Wait...your toenails can fall off if you run regularly?

Options
oocdc2
oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
I was reading a thread about running in cold weather the other day, and folks were talking about losing toenails. Is this really a thing? How does this happen, exactly?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Yep, I lose them while on long downhill hikes. Get shoes with a larger toe box and keep toenails short, that helps.
  • lizmcvey
    lizmcvey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    It is a thing, mostly for longer distances. I am doing my third marathon in a few weeks and I have not lost any toe nails though. The right shoes and socks are huge for you best shot in avoiding a nail loss. You want you shoes to have enough room for your feet but not so much that they are moving around. I would suggest getting fitted at a running store for shoes. I always suggest getting fitted for the right shoes but definitely if you are concerned with your toe nails.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    I am about 50/50 on whether or not a given marathon or Ironman will claim one of my toenails.
  • abelcat1
    abelcat1 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    It can also happen to an old lady who *jog* very slowly for a few hundreds meters alternating with walking. (Week 1-6 of c25k). Last summer my big toe nail turned black, thick and very nasty looking. Don´t know why... only now the nail is grown back to normal. Freinds and co-workers tell me, it happens to them as well now and then when they run, play socker ect. It´s not that painful. Only bare feet in cute sandals are not that atractive with no or discoloured toe nails. ;-) I have to admit,- I was kind of proud of my *sportsrelated injuri*. That never happened to me before ;-)
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I reckon having the right shoes makes the difference.
    On my second half and they're all in good nick still. At a much higher training load it may be different.
  • runsonrabbitfood
    runsonrabbitfood Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Can be preceded by black toenails.
    You want to make sure your shoes are big enough - no crammed toes. If your feet swell during runs, account for that and get slightly roomier shoes.
    I personally love and run in Altras, which have a very wide toebox and allow your toes to spread out. But that's just me. There are so many shoes out there nowadays for all kinds of runners. Everyone should find what works for them.
  • liftsalltheweights
    Options
    My toenails never fell off from running.
  • Chargunshow
    Chargunshow Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wearing the right size shoe makes a big difference. Most people insist on wearing shoes that are too small. Since your feet swell and expand when you run, especially long runs, you should size up...even up to a full size. Also depends on how the shoes are made (narrower, toe box size, etc).
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I never lost any doing 30 minutes of running regularly. But I was fitted with a men's running shoe instead of a women's, even though I am a woman. Apparently my size (UK 7) is only available in men's in some trainers. But it was good because the toes were a bit wider and a lot more comfortable that the women's.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I took up running 8 years ago, I've never lost a toenail!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Agree with those who mentioned shoes.
    If shoes are too small, the toe nails will suffer (as well as the rest of your foot). Have shoes properly fitted. The toe box has to be roomy; toes away from the sides of the shoes. Running shoes are at least a 1/2 size larger than your regular shoes to keep the feet comfortable as they expand. This protects the nails and keeps them from turning black & falling off.
  • ndrenee
    ndrenee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I lost one toenail after one of my three marathons. I agree that shoes are important. I also am religious about keeping my toe nails super short.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I lost some toenails when doing ballet, and one to trauma from two of my kids stomping it accidentally within the span of a week, but none from running, so far. My feet are narrow by today's standards, though they measure a true B, so I have to buy shoes that are not too long (if they are long enough for the 'one thumb of space at the end' then my feet will just move around too much in the shoes, I can't secure them). But narrow feet means toe boxes are usually too deep for my feet even then, which probably saves the toenails.

I do, however, take an 11 in running shoes usually... I think if trying to get into a shoe longer than my foot, I'd run out of women's sizes altogether, and men's shoes would definitely be too wide and deep.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    My shoes definitely fit correctly, but I've usually got 1 or 2 toenails in some stage of falling off or growing back. Just unlucky or I have weak nails or something, I guess.

But then, I also ski a lot in winter, and skiing is bad for it too because especially at fast speeds/steeps there is a ton of pressure pushing your toes into the hard plastic of the boot. I was losing toenails long before I started running a lot thanks to spending weekends slamming down groomed blacks at 100 km/h...
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I've run for 40 years including a couple marathons, never came close to losing a toenail. Never even had one discolored.

Watch the fit of the shoes.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    My wife and her sister and another good friend of mine are all marathon runners and put in a lot of miles...I don't recall them ever losing toe nails, but they can have some pretty gnarly blisters and *kitten* up feet after a race.
  • meganmoore112
    meganmoore112 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I've never lost any toenails. I've done 4 half marathons and one full. I haven't ever had a blister either! Good shoes, fitted to your feet, are essential. After my most recent half, one of my toes was sore but I had switched shoe brands. I have since gone back to my original brand!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I've lost toenails to livestock and dance as well as hiking and running. Come to think of it, it's the same toe each time - left big toe. Maybe the cows and horses stepping on it messed it up for life. LOL!
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I've been running for something like 10 years, and I've only ever lost one toenail. This was because I was wearing shoes that were probably half to a full size too small, so my toes just got crunched in the toebox. Ever since I figured out my true running shoe size, I haven't had any toenail issues.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i almost lost a nail as i saw it turn purple when my nails were too long and shoes were too old