how to take a compliment?

Options
I don't think I am bad looking but I don't know what to say to people when given a compliment. I automatically think they are lying. Any suggestions on how to better take them?

Replies

• gnat45
    gnat45 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    smile and say "thank you"!
  • MrsH06
    MrsH06 Posts: 159
    Options
    Well I of course say thank you :) hehe
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    i laugh and smile even when it's awkward and say "oh, thanks." people usually know that making comments will make you uncomfortable, so they will excuse that behavior i think
  • Dahlface13
    Dahlface13 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Smile big and say "thank you" in your most convincing happy voice. Then the next time you are looking in the mirror try your darndest to see what they say and accept it. Eventually it will feel less awkward because you'll know and believe it, too. Own your beauty!
  • coakes31
    coakes31 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Im trying to learn myself with this. I say thanks and smile but in my head I start analyzing it of what I think they really mean, etc etc..lol

I just need to keep telling myself that I am all the things (good things) that people say to me and not think of the negative things Ive heard in the past or read between the lines.

We ALL are beautiful people, inside and out. It just takes us a little longer to believe that. Or at least thats my opinion. =)
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I don't think I am bad looking but I don't know what to say to people when given a compliment. I automatically think they are lying. Any suggestions on how to better take them?

You are very cute, own it.

Try this,
    General response: Smile and say thanks or just smile.
    Confident response, Yes, I know
  • Ashleypeterson37
    Ashleypeterson37 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way! My husband told me I was beautiful today and I said he was blind and laughed. I don't know how to accept a compliment without something negative about myself flying out of my mouth. Going to be one tough habit to break!
  • barefootbeautiful
    Options
    Say "Oh, thanks so much. I've been working really hard." If someone goes out of their way to pay you a compliment, you should go out of your way to be gracious. While I understand that, as a group, we women are not great at taking a compliment, we we need to understand that it IS, in fact, someone positively noticing a change in you. Allow them that, and allow yourself to receive it.
  • skinnyme125
    skinnyme125 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I am just as bad and always try to take the focus off the compliment I also just need to learn to say Thank you and let it be.
  • pftjill
    pftjill Posts: 488
    Options
    I know-I always laugh. This Sunday at church the compliments were flying out of peoples mouths. So it must be true-haha. Anyhow, I was reading a book and it said when people compliment you you should say out loud Thank You, then in your head say-I Know. This helps you to take the compliment better and helps you feel better!!
  • Elixandra
    Elixandra Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I need to learn how to just say thanks and not say ya right in my head. Or say sure. Its kind of hard to just say thanks I guess when you fell so down about yourself. : / I'll learn some day. :D