Squat Jumps: The Natural Enemy of the Weak Pelvic Floor

Options
I have one year old twins and I am just getting back into exercising. I've had a weak bladder since the pregnancy/birth and I basically can't do squat jumps (or equivalent - anything where I land with my feet apart!) without a bit of pee coming out. Yikes. Anyway, I was wondering several things - what is a good alternative at the gym when everyone in class is doing these? And, should I do a few of the squat jumps each time? Is it *good* for my pelvic floor or not to be doing them??

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Kegels

• Clarewho
    Clarewho Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    ^yep. Download an app for your phone and do them daily, multiple times, from today. You can fix it and need to as you're still young.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Another vote for kegels.
    And in the meantime, if you can't do high impact moves in class, opt for low impact versions. For squat jumps, squat and then do a calf raise instead of jumping. Plyometric lunges? Just do normal backward stepping lunges. Tuck jumps, do squats instead. Etc.
    You might not get quite the same caloric burn, but you'll still get a good workout.
    I'd say don't do the high impact versions until you've got a stronger pelvic floor. Which.... kegels! :smiley:
  • sm_usagi
    sm_usagi Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Clarewho, do you have an app you recommend??
  • DomesticKat
    DomesticKat Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Kegels are only part of the story. Regular squats, preferably with weights, should be incorporated to help strengthen your entire pelvic floor.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I suggest seeing a physiotherapist. They can really help you find more exercises to strengthen those muscles.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i have feminine napkins in my gym bag, i wear them on squat and deadlift day and don't worry about the pee.
  • lindsayh87
    lindsayh87 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Do your kegels girl! And I've also heard of people having success with Ben Wa Balls. Having a strong core will help too. I had problems with leaking for a while, I've got two littles as well, but I've got it *mostly* under control now. If you're working out in public and worried about it in the mean time, wear black bottoms & put in a pad :)
  • ampl4
    ampl4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have four kiddos and six pregnancies total. For me, it just took time to heal. It started to get better when the youngest was 3.
  • sm_usagi
    sm_usagi Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Okay, I downloaded Kegel Trainer and set a couple of reminders per day on my phone. Definitely been wearing black pants at the gym! And taking a change of underwear for afterwards @_@
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    In class--which was OPs question--do regular squats not kegels! I can't do squat jumps because of the impact, so I do squats. No problem.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    sm_usagi wrote: »
    Okay, I downloaded Kegel Trainer and set a couple of reminders per day on my phone. Definitely been wearing black pants at the gym! And taking a change of underwear for afterwards @_@

In addition to kegels, i want to tell you about the process that you should be doing before you do ANY exercise in the gym. Although, while you're having this problem movement where you're jumping around are probably not ideal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSN0JNfO58k

After having a natural birth or hysterectomy it's pretty natural for you to have a weakened pelvic floor. These muscles are part of your core and you can absolutely strengthen them. Don't settle for stress incontinence!
  • beachysunshine
    beachysunshine Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello! I suggest, if possible, you find a physical therapist as not a whole lot of people are familiar with your condition and what exactly may be going on internally. I go to therapy for hypertonic pelvic floor and have been told to lay off intense exercise until my muscles are relaxed. Just my two cents :-)
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Sometimes just time helps, some people need to incorporate Keigels. One easy thing you can do - Every time you pee try to stop the flow 4-5 times.

Also I would personally just wear a pad and leak a little rather than modify the workout, but if you feel uncomfortable, you could talk with the class instructor ( u don't have to tell him/ her your problem u could just say you have a bad knee or something ), and have them show you low impact modifications.