1200 Net? How does excercise affect it?

Options
kimaboyd
kimaboyd Posts: 23 Member
edited February 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
So my goal is 1200 calories - so I know on a day where I eat 1200 and do no exercise I net to 1200.

But say my goal is 1200 - 1200 food + 400 excercise = 400 left .... So my question is as long as I eat 1200 or do I need to net 1200? I know 1200 is the lowest you should go that is why I am asking

Replies

• ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Eat 1200, and, depending on how you're counting your exercise calories, some or all of those, too. The goal is to be in calorie deficit based on your total daily caloric expenditure. :)
    I usually eat back half of my exercise cals, based on my fitness tracker calculations, and it seems to be working well.
  • kimaboyd
    Options
    Eat 1200, and, depending on how you're counting your exercise calories, some or all of those, too. The goal is to be in calorie deficit based on your total daily caloric expenditure. :)
    I usually eat back half of my exercise cals, based on my fitness tracker calculations, and it seems to be working well.

So I am still not understanding - so if my goal is 1200 and I eat 1200 then add 400 excercise then I am back down to 800 net - so do I need to eat 400 to get back to the goal of 1200?
  • kimaboyd
    Options
    I guess I am asking if my calories need to net out to the 1200 goal or if I need to eat 1200 and then if I excercise I can be lower than 1200 for the day
  • shay5458
    shay5458 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    kimaboyd wrote: »
    I guess I am asking if my calories need to net out to the 1200 goal or if I need to eat 1200 and then if I excercise I can be lower than 1200 for the day
    It depends on your weight loss goals and how hungry you are. If you consume 1200 net calories for the day but then burn 400 calories while exercising, you will create a deficit which is good if you're trying to lose weight. This app will add back the calories burned from exercising so technically you could eat 400 more calories but you're not creating that deficit when you do so you'd be more likely to maintain your weight. Although if you're still hungry after working out I wouldn't feel bad for choosing a healthy snack.
  • kimaboyd
    Options
    shay5458 wrote: »
    It depends on your weight loss goals and how hungry you are. If you consume 1200 net calories for the day but then burn 400 calories while exercising, you will create a deficit which is good if you're trying to lose weight. This app will add back the calories burned from exercising so technically you could eat 400 more calories but you're not creating that deficit when you do so you'd be more likely to maintain your weight. Although if you're still hungry after working out I wouldn't feel bad for choosing a healthy snack.

So if I eat 1200 calories and do no excercise I will only maintain and not lose since I am not creating a deficit under 1200?
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

This is wrong!!!

when you fill in your stats here on MFP. And set it to lose weight, the deficit is build in!
    So when you put in 1lbs losing a week and MFP gives you 1200 to eat that is already with deficit of 500 calories.
    Now when you are going to exercise say 400 calories you make your deficit bigger so 900.
    But MFP is the NEAT system which means that you eat you exercise calories back
    But of overestimation of those calories most people only eat half of them back

So when you follow MFP system the deficit is build in the daily calorie allowance!

95069916.png
  • Labyrinthine93
    Labyrinthine93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    If your MFP is set to lose at 1200 you are already in a deficit. If you add exercise you are just making it bigger. Unless your maintenance is 1200, which I highly doubt unless you are really short, you will lose weight. I would suggest you eat the 400 it gives you.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

So if I eat 1200 calories and do no excercise I will only maintain and not lose since I am not creating a deficit under 1200?

Eat the NET allowed calories kimaboyd and you will be fine.
    Really.

I lost all my weight that way in 400 days. And many many others here.

95069916.png
  • ParadiseLost91
    ParadiseLost91 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I eat a net of 1200 calories a day. If I one day exercise for 400 calories, I will eat 1200 calories + 400 calories.
    I hope this answers your question.
    Some will say the exercise is then wasted, but not for me. Exercise is good for the heart and your muscles. I choose to eat my exercise calories because I feel hungry most of the time on this diet. Not eating my exercise calories would make me quit the diet, I think. So yeah.
    1200 calories is the minimum requirment for your body, which is why it's okay to eat your exercise calories so you don't go below 1200 in net.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I prelog my day every morning, and almost always start off in the red! Exercising bring it back down into the green