Low BMI, but still seeing fat... Help?

Options
Hi there!
I have been working hard on my weight and living a healthful lifestyle for over a year now, and I have happily lost about 65 pounds (yay!). I am right at my goal weight (120 lbs), but I still see a bit of belly fat and a bit of fat around my hips. I just don't get it, because at 5'7'' I have a BMI of 18.5, which is technically "underweight." It's quite discouraging.
If I'm riding the line of being underweight, then why do I still see fat around my stomach...? Should I just continue to lose until my tummy flattens out a bit more...? I don't want to be too skinny, but I also want to look "just right" in my bikini on our vacation in May.

Thoughts...? Suggestions...? I really appreciate the help! :)

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Are you strength training at all?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Google "skinny fat" You've done a great job with the weight loss. You probably want to do some resistance work to build a bit of muscle.
  • mrs_madison_keane
    mrs_madison_keane Posts: 45 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes, I am working out about 5 days a week (both cardio and strength training), but still not seeing much of a difference.... I could probably up my intensity for my strength training....? @Hornsby @Packerjohn
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    You can be at a low total weight and still have a relatively high body fat percentage. Given that you're on the bottom end of the BMI range, it's probably time to start focusing on recomposition rather than weight loss. It's likely that continuing to lose weight will eventually eliminate most of your subcutaneous fat, but it probably won't result in looking "just right" in a bikini.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Yes, I am working out about 5 days a week (both cardio and strength training), but still not seeing much of a difference.... I could probably up my intensity for my strength training....? @Hornsby @Packerjohn

What does your routine look like?
  • mrs_madison_keane
    Options
    @Hornsby - I am doing about 30 min on the treadmill (at a low incline) 4 days a week, then I've recently started doing Les Mills BodyPump classes 2 times a week, and HIIT Pilates classes 2 days a week. Aside from that, I try to do some of the simple weightlifting routines I see on Pinterest on days that I can't make a class work with my schedule.
  • Hornsby
    Options
    My suggestion would be to find a strength training plan (Strong lifts, new rules of lifting) and do those for a while.

It doesn't sound like you are truly strength training. Get in the weight room and lift some heavy stuff :)
  • mrs_madison_keane
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @Hornsby - Yikes! :#;) Ok, I'll try it! I just don't want to look dumb since I'm not 100% sure that my form or whatever would be right... #gymtimidation
    Wish me luck! lol
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    @Hornsby - Yikes! :#;) Ok, I'll try it! I just don't want to look dumb since I'm not 100% sure that my form or whatever would be right... #gymtimidation
    Wish me luck! lol

Depending on your gym, there should be a personal trainer around somewhere (that works there). Sign up for a session and have them show you proper technique and give you a workout plan.
  • engodwin
    engodwin Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    My suggestion would be to find a strength training plan (Strong lifts, new rules of lifting) and do those for a while.

It doesn't sound like you are truly strength training. Get in the weight room and lift some heavy stuff :)

Strong Lifts for the win!
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    As others have said, you need to strength train.

I post this picture all the time because it's a great illustration. These are all the same woman. On the left, at her goal weight (as you can see, she still looks a little soft and squishy). On the right, after a body recomp program using heavy weights. Even though she's heavier on the right, she's smaller and her body looks better.

bodycomp_zps680e3d53.jpg
  • mrs_madison_keane
    Options
    @evileen99 - Thank you so much for that visual! It certainly helps to see that it's possible since I have been so discouraged lately.

Does anyone know how long it would be until I started seeing some results... I'm not talking like body builder abs, but just wondering if I even have a shot at making some noticeable progress before our vacation in May ;)
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    IMHO, you are focusing WAY too much on a little belly fat. your concentration should be on being happy with your weight loss and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
  • mrs_madison_keane
    edited February 2016
    Options
    @vczk2t15 - I appreciate your concern! The truth is, I am BEYOND happy with my weight loss and I am 100% in love with the body that I have worked so hard for over the past year. I've actually never felt so empowered and proud of myself! But I am always looking for ways to better myself and improve myself. So, my question about my bit of belly fat wasn't out of a place of vain obsession, but simply a question that needed an answer so that I can continue on this journey of healthful living.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    Wish me luck! lol

Depending on your gym, there should be a personal trainer around somewhere (that works there). Sign up for a session and have them show you proper technique and give you a workout plan.

Ya, sign up for a few sessions with a trainer and tell them you want to lift heavy.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone, no need to lose more weight, lift heavy, and enjoy where you are at!

Remember, we all carry some fat, women especially, and given that you are at the edge of underweight whatever fat that is there is probably overall healthy for you! It's hard to get a "gestalt" of how we look, and focusing too much on specific parts can make you lose track of the big picture. I bet you already look great in a bikini. Overtime as you focus on lifting you'll probably be even more and more happy with how you look.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is a good place to start. There are only 5 lifts in the workout, so it's not a whole lot to learn. I second that you should do a session with a personal trainer to learn proper form.
  • runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    @mrs_madison_keane thank you for posting this thread. I felt as if I was reading my own thoughts and the inputs posted here have been really helpful to read.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    There is no possibility that you are skinny fat with a BMI of 18.5. Women are supposed to carry some fat. It's healthy. I'd suggest that your image of yourself might be skewed. Even professional athletes carry some fat that is visible when they are relaxed. I'll bet your BF% is just fine.