Fitbit Questions

Options
I'm a little behind on the fitness tracker bandwagon. When I last tried to lose weight around 4 years ago, everyone was raving about heart rate monitors from Garmin and Polar. I had a Polar monitor with a chest strap and used it primarily to track how many calories I was burning exercising. I still have that HRM, but thought I might look into some of the newer brands with lots of bells and whistles. Nowadays, it seems everyone is talking about Fitbit.

You guys probably know more about this brand and how well it works than I do, since so many of you seem to use it or at least be aware of it. Is it an accurate way of tracking calories burned? It doesn't seem to come with a chest strap, so I'm curious how it's able to keep track of heart rate and such. Is it helpful to your weight loss goals? Is it worth the high price of most of the products? And lastly, which one specifically should I get? There seem to be quite a few types. Right now I'm leaning towards the Fitbit Charge HR, but if you have better recommendations, let me know!

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    I have the FitBit Surge and i think it tracks my calories out accurately. I love their customer service too! I had a problem with my surge, emailed them and got an answer in less then a day.
  • ScaredCurly92
    ScaredCurly92 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    I have the FitBit Surge and i think it tracks my calories out accurately. I love their customer service too! I had a problem with my surge, emailed them and got an answer in less then a day.

Just looked up the FitBit Surge, and it looks awesome as well! I think I scrolled away from it at first because the price scared me away, lol. FitBit Blaze seems like a good option that's kind of between the one I was looking at and the one you have. I'll definitely keep researching to make sure I make the right choice. :)
  • sdbernier
    sdbernier Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit HR and I love it! I alternate it with my Flex when I need to charge it so I don't miss out on my steps. I have noticed that I have to move it up my wrist slightly when I'm doing circuit because of using weights but I think it's pretty accurate with my calories burned. Plus it will tell you if you've eaten too many, too few or just enough calories based on what you've burned. The pulse tracker is located underneath the band and against your wrist.
  • jhudson892
    jhudson892 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    My Fitbit not synching steps with MFP. Anyone else having this problem?
  • asawyer1970
    asawyer1970 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Me too. I'm bummed. I am especially upset that it's not syncing the food I enter in MFP w/ my fitbit.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Me too. I'm bummed. I am especially upset that it's not syncing the food I enter in MFP w/ my fitbit.

Check here:http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Lots of info for different models
  • jhudson892
    jhudson892 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks now I know not just me, appreciate it.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    There's more models that DON'T track your calorie burn than do, so make sure whatever model you have will count it. My husband and I both have Charge HRs. I bought mine in August last year, and just last month it started acting up and not syncing properly. I e-mailed support and they e-mailed me back pretty quickly and walked me through all the ways to fix it (reset, factory reset, different USB cords for charging, syncing on a computer vs phone, etc) and it still didn't work, so they sent me a new fitbit (though I think it might have been refurbished, because it came in a plastic envelope)! My husband wanted one after I got one, so we ordered it on eBay for 70$ from someone who claimed to have had received it as a gift, so it was new. When we received it, it only held a charge for 4-5 hours. Again we contacted customer service, and they walked us through how to fix it (to no avail), and because that didn't work, they sent my husband a brand new fitbit, still in the original box with the sync dongle and USB cord.

Their customer service is LITERALLY the best. The only thing I wish would be better is that when I worked in retail, the arm movements of folding a shirt would count as anywhere between 5-15 steps so I was getting an inaccurate count. Now that I'm out of retail though it seems to be counting properly. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. We've owned the Charge HR and the Zip models.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I have had a fit bit for 3 years. First a One, then a Force (no longer making this one), now a Charge HR. I love them all. It is the best motivator I have to get me to move more. Mine just vibrated so I have reached my step goal for the day @ 15,000 steps. I do have my eye on the new Blaze that is coming out in March. Maybe for my birthday or Christmas this year.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    chest strap is going to be way more accurate than any optical wrist-based HR sensor.

my fitbit is always 20-30bpm lower than what my chest strap reports. for many different activities.

i think the tech for wrist based activity trackers just isnt there yet. no actual athletes use wrist monitors for HR monitoring. they all still use chest straps. swimmers, triathletes, marathoners, etc.
  • Bbeliever215
    Bbeliever215 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I really like my fitbit! My only issue (not including my current syncing issue...give me a break mfp!)is that the charger hr isn't waterproof. I would love to start swimming again and would like at least am estimate on how much I'm burning. Otherwise, the challenges and fitness communities are awesome and inspire you to push yourself. Moreover, I like the design of the charger hr(I have the black) because it isn't bulky and quite discreet. Feel free to add me is you decide to get one! GL