Oats to water ratio for crockpot?

Options
pinggolfer96
pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
i just want a simple recipe for slow cooker oatmeal. Basically just the oats and water lol. But I'm seeing different measurements everywhere. What's the typical ratio? Also, is there any other type of oats you can use besides Steele cut, or do those usually work best? Also the cooking time for them in the slow cooker?? Thanks!(:

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Oats are forgiving, so it it not necessary to get the water exactly right. I used to make steel cut over night: put them in before bed and eat them about 8 or 9 hours later.
    Rolled oats do not need the crockpot. Those "cook" very well overnight in the refrigerator.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The finer the flake, the faster the cooking time for oats. The instant packets, well, are nearly instantaneous.

My dad has vivid memories of one of his great aunts serving him oatmeal in the morning. When she was a lass, oatmeal only came one way (steel cut). It would take cooking all night at the back of the stove (crock pot style). When flake oatmeal became the norm, she cooked the flakes the same way and came out with a product that dad described as glue.

Only cook the steel cut overnight.

The proportion of water to oats is two to one. Two cups water to one cup oats.

The only cereal that is an exception to this two to one ratio is Red River cereal (which can be cooked the same as steel cut) which is four cups water to one cup cereal.
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    2 cups of water/fluids for each cup of steel oats is the norm but, in slow cooker you double the fluids (learned that the hard way after my first try of just using 2 1/2 cups resulted in a dried up hard block of oats). you cook them overnight on low, about 8-9hrs. if you don't eant to be scraping up dried up finish oatmeal from the bottom in the AM, spray cooker with some pam spray, helps most times.
  • katzenfluff
    katzenfluff Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    4 or 5 cups water or milk or almond milk
    1 cup steel cut oats
    3 or 4 tablespoons lightly packed brown sugar
    Cook on high 3 hours.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    4:1 ratio was wayyyy to much water! Lol
    I did use a myoatmeal Blend of Steele cut oats, their flavoring, and some cherry and nut add ins. So maybe it was my fault not factoring in the weight of those considering they probably take up just as much weight as the oats.....oh well I'll try again with more water next time! I let them reduce though and they were still amazing!(:
  • MrsSylvie
    MrsSylvie Posts: 301 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    4:1 ratio was wayyyy to much water! Lol
    I did use a myoatmeal Blend of Steele cut oats, their flavoring, and some cherry and nut add ins. So maybe it was my fault not factoring in the weight of those considering they probably take up just as much weight as the oats.....oh well I'll try again with more water next time! I let them reduce though and they were still amazing!(:

its your fault, you said just the oats & water aka plain :wink:

for a pre-mix blend, its definitely different!
    in my own blend, the dried apples/dried cranberries/walnuts alone weight close to 500g, the oats 200g and i have to add up to 1 1/2 cups of extra water. if i was to mix it all together and only make 1cp, say 100g worth of the blend, the water required would only be about 1cp max.

what does your blend package say to add?
  • mis1022
    mis1022 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Best recipe I use multi times a week. I do add chopped apples, cinnamon and brown sugar but the best way to cook oatmeal in the crock pot use 1 cup steel cut oats to 5 cups water, or milk water mixture of you choose. But here is the secret mix in a large glass bowl, then put the bowl in the crock pot, fill water around the bowl in the crock pot up to half way. Cover, low 8 hours and it will be creamy. If you like it less creamy use 4 cups of liquid.