help getting more protein.

Options
I have recently started dieting and exercising once again. I have noticed that I'm not getting enough protein but I'm staying at or under the amount of calories I'm supposed to intake. Are there any good supplements I should think about taking?

Replies

• Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Chicken.
  • JaseG86
    JaseG86 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Agree with Chicken and try go for any protein shake you like the taste of, but at the minute I'm all for the lightly dressed shrimps or king prawns! Can't get enough of them.
    Each serving is typically 150 cals or less and usually has a good 20g of protein, with not a lot else.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Chicken
    Egg White
    0% Greek Yogurt
    Fish
    Meat
    Lentils / Pulses
  • StelleMay
    StelleMay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'll try a few protein drinks, and adding some chicken to my diet. thanks.
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    I keep beef or turkey jerky in serving sized ziplock on standby for a high protein snack. If I'm hungry it is a easy fix.
    Also what rabbitjb said
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Any meat, eggs, beans, dairy.

I personally don't do low/reduced fat/lean anything, because I find that I lose weight the best when about 50% of my calories come from fat.

Also, try to make sure that you are eating all of your calories every day. If you are routinely eating below your calories, you run the risk of putting your body in to starvation mode. Also, if your body becomes used to eating so few calories, you will have a much harder time maintaining on a regular caloric intake.
  • giantwisdom
    giantwisdom Posts: 22 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I would advise to get all your macros, especially protein, from whole foods and not supplements. Supplements are just that: supplements to a real food diet. When you are restricting calories, you want every calorie you get to be as nutritious as possible, and that means getting it from unprocessed, real food. No protein drinks, no bars, nothing from the cupboard--go straight to the fridge for your protein (canned food is the exception).

Cheap and available sources of protein:
    Any kind of meat: chicken, beef, pork, lamb, etc.
    Any kind of fish (canned tuna or salmon is very convenient to have around and requires minimal to no cooking)
    Eggs
    Milk and dairy products (e.g. yogurt. However, stay away from cheese since it is very calorie-dense)
    Legumes
    Nuts (but watch portions. Like cheese, they are calorie-dense)
  • elivelez62
    elivelez62 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Halibut Steak (Fish), 6 oz. 23 g of protein.
  • Chenry18
    Chenry18 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Egg whites, chicken, fish...I do a meal shake for breakfast 2-3x a week that has 24g
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    chicken
    steak
    fish
    jerky
    greek yogurt
    eggs/egg whites
    beans
    nuts
    protein powder
    protein bars
    canned tuna/salmon
  • jwseip
    jwseip Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    If u want something quick try pure Protein bars 19 to 21 grams of protein.
    Also dannon light and fit Greek yogurt has 12 g of protein
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,955 Member
    Options
    Protein is key to my sense of fullness and not overeating. I look at the macros for every meal and snack and adjust to make sure I am getting sufficient protein in relationship to carbs. My sweet spot is about 40-45% carbs to 25-30% protein. (The rest is fat.)

For breakfast I have smoothies which include protein powder, fruits, veggies, and foods that add fiber and fat.

I have 2-4 ounces of meat at lunch and dinner, and for those on the low side, also have cheese or cottage cheese.

For snacks, I have things like fruit with cottage cheese or yogurt. Also nuts if I can afford the calories. Or a hard boiled egg and some nuts or carrots.
  • Sutnak
    Sutnak Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    eat more dead animals.
  • ThatLadyFromMN
    ThatLadyFromMN Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I understand, I'm trying to up my protein too. I like turkey, chicken, egg whites, jerky (snack) and almonds.
  • MudstainSally
    MudstainSally Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Chicken, egg white, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, feta and nuts! Love them all.