My scale is driving me nuts!

Options
Does anyone have a scale that is consistent? I am about to throw mine out the window! I can step on it 3 times in a row and get 3 different numbers, this morning I either lost another pound or I gained 4. Its a new scale and a new battery. If anyone has a brand suggestion that would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• murp4069
    murp4069 Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I have an EatSmart scale from Amazon (~$30) and a Fitbit Aria scale (~$130), one in each bathroom. They both have consistent weights - if I step on one in one bathroom and then go to the other, the weight is usually the same, and has never been off by more than +/- 0.2 lbs. Both scales are extremely sensitive to being moved though, so I have to calibrate them each week after I move them to clean the bathrooms.
  • marywoo55
    marywoo55 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you calibrated it, just put your foot on it to bring up the zeros, then take foot off, when the screen goes blank you then step on and it should give you correct reading.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    take battery out, put it back in and let the scale calibrate itself before stepping on it the first time.
    what we had to do with a previous scale, it worked fine afterwards.

if does not work, we are currently happy with the below and its only $20 right now.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YTAZ426?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Make sure the scale is on a flat surface and that there is nothing stuck under it. I used to have a cat that liked to play with q-tips. Sometimes he would lose them under my scale and it would always mess up the readings. You might also want to check out the owners manual, if there is one.
  • Fursian
    Fursian Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    aim_3 wrote: »
    Make sure the scale is on a flat surface and that there is nothing stuck under it. I used to have a cat that liked to play with q-tips. Sometimes he would lose them under my scale and it would always mess up the readings. You might also want to check out the owners manual, if there is one.

Saboteur! lol. How cute and funny

shanahtehya, my scale does the same thing. Personal preference at this point, but I step on it about 5 or more times and just go with the number I saw the most. Some have suggested stepping on it ONCE, and just going with that number.
  • cJOYv6881
    cJOYv6881 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Definitely make sure your floor is level under the scale! We moved our scale once from one side of the bathroom to the other and everyone in the family gained ten pounds overnight! Switched it back and everything was fine. I usually take a few readings in a row and record the average of them, there's usually a difference of a pound or two between readings.
  • chaoticdreams
    chaoticdreams Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    murp4069 wrote: »
    I have an EatSmart scale from Amazon (~$30) and a Fitbit Aria scale (~$130), one in each bathroom. They both have consistent weights - if I step on one in one bathroom and then go to the other, the weight is usually the same, and has never been off by more than +/- 0.2 lbs. Both scales are extremely sensitive to being moved though, so I have to calibrate them each week after I move them to clean the bathrooms.

I have the EatSmart. It even matches my Dr.'s office scale. Been thinking about getting an Aria, but I love the EatSmart so much don't really see a need at this point. And yep, you definitely have to calibrate every time it's moved, but that's not so hard.
  • 2fastasleep
    2fastasleep Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I just bought one. It gave me beautifully complimentary numbers until I took if off the carpet and put it on a hard and level kitchen floor. Then it told the truth. Not so kind!

Levellest surface possible to keep the numbers precise and realistic.
  • ParadiseLost91
    ParadiseLost91 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Just never move it!
    I couldn't believe I sometimes gained 5 kgs overnight, or lost 3 kgs overnight. The reason turned out to be that I put my scales away after I've used them because they take up space (my apartment is small).
    And because my wooden floor is uneven all over, it would give me a different reading every time.
    Now I never pick up my scale, I leave it where it is and this gives me consistent readings :)
  • 75poundgoal
    75poundgoal Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I also have the eatsmart and it has always been consistent. I dont move it though and it always stays on a level surface.
  • tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Tanita. Look for reviews.