Hitting 6 months - time to change?

Options
Just about at 6 months and have logged every mouthful and weighed every day. It's been great and I have lost 38lbs. I'm 5'7 and 39yrs old by the way. But I'm losing motivation now. I'm down to 147 lbs and have a healthy BMI of 23 but I would love to lose some more and increase my strength.

What to do? I really don't want to be tied to logging forever but I have been here before and let things slide. Should I just log once a week to ensure I am staying on track? I have a pretty good understanding of calories. Should I go down to weighing just once a week?

What are your experiences/advice?

Thanks

Replies

• llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I am no expert, but I am learning...to be successful in keeping your weight off, you need to stay with MFP and do maintenance to keep your weight in check. I know once I have reached maintenance, I will not leave MFP. I will check my weight weekly and probably log my food for a good while just to learn what I need to learn so I do not gain weight while in maintenance. Do what works for you. Losing the weight requires "life style changing of food habits." If you have not changed your food habits you will gain the weight back.
  • Bizzarrini
    Bizzarrini Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It was an over indulgence in wine and nibbles whilst working at home in the evenings that led to the weight gain of 45lbs. I have eliminated those and also slightly reduced my portion sizes. So I am thinking I will normally sit around 1500-2000 without much difficulty. I have also increased my walking, cycling and jogging which are easy enough to maintain. No huge changes just doing a bit more of the good stuff and a bit less of the bad!
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    You said that you would love to lose some more, but then it sounds like you want someone to tell you it's okay to slack off with logging.

In my experience, it doesn't work. Not logging = a few extra bites here and there = slippery slope = weight gain.

At least that's what happens to me.
  • jacklifts
    jacklifts Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    myabe you should eat a maintenance for a few weeks. it'll still require logging though
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Try logging once s week for a month and see his it works and you're happy with the results. Everyone is different in this regard. I logged for less than 3 months and have kept on track ever since -- nearly 21 months and 132 lbs lost. I log 1-2 days every few months just to check and I'm always right where I want for calories & macros. I am very fortunate for this, not many people here can do this.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,017 Member
    Options
    After 4 months, I took a 1-month diet break ... I ate whatever I wanted and didn't log my food. However I did do a lot of exercise and logged that.

Then I returned to the diet for another 5 months, and then took another 1- month diet break.

That seems to work for me. :)