Losing ground

Options
What is going on? When I started I lost about 10 pounds. Then about 3 weeks ago I stopped losing weight, but I was losing inches around my thighs, waist,hips, etc. Now I'm starting to eat healthier and exercise more, and ice started gaining inches, and a pound or two. Can anyone please help me?

Replies

• mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is just Math. Cals In < Cals Out. If that's what you're doing, stay the course. The math always wins.

Review your diary to make sure your logging is accurate and those extra calories aren't slipping through the cracks. If you're eating back all of the exercise calories that MFP is logging for you, that's a problem as MFP tends to overstate the burn. My guess would be that one of these is where your problem lies - it's just that common of an issue.
  • GuineaKitty
    GuineaKitty Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Are you weight lifting? If so you could be gaining lean lbs from muscles building.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    could be water weight due to water retention in your muscles from increasing your exercise.
  • Discoqueen77
    Discoqueen77 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Ups and downs are normal. So are plateaus. Keep up the good work and it will pay off.
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Hunter2224 wrote: »
    What is going on? When I started I lost about 10 pounds. Then about 3 weeks ago I stopped losing weight, but I was losing inches around my thighs, waist,hips, etc. Now I'm starting to eat healthier and exercise more, and ice started gaining inches, and a pound or two. Can anyone please help me?

You are losing weight. The scale might not be moving, but losing inches means it is still working. You could be replacing fat with muscle. That will make the scale not move, but lose inches.

Stay the course you are doing great.
  • Hunter2224
    Hunter2224 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I worded that wrong I was losing inches, ( for example my thighs measured at 22"now they are back to 23") I not worried about not losing weight I'm worried about the inches so to speak
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Hunter2224 wrote: »
    I worded that wrong I was losing inches, ( for example my thighs measured at 22"now they are back to 23") I not worried about not losing weight I'm worried about the inches so to speak

It's hard to be 100% accurate with measurements. Were you sure you were measuring in the same place both times? Also when you start a new exercise program, your muscles start retaining water and puff up to repair themselves. So they will be slightly physically larger because they are hanging on to extra water. It's likely water related, the extra inch. You'll just have to take measurements over time, like once a month, and give it a while to see real trends. Your measurements aren't perfect and can fluctuate just like the scale.
  • Hunter2224
    Options
    Thanks it's just frustrating not to see any progress. It was easy to forget about the weight when I was losing inches, but now it's really hard to stay on track.
  • NesCastanon
    NesCastanon Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    This is where your resolve kicks in. Sure its fun when the weight is coming off but what do you do when it slows? Are you going to get frustrated and stop or keep pushing through?
  • Hunter2224
    Options
    I going to keep going I just hope I quit losing ground