lose weight or gain muscle

Options
I'm a little lost with what I'm suppose to be doing. I am 5'4 and weigh 124lbs. I lost 36 lbs. Should I eat at deficit to lose weight or eat more calories to gain muscle?

Replies

• Jg04811
    Jg04811 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I am struggling with this as well. I want to hear the response
  • Icandoit233
    Icandoit233 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Anyone? Lol
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" as well. I started my first bulk when I got down to 126-129 (my weight fluctuates a lot). I think I had a decently low body fat % though because I had been lifting in a deficit all along.

Do you know your body fat %? You can also post a picture of yourself if you're comfortable.

Lifting in maintenance and running a body recomp is also an option.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Are you currently lifting weights or doing any resistance training?

Are you comfortable about how you look now?
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting read although I haven't checked the validity. http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/should-i-build-muscle-or-lose-fat-first/?awt_l=KTuz.&awt_m=44DUG4HJq20ExV5
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Depends, what are you goals from here? Gain muscle? Lose fat? Body recomp? Gain strength? Endurance? Flexibility?
  • Icandoit233
    Options
    I got 25.64% acceptable category. One percent away from fitness level. So I think I need to lose more fat. And I don't know what running a body recomp mean lol

I'm doing Jillian Michaels body revolution. I'm not sure what type of exercise it is. We use weights and body weight in videos. And I run three times a week. I'm pretty comfortable how I look beside my back. My back has much more fat than my belly. I know I can't spot reduce. It sucks.

That read was pretty helpful. I think I'm in the fat state still. It helped.

Thank you arditrose, anabolickyle and rocknut53
  • Icandoit233
    Options
    AmyRhubarb wrote: »
    Depends, what are you goals from here? Gain muscle? Lose fat? Body recomp? Gain strength? Endurance? Flexibility?

Look good in a bikini lol
    Lose fat and look lean. I feel my is in awkward stage because certain parts have a lot of fat while others are not that fatty
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I think I need to lose more fat

good luck, keep up the good work.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I got 25.64% acceptable category. One percent away from fitness level. So I think I need to lose more fat. And I don't know what running a body recomp mean lol

I'm doing Jillian Michaels body revolution. I'm not sure what type of exercise it is. We use weights and body weight in videos. And I run three times a week. I'm pretty comfortable how I look beside my back. My back has much more fat than my belly. I know I can't spot reduce. It sucks.

That read was pretty helpful. I think I'm in the fat state still. It helped.

Thank you arditrose, anabolickyle and rocknut53

I think you'll definitely want to be closer to 20% before you bulk. If you ARE comfortable now, running a body recomp would mean eating at maintenance, lifting heavy and using a program with a progressive overload...basically trying to lose a little fat, and gain a little muscle simultaneously.
  • Icandoit233
    Options
    Okay thank you for making it clear for me. My goal is to get to 20% body fat (I only ever used bmi chart so the calculator for body fat was more helpful). Thanks again :D