Yea!!!! Hit the 50 pound mark today...

Options
I have never been big on forum stuff but must admit that reading many of the stories others have posted have been motivational at times when I needed. So here is hoping what I write may help someone else. We all faced the same challenge otherwise we wouldn't be on here.

Just over 6 months and 50 pounds gone and a crazy 9+ inches off the waist (yes thats where all the weight seemed to be ;) The first 40 pounds seemed to drop off quickly and the last 10 has been slower but still tending in the desired direction. For me it is not a race as Im in it for the long haul. My target is 75 pounds so well on my way with 25 pounds to go...I have learned so much about food through reading all the articles I can and really starting to understand what and when I am putting things in my body. I absolutely read every Nutrition label now and the myfitnesspal app has helped me to add structure to my food intake, meaning it is much more balanced. If I could give one tip out of the many things I have learned it would be :KICK THE SODIUM!!!! It is insane the amount we intake if we do not watch it.

This has been the change I have been thinking about for years but for some reason could never get going. There is no going back.

Thank you to all for your part in helping me.

Replies

• SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    Congrats, excellent work!!
  • Alysia82
    Alysia82 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Congratulations
  • rdgfreshstart2016
    rdgfreshstart2016 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Congratulations - you got this
  • alynxx2016
    alynxx2016 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • nomoyoyoing
    nomoyoyoing Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!!! Your hard work paid off in adding years to your life!
  • Nightfly01
    Nightfly01 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Sodium, really? Interesting. We all looks at carbs, sugars but I do not pay attention to sodium at all.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Great progress! No going back is the key. Lifestyle changes will always work better than crash or fad diets. Kudos on your success!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Great job! I know my sodium can be way off a lot of days and I need to work on that part a lot more. I've cut out a lot of it by keeping away from as much processed stuff as I can. But it's shocking the sodium that is in some things you don't expect. It's a required thing but not at the levels most people consume it. I have never been one to add salt to food but I've bee working at fresh ground pepper and Himalayan pink sea salt only with other herbs and onion/garlic powders.
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    So great! Congrats! Very hard to keep the sodium low, as well as sugars and sat fats... great point
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Great going!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    B)
  • ForMe2No
    ForMe2No Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Congrats! As for the sodium you are so correct. Even though I am a diabetic the sodium is what I paid attention to the most because I was also taking BP medication. And that is still the main number that I look at and make sure I don't go over and all the other numbers actually seemed to fall into place. I am now off all medication and I still look at the sodium content first. As I result I don't swell up like I used too. I never realized why my feet and legs would swell the way they do...it was the sodium.

Anyway back to you. Congrats 50lbs is no small feat and the 25 more will come! Keep up the good work!
  • plectrum29
    plectrum29 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am the same, I look at the sodium first. I also noticed that when I got that under control the other numbers seemed to fall in line. Thanks so much.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Well done!
  • samjoy
    samjoy Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss!

very interesting point about the sodium. It makes sense - if you are under on the sodium, you're probably eating very little processed foods - especially things like chips and sauces that really add up the calories and the sodium! I'll have to follow this as well....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!