just plug your stats into MFP it will do the above calculations for you and tell you what your calorie goal should be.

Now to achieve that deficit you need to:
    Weigh and log all your food. If you don't weigh it, you'll underestimate how much you're eating and if you don't log it you'll lose track and underestimate it.
  • T0M_K
    Options
    Eating junk to lose weight is hard your hungry more often as sugar
    Yes don't exercise ??? Exercise is important just walking extra is good the more muscle mass you have the more calories you burn plus you look slimmer as muscle takes up less room to the same weight as fat
    So eat healthy 90% of the time & exercise is best having done this all ways I found I looked and felt better eating healthy and exercising than not.

I think the point the OP needs to get settled in her head is that weight loss is NOT about exercise nor the foods you eat. Its SOLELY about the amount you eat. you must eat at a calorie deficit. Now that said, exercise can play a significant role is the composition of your body, maintaining your lean muscle mass while in a calorie deficit, getting yourself into more of a deficit(albeit not that huge for most exercise) and for your overall general health.

So, get yourself calculated correctly to be in a deficit then log your food accurately and just count any exercise as bonus. Do it two to three weeks and see where you land on the scale and adjust.

Best of luck.
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    1) Eating junk to lose weight is hard 2)your hungry more often as sugar
    Yes don't exercise ??? 3) Exercise is important just walking extra is good 4) the more muscle mass you have the more calories you burn plus 5) you look slimmer as muscle takes up less room to the same weight as fat

1) This is preference. I have oreos more days than not and I'm doing fine. Most people find that eliminating foods is harder to stick with than moderating them.

2) Sugar doesn't make you hungry. Carbs aren't as satiating as fat or protein but sugar doesn't make you hungry.

3) Exercise is important for health and will slightly increase calorie burn but is not vital to weight loss. Maintaining a calorie deficit by eating less than you burn is all there is to losing weight.

4) Walking is not enough to add muscle mass, especially in a caloric deficit.

5) You will only look slimmer if you also lose the fat, in which case you will look slimmer anyway because the fat is gone. Adding muscle can make you look more fit and toned if fat levels are low enough to be able to see the muscle.
  • nessariggs
    Options
    I have an office job and sit all day I walk on my two breaks and lunch. I follow the amount of calories that mfp gave me. I don't have the premium plan tho. I have my Fitbit HR synced with it so it tracks my exercise calories burned and steps I have taken! I do 30 mins of cardio and weights!!
  • T0M_K
    Options
    I have an office job and sit all day I walk on my two breaks and lunch. I follow the amount of calories that mfp gave me. I don't have the premium plan tho. I have my Fitbit HR synced with it so it tracks my exercise calories burned and steps I have taken! I do 30 mins of cardio and weights!!

If you are accurate in your logging and have lost weight, perhaps its time to do your goal over again to ensure you are at the right number now.

How many calories are eating? Do you weigh your food?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.
  • nessariggs
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »

If you are accurate in your logging and have lost weight, perhaps its time to do your goal over again to ensure you are at the right number now.

How many calories are eating? Do you weigh your food?

This app gives me 1200 calories based on the amount of weight i want to lose per week! I picked 2lbs a week. I do not have a scale but do need to get one!
  • nessariggs
    Options
    1. If it's been less than 3 weeks or so, don't sweat it! Normal fluctuations happen and unfortunately sometimes we stall for a week or two even when we're doing everything right. Give your body some time to catch up with the changes you're making.

2. If you aren't already, be sure that you're logging everything. Sometimes people forget about things like veggies, drinks, cooking oils, and condiments. For some people these can add up to enough to halt your weight loss progress.

3. Consider buying a food scale if you don't already have one. They're about $10-$20 dollars in the US and easily found at places like Amazon, Target, and Walmart. Measuring cups and spoons are great, but they do come with some degree of inaccuracy. A food scale will be more accurate, and for some people it makes a big difference.

4. Logging accurately also means choosing accurate entries in the database. There are a lot of user-entered entries that are off. Double-check that you're using good entries and/or using the recipe builder instead of someone else's homemade entries.

5. Recalculate your goals if you haven't lately. As you lose weight your body requires fewer calories to run. Be sure you update your goals every ten pounds or so.

6. If you're eating back your exercise calories and you're relying on gym machine readouts or MFP's estimates, it might be best to eat back just 50-75% of those. Certain activities tend to be overestimated. If you're using an HRM or activity tracker, it might be a good idea to look into their accuracy and be sure that yours is calibrated properly.

7. If you're taking any cheat days that go over your calorie limits, it might be best to cut them out for a few weeks and see what happens. Some people go way over their calorie needs without realizing it when they don't track.

8. If you weigh yourself frequently, consider using a program like trendweight to even out the fluctuations. You could be losing weight but just don't see it because of the daily ups and downs.

9. Some people just burn fewer calories than the calculators predict. If you continue to have problems after 4-6 weeks, then it might be worth a trip to the doctor or a registered dietitian who can give you more specific advice.

I don't use a scale to weight my food I am going to buy one this weekend tho!!

I rarely eat a cheat meal, I keep everything in the amount of daily calories I'm allowed. I try to only weigh myself once a week.

I use a Fitbit all day and when I exercise!! So I think that's hopefully getting calories accurate!
  • nessariggs
    Options
    Great advice everyone thank you!!!! :)
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

I don't use a scale to weight my food I am going to buy one this weekend tho!!

I rarely eat a cheat meal, I keep everything in the amount of daily calories I'm allowed. I try to only weigh myself once a week.

I use a Fitbit all day and when I exercise!! So I think that's hopefully getting calories accurate!

Best purchase I ever made! Seriously!