Workout ideas

Options
kiaramonroe772
kiaramonroe772 Posts: 21 Member
edited February 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I usually do 45 minutes on the treadmill and 20 minutes on the stationary bike. I want to include strength training, any suggestions? Btw my weight is around 220 :/

Replies

• grantcfitpal
    grantcfitpal Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thats alot of cardio.... I'm not saying cardio isn't great, but it's not required. You can loose weight by tracking macros properly and training effectively (without cardio). But if you enjoy cardio then its a great tool.

Strength training and weight loss is a bad combination and I wouldn't recommend it.
  • kiaramonroe772
    Options

@grantcfitpal Thanks for your input. I read on a lot of sites and they said it was a good combo but I can see your point, I'm still trying to figure out a routine
  • leahcollett1
    leahcollett1 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    i am 217, and i currently do body combat 3 times a week i bloody love it
  • efwww
    efwww Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thats alot of cardio.... I'm not saying cardio isn't great, but it's not required. You can loose weight by tracking macros properly and training effectively (without cardio). But if you enjoy cardio then its a great tool.

Strength training and weight loss is a bad combination and I wouldn't recommend it.

It depend what your goal is, you can do strength training and lose weight, although it's gonna be slower
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender.com has a host of routines; cardio, body weight, dumbbell routines, yoga, Pilates warm ups and cool down stretches. Exercise you can do at home with your computer screen. A lot of which need no equipment.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options

Hmmm, that's odd because strength training combined with an appropriate weight routine is how I lost 35lbs.

Although it is correct that the only thing you need to do is cut the calories for weight loss.

Cardio and weight lifting have many benefits.
    Cardio for cardiovascular health and weight lifting (or any resistance training including body weight exercises) help to preserve muscle mass when in a calorie deficit.

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

:huh: :noway:
  • curves2j
    curves2j Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have combined both cardio and lifting and have lost over 72 pounds.
  • kiaramonroe772
    Options
    @pondee629 thanks for the link, I can try the home videos out when I can't make it to the gym
  • kiaramonroe772
    Options
    @piperdown44 congrats on your 35lbs, I'm working on cutting calories and I'm doing pretty good with that. Today at the gym I incorporated cardio and strength training, I have hope it will work for me as it did for you
  • kiaramonroe772
    Options

lol I think I'll keep doing cardio and strength training

• kiaramonroe772
    Options
    @curves2j congrats on the 72lbs, I'll keep trying with cardio and lifting and see how it goes for me
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE my stationary biking. It is my go-to cardio. I am quite amazed at the amount of people who continue to say that cardio isn't necessary. Yes, you could lose tons of weight by watching what you eat; however, I will stick to watching what I eat and exercising. Exercising isn't just about "heart healthy habits." It is mental. It is emotional. It is stress relief. It is so many things. And it is a better coping mechanism than sitting in front of the tv eating chips! So you do what you want to do in terms of exercise.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

This^

Strength training and weight loss is a GREAT combination.

OP - when you lose weight it will be a combination of fat+muscle+water. Strength training is one of the things that helps minimize lean muscle loss.

Don't wait until you get to goal. Keeping the muscle you have is much easier than rebuilding it.

Google - body weight exercise. Tons of videos on YouTube. Fitness Blender gets great reviews here.
  • lizwrites1313
    lizwrites1313 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I do both. Are you a gym member? If you are ask one of the staff to show you around the machines and decide which you like.
  • piperdown44
    piperdown44 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    @piperdown44 congrats on your 35lbs, I'm working on cutting calories and I'm doing pretty good with that. Today at the gym I incorporated cardio and strength training, I have hope it will work for me as it did for you

Good on you! Keep at it.
    I know we all debate this and that, cardio, weights, food, but in the end if you pick some and are consistent it really does pay off.
  • sdbernier
    sdbernier Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have only lost 6 pounds since January 19 so I'm not an expert. I do know that what worked for me the last time I dropped the weight (before my second pregnancy) was circuit training that incorporated cardio with strength training. I found I didn't drop as many pounds at the start but I could see definite changes in my body (arms and legs especially).
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options

Good on you! Keep at it.
    I know we all debate this and that, cardio, weights, food, but in the end if you pick some and are consistent it really does pay off.

+1