Alcohol...

Options
I cut out alcohol completely 2 days ago. I'm wondering have any of you seen a significant weight loss from cutting out alcohol completely?

Replies

• Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    In that it significantly reduced the amount of calories I was consuming - yes. But now if I have eaten right during the day I can afford a glass or two of wine or a cocktail or something.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    No; I've drank twice in the last year+, I used to have 2-3 every weekend. I also have teetotaling relatives who have never consumed alcohol and carry extra pounds. They got their calories somewhere else.
  • 75poundgoal
    75poundgoal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I tend to see a greater weight loss when cutting out alcohol partly because of the calories in the drinks but also because I tend to want to eat more after a few drinks. I still enjoy a cocktail now and then but if I want to lose weight I have to avoid it.
  • imjustme84
    imjustme84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Whenever I drink 2-3 glasses of wine or alcohol my body holds on to excess weight even if I don't go over my calories during the day before the drink. It always makes me bloated so I just stay away from it now.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any alcohol since Thanksgiving. I deliberately cut it out to assist in my weight loss. With the calories of the alcohol itself, and the mindless munchies I get after drinking, it cut significantly into my calorie deficits.

I plan on drinking alcohol again in the future, but not nearly as often as I used to.
  • Morglez
    Morglez Posts: 46 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I have been much more successful without drinking alcohol. There are a couple reasons for that. A... I usually drink super sweet drinks that tend to pack a HUGE amount of calories per drink. B... When I get tipsy or drunk my will power bottoms out and I eat ALL the things, lol. Not too mention that I am overall feeling a ton better while not drinking. Tons more energy, my moods are SO much better and no more brain fog. I would consider myself a pretty heavy drinker when I was drinking though, so in my case, cutting out alcohol is a pretty big factor. This might not be the case for others.
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    Options
    evalenap wrote: »
    I cut out alcohol completely 2 days ago. I'm wondering have any of you seen a significant weight loss from cutting out alcohol completely?

It entirely depends on how much you drink. If you drink often, choosing to eliminate the calories from those drinks (and not replace them with something else) will definitely help your calorie deficit for losing weight. For someone like me who has 1-2 glasses of wine once every three months, it really doesn't make a difference.
  • evalenap
    evalenap Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd love to hear how many pounds were lost. I've worked out hard and counted calories in the past and the most I've lost was 10 lbs which I've nearly gained back. I'm hoping that by cutting our alcohol I can l lose a total of 20.
  • dottiestlottiest2015
    Options
    I've cut it out and I've seen greater weight loss but I think that's to do with the lack of drunk munchies than the wine calories!
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I cut out all alcohol at the beginning of the year and have lost 16 pounds by calorie counting and walking 3 days a week. I was a fairly heavy drinker though, so for me it has made a big difference. Everybody is different. Try going 30 days and see if it makes a significant difference for you.
  • joeross155
    joeross155 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Yes , I've cut out beer every day and I can tell a difference. I still drink a few on weekends
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ive lost 80 and drink like a sailor ;)

however, i dont do the high calorie mixed drinks. i do shots with zero cal soda (coke zero or sprite zero) or light beer.

i also dont associate drinking with food, like a lot of people seem to do. ill eat before i drink, but just my normal dinner.

everyone is different...
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    evalenap wrote: »

As long as one includes it in their calorie count and gets the CICO equation right (deficit) for losing, it doesn't matter. I've been dropping weight since Thanksgiving with a glass or two every night.
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    alcohol does slow down your metabolism.
  • FiNnY22
    FiNnY22 Posts: 126 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I haven't drunk since New Years Eve and I'm down 20 pounds. Alcohol is calories but as people have said here everybody is different. I will drink again soon as i find life too boring without the odd drink, ill just drink in moderation and be aware of the calories.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Mystical64 wrote: »
    alcohol does slow down your metabolism.

http://www.health.com/health/article/0,,20670897,00.html
  • binabodu
    binabodu Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    ive lost 80 and drink like a sailor ;)

however, i dont do the high calorie mixed drinks. i do shots with zero cal soda (coke zero or sprite zero) or light beer.

i also dont associate drinking with food, like a lot of people seem to do. ill eat before i drink, but just my normal dinner.

everyone is different...

I'm so happy to read this. I really don't want to quit drinking. I only drink on the weekends and have switched to red wine or vodka water. I run a calorie deficit all week to fit it in.
  • Jessika29669
    Jessika29669 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I still drink and have been losing consistently. I only drink liquor like vodka or tequila, about 3 to 6 oz dependent on how many calories I have left for the day on Fri, Sat, or Sunday-- and it just varies on how many calories I have left on how many oz. I drink. I am a big margarita fan so I will take fresh lime juice & zest and stevia and mix with the tequila, sometimes with a little sprite zero but usually just water. And same for vodka, just with lemon to make better alternatives to the sweet stuff I used to drink. Still tastes great! I'm pretty sure I will slow down/abstain one day as my fitness levels get higher and my weight gets lower to see how my body may change, but today is not that day :p
  • Sweet_Heresy
    Sweet_Heresy Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    6 months sober (recovering alcoholic), and lost 26 pounds...but I think it's more correlation than causation.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by cutting calories and eating/drinking less calories than you burn. Your choice on how you want to spend those calories.
    I was never a big drinker, and could probably count on one hand the number of glasses of wine or Bailey's I have had in the past 4 years.