Organic Raw Kombucha

Options
Does anyone drink it?

If so, why do you like it?

I just tried the Cranberry and it tasted like a sour pop to me, very refreshing.

Replies

• kikiboniki
    kikiboniki Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    i really like it. not sure why, I tend to like things with interesting flavors. My favorite is ginger flavored
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I love the stuff. I had it as a kid in my basement too.

It's refreshing...and I make it myself. I see no reason not to.
  • bunnyghost
    bunnyghost Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    i haven't drank it in a while but when i was at my thinnest (110) i was drinking it everyday, so i really believe it helps with weight loss! i love it because it always made me feel full faster and it stopped my bloating. my favorite flavors were blueberry and honeydew i think c:
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    @kikiboniki @Mapalicious it's really good! I like it!

When you make it yourself do you add sugar?
  • NaturalNancy
    Options
    @flazeda yes, makes me feel full! I should drink it more often lol! Good idea! :-)
  • Mapalicious
    edited February 2016
    Options
    When you make it you HAVE to add sugar, but it gets metabolised by the SCOBY. The SCOBY (what some people call the "mushroom") is a Symbiotic Culture Of Bacteria and Yeast. Most kombucha you get in the store has gone through two fermentation stages. Both stages you add sugar, and both stages it gets metabolised.

In the first fermentation: The SCOBY feeds off of two things: caffeinated tea + sugar. You put 7-8 teabags (no flavored oils, and it must be caffeinated, so either black or green tea) in a gallon of boiling water, and add 1 cup of sugar. You let it cool down below 80 degrees F, then you put your SCOBY in. You cover it with a VERY CLEAN dishtowel for 7-10 days, keep it at room temperature, and you'll have your very own kombucha!

For the second fermentation (which is optional, but makes it yummy) you take your SCOBY out, and bottle your kombucha in 12-16 ounce jars. Add about 1.5 tbsp of flavored cordial to each bottle (I make my own with ginger juice and sugar), close it TIGHT, and then let it sit 2-3 days at room temperature. This is the part where it gets fizzy and delicious :) The sugar is only partly metabolised during this process...which is why what you buy from the store has sugar calories :)

You can also start your OWN SCOBY from what you buy at the store. DO NOT buy those silly kits online for $$. IF you want directions, message me or google it ;)

DISCLAIMER: I make zero, none, nil, zip, zilch claims that kombucha is some magical healing thing. I like it. I do what I like. I'll help others do it too.
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Some research has shown that drinking it regularly leads to antibiotic resistant organisms. Also aspergillus has been found in some unpasteurized brands. Personally I avoid it like the plague because if I ever get the plague I want the antibiotics to have a fighting chance.http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA365602/Cured-by-Kombucha.html
  • Mapalicious
    Options
    Some research has shown that drinking it regularly leads to antibiotic resistant organisms. Also aspergillus has been found in some unpasteurized brands. Personally I avoid it like the plague because if I ever get the plague I want the antibiotics to have a fighting chance.http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA365602/Cured-by-Kombucha.html

@positivepowers I've never heard of any such research, and I'm a total nerd. Can you point me to this?
  • NaturalNancy
    Options
    @Mapalicious Ohhh wow, that is very cool you can do it yourself! Thank you so much!
    I think I will just stick to the store bought one, it looks like so much work to make it from scratch, but you probably know how to so its not hard for you!
    I think it's really good!
  • bloodlinelimbo666
    Options
    I got a blueberry one the other day from sprouts and it tasted sour and smelled really bad have me a stomach ache
  • ljocker
    ljocker Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I like GT Multi-green
  • 1mstrishy
    1mstrishy Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I drink Kombucha Tea, found this article and thought I'd share:
    http://draxe.com/7-reasons-drink-kombucha-everyday/
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    And now I'm listening to System Of A Down....