Sad but true...

Options
Power
Power Posts: 27 Member
Hi,

I am a 34 year old former Marine, now a lazy mechanical engineer. I was once very skinny (6'1 175) and then when I joined the Corps, I found my love of weightlifting. I grew to 209 pounds and was in very good shape. When I left the Corps, I attended college and basically just became lazy. I sit around and do nothing, despite how much I love lifting and martial arts.

I have balooned to 254 pounds. The frame of my former self is still there, i.e. you can tell that once upon a time I was muscular, but most of the muscle is gone and it has been replced by fat.

Worse yet is that I carry it all in the midsection, which means a much higher risk of heart disease and all that wonderful goodness...

So, I have decided that I need to fix myself. I have a son and daughter who should not grow up with this example of fitness, or lack thereof.

I am also honest with myself and know that I need a place where I can talk with people about what is going on, find praise of accomplishments and motivation when I feel like quitting. Call it a personality flaw, but I crave the approval of other people for what I am doing... it feeds me.

When I look back at my weightlifting days, the reason I made so much progress was that my platoon members were impressed by each bit of muslce growth, each new amount of weight lifted and they gave me flack when they caught me with pizza. I felt a responsibility to report my gains and losses to them because they were my peers.

Today I really have no peers. I work alone most of the time and my wife is overweight as well...

That's the reality of it... sad but true... so I am signing on with all of you, so I can find new peers... healthy peers who can help me... and maybe I can help some, too. I'm a great motivator :)

My goal is to get lean and powerful again. I once felt like I could just move stuff... know what I mean? I just felt like I had power!

Replies

• Power
    Options
    Hi,

I am a 34 year old former Marine, now a lazy mechanical engineer. I was once very skinny (6'1 175) and then when I joined the Corps, I found my love of weightlifting. I grew to 209 pounds and was in very good shape. When I left the Corps, I attended college and basically just became lazy. I sit around and do nothing, despite how much I love lifting and martial arts.

I have balooned to 254 pounds. The frame of my former self is still there, i.e. you can tell that once upon a time I was muscular, but most of the muscle is gone and it has been replced by fat.

Worse yet is that I carry it all in the midsection, which means a much higher risk of heart disease and all that wonderful goodness...

So, I have decided that I need to fix myself. I have a son and daughter who should not grow up with this example of fitness, or lack thereof.

I am also honest with myself and know that I need a place where I can talk with people about what is going on, find praise of accomplishments and motivation when I feel like quitting. Call it a personality flaw, but I crave the approval of other people for what I am doing... it feeds me.

When I look back at my weightlifting days, the reason I made so much progress was that my platoon members were impressed by each bit of muslce growth, each new amount of weight lifted and they gave me flack when they caught me with pizza. I felt a responsibility to report my gains and losses to them because they were my peers.

Today I really have no peers. I work alone most of the time and my wife is overweight as well...

That's the reality of it... sad but true... so I am signing on with all of you, so I can find new peers... healthy peers who can help me... and maybe I can help some, too. I'm a great motivator :)

My goal is to get lean and powerful again. I once felt like I could just move stuff... know what I mean? I just felt like I had power!
  • Mattysmomma
    Options
    I know the feeling.... I am in the reserves, I once was very lean (not exactly skinny) After I had my daughter I am fat and still in the reserves. My boyfriend is also overweight. I joined a gym 3 weeks ago and I luv it. I have others to talk to now!
  • wildkat318
    wildkat318 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Welcome Power! This is a great site, you will find that motivation you need! Just as laziness begets laziness so does movement! So just start moving and you will start to feel better and more powerful and that will be motivation. You will see your former self in no time! Because despite that you have extra pounds, your powerful self is in there, just waiting to come out again!

Go for it and we're all here with you, doing the same! :drinker:
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    The good news is, by recognizing you need to make a change, you already have "power". :smile:

You'll find a lot of support/motivation here! And since you're a man, all the attention you could want! :laugh:

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the site! :flowerforyou: And yes, you CAN do this and you will! This is a wonderful site and all the resources you need, are here. Make sure you read the posts for newbies under Community and then General Weightloss/Diet. Good info in there to get you started and answer a lot of your questions! :flowerforyou:
  • Power
    Options
    Yeah, what's with the lack of guys... oh well, they miss out on all the fun!
  • renae77
    renae77 Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP! You can do this and this site is really great! Good luck!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options

kellch scares them away. hush.gif
  • Power
    Options
    I guess so, with the wieghtloss numbers she has... nicely done!
  • kellch
    kellch Posts: 7,849 Member
    Options

kellch scares them away. hush.gif

:angry:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Keep posting, Power.
    This is the great support group I have ever belonged to!
    WELCOME TO THE MFP FAMILY!! :flowerforyou:
  • cjbranson
    cjbranson Posts: 121
    Options

It's so great that you're reaching out looking for the accountability you need. I was going to let you know that while my husband isn't on this board (yet) he's also doing P90X and is blogging about it everyday. Check out his blog and introduce yourself... sounds like ya'll might have some things in common. He'd love to hear from you!!

His blog address is branson90x.blogspot.com