Anyone noticed yet???

brit4896
brit4896 Posts: 58 Member
edited February 2016 in Motivation and Support
So I've lost 15 pounds in about 7 weeks but nobody has noticed! My starting weight was 261 and my current is 246. So I know my size has a lot to do with it. I can see a diff in my clothes, but it's just hard not to get discouraged. Anyone else experienced this??

Replies

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Don't worry about that.

How do you feel? Noticed reduction yourself? Are you glad you've made the changes?
    Forget what others think or in this case not and do it for yourself.

Besides, friends and family can be to nice. If they don't know you are trying to loose weight, they wont just come out and say "oh you've lost weight" in the fear that you might take offence. To a non-dieter it suggests that they once thought you needed to loose weight, people like to avoid these situation.
  • dimple_gal
    dimple_gal Posts: 138 Member
    Agree with the above poster, people do notice, they just don't want to say anything. Also, once you have to start buying new clothes, you will likely start hearing comments, but might be more general like "you look great", and not specific to your weight. Also, take pictures- no matter how painful, you will be shocked when you see it.
  • Hortmama
    Hortmama Posts: 26 Member
    Yes, same thing here, 17 and nobody notices. Oh well, it is for me and like you said Brit, I notice.
  • brit4896
    Thank u for the encouraging words u guys! I do feel great and I'm proud of myself. Yes dimple_gal that will be a great day when I get to buy new clothes!!
  • brit4896
    Hortmama wrote: »
    Yes, same thing here, 17 and nobody notices. Oh well, it is for me and like you said Brit, I notice.

It's a great feeling that's for sure!!
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    People don't say anything because they don't want to call attention to your weight and they don't want to be wrong. I lost over 50lb before anyone commented, and most of the first comments were vague references to looking good, not specifically calling out weight.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Seriously, so what? We're all adults here (I think?), none of us need to be patted on the back when we do something good. Be happy with yourself, that's who you're doing this for.
  • MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    I actually dont like when people say something and I'm so far away from my goal. (because I'm kinda an introvert). I've lost 20-30 pounds before and then quit, so when they notice and I know I already gave up, I feel like crap. LOL but it's just me and not the people commenting.
  • briegirl28
    briegirl28 Posts: 121 Member
    brit4896 wrote: »
    So I've lost 15 pounds in about 7 weeks but nobody has noticed! My starting weight was 261 and my current is 246. So I know my size has a lot to do with it. I can see a diff in my clothes, but it's just hard not to get discouraged. Anyone else experienced this??

I think that when one is heavier and people see you everyday, it's harder for them to notice your weightloss . Usually they notice smaller amounts when they haven't seen you in a while. Also, some people see you for who you are so much that they sometimes don't notice physical changes right away. I know I'm often behind on noticing hair cuts and things like that.

I'm down around 30lbs since last year and people can tell. I know that they hopefully will be able to tell more once I lose more weight in my face.

What I get frustrated by is people that say they lost 20lbs and dropped 4 dress sizes. I lose 20lbs and I might go down a pants size, no guarantee.

I also feel a bit miffed when I look in the mirror and feel like I am losing weight and I get all happy and then someone takes a pic and I look big as a house. :/

Phooey. :/

Just take it one day at a time. You are doing a great job! :)
  • misty589
    misty589 Posts: 319 Member
    I'm down 14 lbs in 6 weeks, from 182 to 168 and no one has noticed, I figure after 5-10 more it'll start getting a little bit more noticeable. My clothes are a bit big, but not crazy
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Thank u for the encouraging words u guys! I do feel great and I'm proud of myself. Yes dimple_gal that will be a great day when I get to buy new clothes!!

Start saving now. There will come a day when you go to get dressed only to realize NOTHING fits. It gets a little expensive after a while ;)
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Yeah, no one notices me either. I've lost 15lbs recently and not even my spouse person noticed. I asked him if he could tell and he was like "No, not really". But I'm down a size and feel pretty good so I guess that's something. *I* can tell.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    briegirl28 wrote: »

I think that when one is heavier and people see you everyday, it's harder for them to notice your weightloss . Usually they notice smaller amounts when they haven't seen you in a while. Also, some people see you for who you are so much that they sometimes don't notice physical changes right away. I know I'm often behind on noticing hair cuts and things like that.

I'm down around 30lbs since last year and people can tell. I know that they hopefully will be able to tell more once I lose more weight in my face.

What I get frustrated by is people that say they lost 20lbs and dropped 4 dress sizes. I lose 20lbs and I might go down a pants size, no guarantee.

I also feel a bit miffed when I look in the mirror and feel like I am losing weight and I get all happy and then someone takes a pic and I look big as a house. :/

Phooey. :/

Just take it one day at a time. You are doing a great job! :)

This is it exactly. People you live with and work with don't notice the small little changes in weight from day to day. I lost about 35 pounds in my last slim down, and it wasn't until the end that my co-workers started to notice. Some of the other folks that I meet with once every 2-3 months noticed right away because the last time they saw me I was chunky, now... not so much.

Don't let it get you down. You're not doing it for them, you're doing it for YOU! This is about YOUR journey, YOUR success, YOUR health! Who cares if people do or don't say something. That's about them, not you. Some folks get jealous, or it makes them feel bad when they see other people succeed where they can't, or they are just bitter haters.... whatever. Just keep on keeping on!

Congrats on the great start! Keep it up! Eventually they will ALL notice!
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    I lost 40# before anyone commented on my weight loss. They noticed, but were reluctant to comment. I opted for not telling anyone, not even my husband or daughter. I had a lot to lose, started out at 290#.
    After the initial compliment, they came almost daily. One day my boss said to me, "hi skinny". I have never been called skinny in my life and it was a real compliment to me. To this day, I still get comments from people I don't see often. It is pretty motivating for me, even now that I am on maintenance.

I am pretty sure people are noticing your weight loss. The comments will come. It is expensive to keep buying clothes, but also pretty motivating to buy smaller sizes.

Keep on doing what you are doing, and best of luck to you!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    People might not say something, if they noticed, and they probably have, because PC ness often requires silence, particularly when another's body is concerned. Many people who have noticed, have asked my wife if everything is OK. Seems a 61 year old male can't lose 30 pounds without people thinking he's sick,

Once it become REAL noticeable, the braver of your friends will ask, often with concern (see above) and then ask for your secret. They are not impressed with our answer.

But, we do this for us, our selves, and no one else. You know how you feel, you know how you look and you like the improvement. Success.
  • VansBel374
    VansBel374 Posts: 23 Member
    I feel the same way sometimes. I asked my S/O the other day, "Can you tell I've lost weight." His answer was yes. When I asked how he said, "You don't grunt when you put your jeans on anymore." So...sometimes they notice but just don't know how to express it.
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    I was told to wait 12 weeks. After 4 weeks, you can likely see a difference, after 8 your family probably notices, after 12 everyone is likely to think it's noticeable enough to mention it.
    I personally am uncomfortable when everybody knows about it, it brings unsolicited advice and people trying to 'help' when they have no idea of your actual goals. I actually prefer for nobody to mention it unless I bring it up. That's why I like it here, like minded people who for the most part aren't pushy or weird about it.
  • brit4896
    Thanx everyone for the personal experiences, advice and encouragement!! Best of luck to you all!
  • andrewjbaker1984
    andrewjbaker1984 Posts: 33 Member
    People will notice when you buy new (smaller) clothes. Unless you were wearing clothes too small for you previously people aren't going to really notice stuff being baggier/looser on you.

Go and buy yourself a cheap top that's fits in the size (or two) below and I think you (and others) will notice a big difference
  • finnsgma
    finnsgma Posts: 55 Member
    I had to lose 20 pounds before anyone noticed and then it was constant after that. If you are noticing a difference in your clothes, remember you are doing this for you and no one else, so while it's great when people notice, at some point the weight loss will stop and you won;t be able to be motivated by other people's comments. Make sense? I remember when I finally hit goal and had maintained for several months and all the compliments stopped and I started getting paranoid. I had to remind myself that it isn;t about how other people see me but how I feel.