Blue Apron

Options
So we tried this delivery system where farm fresh ingredients show up with recipes and you cook them. So far 3 of the best meals my hubby and I have ever tasted and all between 500-700 calories and portioned for 2 or 4 people depending on how you order. The bonus ... The recipes are in mfp for tracking ... Absolutely genius !!!!!

Anyone using this?

Replies

• Wine_and_wod
    Wine_and_wod Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have Blue Apron and have really enjoyed the convenience of not buying too much veggies and having them go bad. They give you just enough to make the recipes and they have all been very delicious! I will say I made some mushroom & cabbage dumplings and the work I put into it was more than I would have liked! I will definitely skip that recipe next time. :smile:
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I am curious how much? Is it a weekly cost or monthly cost? Is it just meals for dinner? I see the commercials all the time and I wanted to know the difference as opposed to going to the store to buy the ingredients.
  • PurdueGuy2001
    PurdueGuy2001 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm getting my first delivery from Blue Apron tonight! Here is the cost breakdown, per week:
    3 meals for 2 people = $59.94 ($9.99/person/meal)
    2 meals for 4 people = $69.92 ($8.74/person/meal)
  • tracefan
    tracefan Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have thought about trying this, however I have a family of four and I'm sure my kids will never eat what they send.. therefore I thought about ordering the meal for two, but then I'd be stuck making 2 dinners... HOW ARE THE PORTIONS?
    socrmommy wrote: »
    So we tried this delivery system where farm fresh ingredients show up with recipes and you cook them. So far 3 of the best meals my hubby and I have ever tasted and all between 500-700 calories and portioned for 2 or 4 people depending on how you order. The bonus ... The recipes are in mfp for tracking ... Absolutely genius !!!!!

Anyone using this?

• socrmommy
    socrmommy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    tracefan wrote: »
    I have thought about trying this, however I have a family of four and I'm sure my kids will never eat what they send.. therefore I thought about ordering the meal for two, but then I'd be stuck making 2 dinners... HOW ARE THE PORTIONS?
    socrmommy wrote: »

Anyone using this?

So they have it for a family of 4 too. From what I can tell they are totally different recipes and geared to more family friendly. You also put in preferences. I don't like lamb so I opted out of that etc.
  • murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I love Blue Apron, SO and I have been receiving it for a few months now. I find that if I use the recipe builder the calorie counts tend to be a bit higher than the estimated calorie count Blue Apron gives (usually 500-700 calories per serving), but I've never seen it super far off. I do wish they posted more accurate nutrition information, including counts for protein, fat, and carbs. If you want this information, you have to use the recipe builder on MFP. Also, watch out for some of the two person recipes, as the calorie counts will actually be for 3 servings. Most of the meals have huge portions as well, so this can lower the calories you are taking in based on how much of the serving you are actually eating. I frequently don't finish an entire half recipe, which is one serving for the 2 person service (for most recipes).

So far we've been super impressed by the quality of the ingredients. Occasionally we receive a meal that we don't think is "worth" $10/person, but at the end of the day at least we don't have to go out and buy ingredients in quantities we don't need just to make one meal. The one time we got fish that we felt was past it's prime, Blue Apron immediately gave us a credit for the entire meal that was applied to our next delivery.

The only thing I can honestly say is disappointing is, at least for the 2 person service, there is a distinct lack of vegetable sides and heavy reliance on large, starchy sides. I'm not sure if that is the same for the 4 person service or not. From what I've read online, a lot of people have contacted Blue Apron regarding the lack of vegetable sides. Hopefully they listen and start sending more veggie sides, and as a bonus for those of us trying to lose weight, the calorie counts will be lower for the meal!
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Man, kids these days and their luxury of getting to pick what they eat...
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    It's a little pricey for me. Also, I feel like the name "Blue Apron" sounds like a dog food brand. It kinda skeeves me out.
  • socrmommy
    Options

Man, kids these days and their luxury of getting to pick what they eat...

Really? It's heavy fish etc and if your kids are little they probably won't appreciate catfish , collard greens and grits....
  • socrmommy
    Options
    murp4069 wrote: »
    I love Blue Apron, SO and I have been receiving it for a few months now. I find that if I use the recipe builder the calorie counts tend to be a bit higher than the estimated calorie count Blue Apron gives (usually 500-700 calories per serving), but I've never seen it super far off. I do wish they posted more accurate nutrition information, including counts for protein, fat, and carbs. If you want this information, you have to use the recipe builder on MFP. Also, watch out for some of the two person recipes, as the calorie counts will actually be for 3 servings. Most of the meals have huge portions as well, so this can lower the calories you are taking in based on how much of the serving you are actually eating. I frequently don't finish an entire half recipe, which is one serving for the 2 person service (for most recipes).

So far we've been super impressed by the quality of the ingredients. Occasionally we receive a meal that we don't think is "worth" $10/person, but at the end of the day at least we don't have to go out and buy ingredients in quantities we don't need just to make one meal. The one time we got fish that we felt was past it's prime, Blue Apron immediately gave us a credit for the entire meal that was applied to our next delivery.

The only thing I can honestly say is disappointing is, at least for the 2 person service, there is a distinct lack of vegetable sides and heavy reliance on large, starchy sides. I'm not sure if that is the same for the 4 person service or not. From what I've read online, a lot of people have contacted Blue Apron regarding the lack of vegetable sides. Hopefully they listen and start sending more veggie sides, and as a bonus for those of us trying to lose weight, the calorie counts will be lower for the meal!

Good to know as we have just logged their calorie count.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    I think it would be fun to try, if only just to try something new and having it delivered to your door. But $8-10 per person per meal is on the high end for home cooked meals. I could get a whole week of lunches and dinners for $60.
  • faegirl22
    faegirl22 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    We did HelloFresh for a long time and really really enjoyed it. The calories were about 600-1000 calories but you could prepick your meals so you knew what you were getting and the calories. The biggest downside is the cost, it got to the point where my husband and I couldn't justify the cost. For the cost of 4 boxes a month (12 meals) we were able to make 50 freezer meals
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    We used a trial of Hello Fresh and weren't impressed. I was particularly put off by the wastefulness of the packaging: tiny jars of mustard, a bag with three leaves of basil, etc. I don't know much about Blue Apron, but since Mrs Jruzer is a great cook and a ninja in the grocery store these services aren't a good fit for us.