Fitness Wear

Options
peaceout_aly
peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
I need athletic attire store suggestions that aren't gonna run me broke. I'm not doing too well financially, but I know that I need to prioritize and add some new leggings, tanks and sports bras (maybe even a pair of sneaks?!) to my wardrobe while still saving for new Spring/Summer clothes and bikinis since nothing from previous years fits due to body shape changes while working out. This weekend, I plan on going through my wardrobe and getting rid of anything too big/too old/mishapen/doesn't fit right and replacing it with new...any suggestions for affordable stores would be appreciated!

Replies

• ScottyBeBop
    ScottyBeBop Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I always get steals at Marshall and TJ Max. They have under armor and reebok and some other brands ive never heard of that are great for the price.
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    And to the main question - I like C9 at Target, Old Navy's stuff is OK but I usually wait for a sale because I think its over priced when its not, and Wal-Mart's Danskin stuff isn't too bad either.
  • MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    Options
    Target and Walmart have workout clothes from sneakers to sport bras and everything in between.

TJMaxx, Marshalls, and Ross with have brand name stuff for a discounted price. Around holidays most stores have major sales and you can snag great stuff for 40/50% off.

Gapbody is a fav of mine for leggings, shorts, tops, sport bras, and non sports wear. They always have a ton of sale and frequently have 40% off sale items. I have Gapbody leggings that have lasted for a loooong time.

Victoria's Secret has great sports bras, but are ridic expensive. Check them out during their annual sale. I've gotten some of the best sports bras I've ever had there for $16! Their leggings are meh. Thin. Unless you get them for free (like I have from a sport bra promo) I wouldn't spend money on them. They are very cute, but snag easy.

• MommysLittleMeatball
    MommysLittleMeatball Posts: 2,064 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    ekicinsk wrote: »
    And to the main question - I like C9 at Target, Old Navy's stuff is OK but I usually wait for a sale because I think its over priced when its not, and Wal-Mart's Danskin stuff isn't too bad either.

Oh, yeah! Old Navy usually has great sales too. I got a pair of leggings there and I really like them.
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I always get steals at Marshall and TJ Max. They have under armor and reebok and some other brands ive never heard of that are great for the price.

Never thought of Marshall's!! I usually go there for home goods. I'll have to scour the fashion section next time I'm there :)
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,256 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Concur with the TJ Max and Marshalls but also consider the thrift stores you may be shocked at what turns up there.
    For online there are several that I have used in the past but I am having trouble rembering or finding the links for that matter but one good one that I do remember is East bay. Look for their discount items. If I can recall the other sites I will post them as I recall them. But at my age I may forget about this post altogether.
    The link to East bay is:

http://www.eastbay.com/

Just remembered this site:

http://www.academy.com/
  • yasminara
    yasminara Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Girl, ignore the trolls wear whatever the hell you want. Marshall's is my suggestion! They always have great sales!

Women don't dress in workout clothes or stop doing it because sad people don't approve.

Close your eyes if you dont have any self control lol! Sorry not sorry.
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Target C9 stuff is pretty reasonable. All my fitness clothing is from there. I had gotten some bras from Walmart but they just don't hold you up as well..at least in my experience.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Old Navy has decent stuff too. And cheap!
  • MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Best place for plus size workout wear in my opinion is Walmart. They dont sell this stuff in store, but their online selection is pretty good and if it doesn't work out you can take it back to any store (even their grocery marketplaces). They sell And1, Asics, and Dankskin.

Marshall's and TJ max is good for non plus size, I dont really find much plus size there, but I keep looking.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    Target and Walmart. Realize that much of the fitness wear out there is basically from the same country and being made by the same companies. Labels are the main difference.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

OP I have great luck at Dick's But only during sales. I also shop the girl's department on clearance because workout pants and tops are less than half price for Nike and UA etc.

• NofatdaddyMike
    NofatdaddyMike Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Burlington Coat Factory usually has awesome deals, although I have never looked for sports bras and ladies workout gear. Thy have great stuff for men though!
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I really like the Danskin' capris from WalMart. They're less than $15/ea and I have some that have lasted more than 2 years. For bras, I like Old Navy or Target. I have a few from each and they're all great as long as you get the right support level for your activity.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I'm wondering where or what brand is the best to get quality running apparel. I've been running longer distances lately and only have one pair of shorts that doesn't cause chaffing and that actually stand in place without having to constantly pull up/pull down. And shirts that aren't too tight fitting? I bloat a lot even though I'm slim and have trouble finding tops that aren't tight but don't look like a tent on me.

edit to add: quality that doesn't break the bank
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering where or what brand is the best to get quality running apparel. I've been running longer distances lately and only have one pair of shorts that doesn't cause chaffing and that actually stand in place without having to constantly pull up/pull down. And shirts that aren't too tight fitting? I bloat a lot even though I'm slim and have trouble finding tops that aren't tight but don't look like a tent on me.

I've gotten a lot of my running apparel from the sale/clearance rack at my local Fleet Feet (specialty running store)....but I have paid full price for a few high quality pieces that I couldn't wait for them to go on sale (you don't wait for a good winter running jacket to go on sale in Feb when you need one in Dec LOL). :)
    Options
    gobonas99 wrote: »

I've gotten a lot of my running apparel from the sale/clearance rack at my local Fleet Feet (specialty running store)....but I have paid full price for a few high quality pieces that I couldn't wait for them to go on sale (you don't wait for a good winter running jacket to go on sale in Feb when you need one in Dec LOL). :)

+1 sales racks are a great place to check out
    as for running shoes, don't cheap out. If you're going to spend money on something, get good shoes that are property fitted for you
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

as for running shoes, don't cheap out. If you're going to spend money on something, get good shoes that are property fitted for you

My running shoes are the one thing I'm never cheap on. Right now I have brooks ghost 8! I love them, better than the brooks Ravenna I had last year.

Ok, I guess I need to check out our local running stores. Last work out stuff I bought was from Old Navy (on clearance) and the quality is just terrible, but they're not bad as long as I'm not running in them.
  • ekicinsk
    ekicinsk Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Victoria's Secret has great sports bras, but are ridic expensive. Check them out during their annual sale. I've gotten some of the best sports bras I've ever had there for $16! Their leggings are meh. Thin. Unless you get them for free (like I have from a sport bra promo) I wouldn't spend money on them. They are very cute, but snag easy.

I wonder if VS changed their leggings. I just got 2 pairs (during the buy a bra, get some pants sale) and they are really thick and have a pocket in the waistband that holds my phone!

The bras are the best though. They can be a little expensive but if you have a coupon, they usually work for the sports bras too. And bonus - FRONT CLOSURE!
    Options

My running shoes are the one thing I'm never cheap on. Right now I have brooks ghost 8! I love them, better than the brooks Ravenna I had last year.

Ok, I guess I need to check out our local running stores. Last work out stuff I bought was from Old Navy (on clearance) and the quality is just terrible, but they're not bad as long as I'm not running in them.

If you're getting into longer distances, you'll want to go with higher quality stuff with flat seams, which unfortunately, will cost you more. Unless you're lucky and get exactly what you need, in your size, on the clearance rack. I rarely have that kind of luck. Bonus though, generally the higher quality stuff lasts a long time so if you amortize it over a couple of years, it takes the sting out of the price. I can rationalize anything ;)