hey

Options
Have a question my maintenance calories are 2,050 calories but my bmr is 1,500, everyday I eat 2,000 calories and I burn 500 calories each workout so that would mostly put me on a deficit for example 2,000 - 500 = 1,500 net calories but since I don't want to lose any weight should I eat those 500 calories back so I could meet up 2,000 calories instead of 1,500 at the end of the day if I just want to maintain?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you calculated your maintenance calories. If that is your TDEE that accounts for your exercise, then you shouldn't have to eat the calories back. If that is the maintenance number that MFP calculated for you, which wouldn't include exercise, then you'd need to eat those calories back.

The best thing to do would probably be to eat one of those numbers (in this case, either 2,050 calories or 2,550 calories) for a while and monitor your weight. If your weight declines over time, then you would need to adjust calories up. If your weight goes up over time, then you'd need to adjust your calories down.
  • jairogavilanes26
    Options
    I calculate my tdee on mfp and I put sedentary and it gave me 1,860 calories to maintain my weight
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Then you're supposed to add in your exercise calories and eat them back.
  • jairogavilanes26
    Options
    nxd10 wrote: »
    Then you're supposed to add in your exercise calories and eat them back.

So let's say my bmr is 1,500 and sedentary is 1,800 and I burn 500 fron exercise so that would be 2,300 calories maintenance?
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yes, that is right.

ETA - Assuming your exercise calories are accurate. Many method overestimate calories burned.
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It depends on how you calculated your maintenance calories. If that is your TDEE that accounts for your exercise, then you shouldn't have to eat the calories back. If that is the maintenance number that MFP calculated for you, which wouldn't include exercise, then you'd need to eat those calories back.

The best thing to do would probably be to eat one of those numbers (in this case, either 2,050 calories or 2,550 calories) for a while and monitor your weight. If your weight declines over time, then you would need to adjust calories up. If your weight goes up over time, then you'd need to adjust your calories down.

* This! Exactly!