Breakfast ideas?

Options
I'm not a very good or creative cook. I like to find recipes and try them. Does anyone have any favorites they are willing to share? Preferably breakfast because my wife cooks dinner and we both work. She's gone before me in the mornings so I make my own meals then. This healthier lifestyle is new to me. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple on work days...usually some spinach or mushrooms or some veg sautéed in coconut oil and the I add a couple eggs and some egg whites from a carton to make a scramble. I like dousing mine in Sriracha. I also usually have a bowl of oats with about 1/2 ounce of almonds and just a little honey and a low sodium V-8.

• gmrubio53
    gmrubio53 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I keep it simple on work days...usually some spinach or mushrooms or some veg sautéed in coconut oil and the I add a couple eggs and some egg whites from a carton to make a scramble. I like dousing mine in Sriracha. I also usually have a bowl of oats with about 1/2 ounce of almonds and just a little honey and a low sodium V-8.

That's awesome! I have a really hard time balancing things. That sounds like an easy well rounded mean there. Thanks man!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't cook breakfast unless I make porridge (oatmeal, semolina, millet or polenta); I can warm up and fill a pita bread, but that's it. My normal breakfast is 2 crispbread with spread, a small glass of whole milk, a piece of fruit and ditto vegetable.
  • notnikkisixx
    notnikkisixx Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    If I'm keeping it fast and simple, I like toast with a smear of hummus or mashed avocado topped with greens, sautéed tomatoes, and a fried egg (oh, and lots of hot sauce!) If I have a little more time to cook in the morning I love a breakfast bowl with bulgur wheat as the base. I'll sautee whatever veggies I have on hand then add those and an egg to the bulgur wheat.

The last 6 days I've been crunched for time and have just been making green smoothies that I eat when I get to work.
  • Lightsoh
    Lightsoh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm just strting my healthy life too here :blush:
    If I'm in a rush I grab an apple + 1 cup skimmed milk.
    Usually Soft Wholemeal Finger Roll or 1 slice of bread + 1 boiled egg + 2 Tomato Slice or anything green I can find xD I drink water or skimmed milk with it.
    Or Quaker oats - Golden Syrup Porridge, 1 pack + Skimmed milk.
  • tkillion810
    tkillion810 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Depending on what you like, these are a few of my favorites. Lots of easy recipes for these ideas.
    - Sweet potato and sausage and greens hash
    - Sauteed veggies with egg whites/egg (for a time saver you can make up omelet style eggs using muffin tins ahead of time)
    - Over night oats in a jar
    - Breakfast burrito or sandwich with your favorite stuffers
    - Toast w/ nut butter and sliced banana
    - Toast w/ avocado and runny egg
    - Oatmeal bake
  • kota4bye
    kota4bye Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    We pre make egg cups in the muffin pan and reheat during the week, and cold oats....plenty of recipes for both on pinterest..
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Are you looking specifically for traditional breakfast foods? Because often I'll eat leftovers from dinner for breakfast, or traditional breakfast foods for dinner.

As for traditional breakfast foods, I like to make a crustless quiche as the beginning of the week so that I'm only cooking once. Grease a glass pan, scramble 1 dozen eggs. Sautee whatever veggies you like, I usually do mushrooms, onions, and some sort of green, maybe add a meat, mix it all together, poor into greased pan and bake til firm. I also like to do this in my cast iron pan, where I'll cook the veggies and meat, then add the eggs, and move the whole pan straight to the oven.
  • karenburnsbot
    karenburnsbot Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Savory oatmeal (oatmeal and red lentils simmer on the stove in veggie broth and spices-- super easy)
    Avocado toast
    Smoothies
    Scrambled eggs over a piece of toast
  • msheepy00
    msheepy00 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I make a big batch of steel cut oats ones a week and then just microwave them in the morning with some frozen berries and almond milk, or if I'm feeling creative I will cube and fry an apple with cinnamon and nutmeg to put on top. Or, if I have been really good at food prep, I'll have a batch of frozen egg fritatta muffins (like these: http://www.incredibleegg.org/recipe/muffin-frittatas/) that I can just microwave, eat and go!
  • Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Just enjoyed a raspberry yogurt, All bran cereal, a little bit of miniature chocolate chips (because it goes great with raspberry), and a banana. Typically, I eat what I feel like. Don't go into the mindset that breakfast has to be breakfast foods. I have never been one for breakfast foods that often.