Home Work Outs

Options
How does everyone stay motivated to work out at home? I find myself staring longingly at the couch or the fridge, but sometimes I just DON'T have to time to go to the gym and need to be able to get some type of workout in. I sporadically will go through periods of working out to videos, but then I find myself sitting on the floor watching them. There is just no accountability, and then I feel upset with myself and make a million excuses. HELP!

Replies

• Bristle82
    Bristle82 Posts: 100
    Options
    I have a Zumba workout which is about an hour long... I pick 4 favourites to do every other day... it can be a challenge but once you get into it, it's fun.

I also do skipping and running through the week to break up the dvd.... remember to have a day or 2 off so it doesnt become a chore!

Keep positive :)
  • abbeyash
    abbeyash Posts: 3
    Options
    For the summer, go to TONEITUP.COM and there are a ton of work outs that aren't long at all! I do them at least 3-4 times a week and love them!
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I have always been a "work out at home" kind of gal... I hate sweating in public! I think to get started you should make it part of your routine the same as the gym. That couch may look comfortable, but tell yourself that you don't get to sit on that couch until you've done 15 minutes of exercise. Once you get started, you'll just keep going, hopefully. Getting to start the workout is half the battle.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I have 30 day shred, Zumba dance party, Wii Just Dance, and a bowflex that i bounce around. I also have the elliptical machine which has been great for coats and taking up space. I committed to the 30 day shred so i make sure i get it done. it is only 20 minutes long and you burn about 200 calories. After i do that anything else i do is a bonus. i have my calories very low so i need to exercise in order to eat more food.
  • haleycreations
    haleycreations Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Well I found myself one day talking to my father about a year ago now and he was telling me that when my two little girls who are now 6 and 10 would come and visit that they would say Daddy always is sleeping. I was suffering from depression and anxiety with high blood pressure and no motivation if you could imagine. I decided to order Insanity and change what I was doing with my life and my health. I know that you say you have done the workouts and that you are not motivated and you will have to find the reason why you want to either be in shape or what the WHY is for you.
    I chose to be around for my daughters when they get married and that is my WHY. I am new on this site and I am already happy that I joined and I would love to have friends that would give me advice when I need it so feel free to take it for what it is worth. I lost 55 lbs doing my programs and have since stopped taking all my medication and feel very on top of the world with the new chapter that I am going to start very soon.
  • MoonIite
    MoonIite Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I do Turbo Jam and I never get tired of doing it. I rotate the workouts so everyday I'm always doing something different. The only thing that demotivates me is when I step on the scale and see a gain. Maybe you ought to try a non-traditional workout like Zumba.
  • bethany_22
    bethany_22 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Find someone to work out with. that's what i do and it helps. i work out with my mom and we keep each other motivated. we also listen to upbeat music and when we feel like the work out is getting tough we scream the words to the song and push through it (:
  • Vipecap
    Vipecap Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Visit www.bodyrock.tv . the lady that runs it knows her stuff and everything is meant to be done at home with minimal equipment that you can find around the house.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You just have to do it.

also...

I do mine at 4 am in the morning to just get it over with. Once you get started, you won't stop.
  • janel814
    janel814 Posts: 88
    Options
    I found that it takes finding a workout that interest you. I had tried a lot of different DVDs (Billy Banks, Jillian, The Firm, etc.) and it wasn't until I ordered Turbo FIre that I have been able to stay with a DVD program. I just pasted my 20 week mark! And I tell you I have those mornings were I don't feel like working out but once I start I make it through and feel so much better after.

Lesson for the above story....Find your soulmate workout!! Good luck and Beachbody has a little something for everyone if you are interested.
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I do Turbo Jam and I never get tired of doing it. I rotate the workouts so everyday I'm always doing something different. The only thing that demotivates me is when I step on the scale and see a gain. Maybe you ought to try a non-traditional workout like Zumba.

Turbo Jam is intense...rocking music and high tempo working. Great choice!
  • wbond
    wbond Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I found that it takes finding a workout that interest you. I had tried a lot of different DVDs (Billy Banks, Jillian, The Firm, etc.) and it wasn't until I ordered Turbo FIre that I have been able to stay with a DVD program. I just pasted my 20 week mark! And I tell you I have those mornings were I don't feel like working out but once I start I make it through and feel so much better after.

Lesson for the above story....Find your soulmate workout!! Good luck and Beachbody has a little something for everyone if you are interested.

That is why it is climbing up the charts as one of Beachbody's premier workouts!
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I do mine whenever I have time or feel like it - even if it's late!
    I put together this playlist of QUICK workouts:
    http://www.youtube.com/playlist?p=PL493E9C28673DA349&feature=mh_lolz
    Usually, by the time I'm done with a 2 minute or a 5 minute walk, I am ready to take on more and WANT to!
  • chantel111184
    chantel111184 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    For me i have been setting myself monthly challenges at home exercises that take all of a few minutes as i find i get bored with the exerise dvds after a while.
    Here's an example of my challenge for this month, i have it printed out and stuck on my fridge and mark it off during the day as and when i complete an exercise. I wil change it again next month.

Month Exercise Challenge 20th june- 10th july
    1) 100 sit ups
    2) 30 push ups
    3) jumping jacks (each time tv advert comes on)
    4) 20 minute walk 3 days a week
    5) 10 stomach vacuums per day
    6) 30 minutes of weights 3 days a week
    7) 15 minutes running on the spot
    8) 15 minutes on exercise bike
    9) 10 minutes up and down stairs 3 days a week
    10) Drink 2 litres of water per day don't sit for longer then 30 minutes at a time.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I do mine at 4 am in the morning to just get it over with. Once you get started, you won't stop.

I also get up extra early in the morning so I can get it done without any interruptions, before everyone else gets up. Eventually it will just become routine. I actually feel guilty when I miss a workout (like today -- I overslept!). So, even though I would love to sleep in a little longer, I feel better about myself when I get up and exercise. I do either the 30-day shred or the 6-week six-pack.
  • vthomeschoolmom
    vthomeschoolmom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am about 200% more likely to blow it off in the evening than the morning. I put my workout clothes on the dresser the night before and a water bottle in the fridge. I put the video I want in the player. When I get up in the morning, I am kind of brainless. I take advantage of that by mindlessly following the script I set out for myself the night before. I feel invigorated for the day rather than facing the workout after a long day at work.
  • defygravity0915
    Options
    What beautiful motivation! Thanks so much for sharing your story with me! Hearing other people's motivation believe it or not is helpful to me. Who am I to complain about not feeling motivated when we are talking about Life and Health and children's PARENTS!? Thank you for some much needed perspective!
  • defygravity0915
    Options
    Brilliant! I'm going to try that...my mom does that with Yoga in the morning and I always teased her about it. I guess you and her know what your doing.
  • defygravity0915
    Options
    Thanks so much! I need to try some different videos!
  • B3Streeter
    B3Streeter Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Probably TMI but I do my workouts in my sports bra and underwear. Seeing my body as I am working out is the best motivator to keep going!