Too much too fast?

Options
Hello, I joined mfp just 10 days ago. I've done pretty well sticking to the calorie plan they've given me. Most days I'm right at it, and some days I go a little over. I've already lost 14.5 lbs. I'm a bit concerned that I'm losing it too fast. Has anyone else expirenced this? I want to lose the healthy way, this doesn't seem right to me. My goal is 2 lbs per week.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It will slow down. A lot of people drop some weight the first week, it is water weight. Be happy, keep going. You can do this!

• candiejayne
    candiejayne Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ok, thanks. I'm definitely not complaining lol, was just a bit worried that I was setting myself up for an unhealthy lifestyle change.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    You're good. Imo, 2 pounds a week is pretty aggressive. If you start to feel a little peckish, you could up your intake to 1 or 1 1/2 per week instead. He who eats the most and still loses is the winner.
  • candiejayne
    Options
    I'd thought about adjusting to 1.5 per week and see how that goes.
  • queenliz99
    Options
    Your are learning to eat the proper amount of calories to sustain you for the rest of your life.

Big tip - buy a food scale and weigh everything that passes your lips, just to get an idea of portion sizes.
  • rnewyn
    rnewyn Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How much was your starting weight? Have you ever watched biggest looser? The first week they always have huge losses bevause yes, a lot is water weight. Do you feel biologically hungry? Like you are restricting your body from what it needs? If not, you're fine :)
  • candiejayne
    Options
    My start was 320. I did feel massive hunger the first few days, but it was normal hormonal can't get enough to eat time of my cycle. I feel much better now and it's slowed down. I adjusted my loss goal per week up. I also am now turning to veggies when I feel the need to snack.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    They say you lose the first 10% of your body weight the fastest, so if you feel OK, enjoy this for the first 32 lbs.! If you were losing 2+ lbs. a week going from 140 to 130, we'd worry; as it is, you're pretty typical here. I lost 18 lbs. each of my first two months, and have slowed down to about 8 lbs. a month now that I'm at 205. Later I'll slow even more. As you get lighter, you'll use fewer calories in the natural course of your day and will either slow down the loss or will have to reduce calories. You've already discovered that the most intense hunger is at the beginning, but it gets better. Good luck, and stick with it!
  • candiejayne
    Options
    Thanks Wendy! I'm over the panic lol. I've been holding steady at 14 lost for the last few days. I feel great, I'm sleeping better at night, being more productive at work, and I'm not losing concentration like I was before I changed my eating habits.
  • cblack8
    cblack8 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    That's amazing, you're definitely on the right track. Congratulations and keep doing what you're doing!
  • candiejayne
    Options
    Thanks
  • charlottemmarks
    charlottemmarks Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    There is one concern with losing weight too fast and that's gallstones. I think it happens to people that perhaps lose weight unhealthily, are prone to them, and aren't staying hydrated.

As others said, the weight loss will eventually slow and even out and isn't uncommon to drop a great deal in the first week or two due to water weight. Make sure your diet is balance, you're moving enough (and eating enough to compensate for your exercise!), stay hydrated and you'll be fine. Best of luck to you :)
  • alphastarz
    alphastarz Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Just had gallbladder surgery so I can set the record straight here.... Dr. says if you lose more than 3lbs a week on average you are at risk. Your organs struggle to process all the fat you're burning at rates higher than that. I just ran my own calc.... I had been losing weight for 180 days at a very regular rate, it came out to 3.34 lbs loss a week. I started out morbidly obese and was able to achieve that rate with 1400 net calories a day, frequent snacking and no meal skipping, balanced macros, incorporating fitness walking and all the other things that made it seem relatively moderate.
    My advice? You don't need to panic at 10 days. But it would be really wise to periodically check, and adjust if necessary. My self perception of my rate of loss the past month or so was less than the 3.34 lbs it really was, so make sure to actually do the math and play it safe at 2lbs a week, on average, over any lengthy period of time.
  • r9o1n6
    r9o1n6 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Your are learning to eat the proper amount of calories to sustain you for the rest of your life.

Big tip - buy a food scale and weigh everything that passes your lips, just to get an idea of portion sizes.

That is exactly what I did I bought a scale weight everything you can really keep track of what's going in your body