How do you feel when...

Options
When... you have to dine out with your friends and you are the only person there (in the cafe/restaurant) that prepares your own healthy meal?

For me, I have mixed feelings between being proud and horrible.

Proud:
proud that I have the self discipline to prepare my own meals as well as resisting all the temptations sitting right on the table with the smell hitting you every second (Who finds it hard to resist fries and burgers from McDonald? I'm sure I'm not the only one). I also feels proud that after this meal, I would be one step closer to my goal.

Horrible:
When I am really craving for a McSpicy and fries but know that having them will put a dent in my progress and having to just "suck it up" and just eat my rolled oats with plain tuna while fighting the urge to grab a handful of fries that was offered to me.

So share your experience ladies and gentlemen! :smile:

Replies

• MimiOfTheFraserValley
    Options
    I've never prepared my own meal at a restaurant or cafe, but I do buy food that's made there, as long as there are healthier options, like salads. At least in places like McDonald's the salad dressing comes on the side. Having worked in restaurants & coffee shops myself & knowing that they don't appreciate people bringing in their own food, even if they're with customers, I'd feel horribly uncomfortable bringing in my own food, but that's just me. :smile:

I might also have one or two fries if they're offered to me, but I no longer buy them myself. I don't see the harm in having just a couple, as long as it's now & then. I do find, though, that they just don't taste nearly as good as they used to be since I've gotten away from eating fast food. I was surprised but laughed when I realised this. :smiley:
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I go out on the condition that they agree to let me pick the restaurant so I can find something that fits reasonably close to my plan.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my own food at restaurants. I buy theirs.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do this. I'd either decline the invite to eat with them or build a meal at the restaurant into my plans.

As a side note: I don't think that you should do it either and if I owned a restaurant and saw someone doing this I'd make them leave.
  • LeanAndMean1991
    LeanAndMean1991 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I wouldn't do this. I'd either decline the invite to eat with them or build a meal at the restaurant into my plans.

As a side note: I don't think that you should do it either and if I owned a restaurant and saw someone doing this I'd make them leave.

Oh, btw i forgot to mention it. Me and my friends are usually regulars of the restaurant mentioned. We knew the owner pretty well though (a friend of my uncle). I usually asked him for permission before doing so, he understood what i'm going through as he was also there when my dad passed away from a cardiac arrest due to being obese. As for other restaurant, i would likewise ask for permission first, if rejected, i would simply thank him/her and walk out.

Fast food restaurant is the only exception though
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've never prepared and taken food from home to eat at a restaurant. I find something I can eat off the menu without too much trouble everywhere I have gone.
    I have taken a spinach salad from home to have with a regular burger from a drive thru while others in the car with me were getting full meals. I felt perfectly fine with it because my salad was better than that restaurant's salads and I had planned it out to work best for me that day.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I eat off menus every time. Life is too short.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Even I do this and I have celiac disease and other food allergies. I make healthy choices, but would never insult a restaurant owner by bringing my own food to a restaurant. That's rude, IMO.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't see the point of bringing my own food. It's 1. uncomfortable for me and the restaurant staff and 2. would alienate my friends/make them uncomfortable/make me stand out in an undesirable way. If I know I will be going out I usually just have a lighter day and bank my calories for the evening to accommodate whatever I feel like having. If it's a spontaneous decision, I have a lighter dish and/or have a lighter day the next day. It's not hard to navigate social situations without appearing obsessed or obnoxious. All I needed to do is learn how to plan around them.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Dude, live a little. Your profile pic is deceiving
  • elaineamj
    elaineamj Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I'd hate it. So I work meals out into my calories. I either work out a bit extra or shave off 100-200 calories a day before/after and it all fits. It helps that I only eat out (restaurant/friend's house) about 1x a week or so though.

My one friend is a strict vegan and I love her, but it's a pain to go out to eat with her. I try to get her to choose the restaurant. Her family finally complained enough that she now allows cross-contamination (yes, she can have fries cooked in oil used to fry chicken). It's also a pain to have her over just to hang out. I certainly welcome her and will ensure there are vegan options for her - but it's such a pain that if she does come over, she tries to time it for after meals. I bet she worries about cross-contamination in my kitchen.

Her DD has multiple allergies so she will often order something plain and then whip up a sauce at the table using ingredients available (plus sometimes a little something extra from her bag).

Another friend (who lost a ton of weight) told me one of his big tricks was to eat at home before going to parties/restaurants. It worked for him and he has since been in maintenance for a few years now. But I imagine it was tough for those 4-6 months or so. I'm OK losing at a much slower pace and not stressing so much about eating out:)
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Dude, live a little. Your profile pic is deceiving

IKR?

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I would never even consider going to a restaurant and bringing my own food unless I had a medical condition that required it. It seems rude to me to take up space in a restaurant without spending any money there. I suppose it might not matter much at a big fast food chain like McD but we typically eat at places with wait staff and often local places.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,614 Member
    Options
    I think it's disrespectful...even in a fast food restaurant. The most I ever brought from the outside was my own salad dressing to save on calories and the sodium bomb that is usually the grilled chicken I'd order.

Most restaurants are happy to accomodate any dietary restrictions and even fast food joints have healthy food.

It's good the op knew the owner and had permission tho.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Are we talking McDonalds here? Hey, do what you gotta do. I'm sure the line cook ain't shedding any tears.

How many things can you order there with the same calories and macros as oats and tuna though? One meal in the context of one day isn't going to make or break you. Health is a cumulative process. Good habits are not broken in the course of one meal.

One suggestion would be to eat your oats and tuna beforehand and then order something light at the restaurant. Fries, chicken salad, yogurt parfait... whatever slop they sell there at the golden arches. Simply account for those calories and make the necessary adjustments.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I very rarely run into a situation where I'm at a restaurant and can't find something I both enjoy eating and fits my calorie goals for the day. Those situations usually arise when the restaurant visit was spur of the moment/unplanned. So far I think I've only run into this with Chik-fil-a and a Chinese restaurant. In those situations I've done the best I could and then just moved on.
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Devol82 wrote: »
    Typically when eating out my guy and I just split a meal, that way we are not overeating so much and not leaving with leftovers we will not ever eat.

Consider your punctuation LOL.
  • Devol82
    Devol82 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Devol82 wrote: »

@Stealth, is this better for you? Would not want to offend your sensibilities and such.
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    I just order off the kids menu and get lots of knowing smiles. Life is short and I value being able to spend it doing crazy things that require me to keep my body capable of doing them over eating larger plates of food.