How Splenda is deceiving you...

Options
live2dream
live2dream Posts: 614 Member
I see many people use artificial sweetener (hello, it's in practically everything that's sugar-free or diet!!) Do you ever wonder why there are no calories in these products...

Must watch: http://www.foodista.com/blog/2011/06/20/how-splenda-is-deceving-you. Love Dr Mercola! :)

Replies

• acanary
    acanary Posts: 5
    Options
    I found true delight in an all natural sweetner, Ideal. It is made from fruit and vegetable fibers. It is so awesome!!
  • melbaby925
    melbaby925 Posts: 613
    Options
    Isn't Mercola's site the best? I'm 9 weeks soda free...mostly as a result of his website. Never will I touch another artificial sweet product again!
  • sweetdianachka
    sweetdianachka Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    thank you! I use Truvia or Splenda about once a day in my coffee. Definitely makes me want to throw it out now.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    thank you! I use Truvia or Splenda about once a day in my coffee. Definitely makes me want to throw it out now.

Stevia isn't artificial. It's just as natural as cane sugar. Don't toss it. :) It's just the crystallized solids of another plant. I loooove my Truvia. Plus, it doesn't register as a sugar in the body so it never turns to fat. :)
  • live2dream
    Options
    I highly recommend Sweetleaf Stevia- I like the drops for my tea, coffee, etc... The lemon and chocolate flavors are good too! :) I would get Lakanto too, but it's more expensive..

I don't really support Truvia since it's made by Cargill/Coca Cola - processed & patented by Big Pharma... http://biophile.co.za/health/stevia-vs-“truvia”-health-vs-poison
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I see many people use artificial sweetener (hello, it's in practically everything that's sugar-free or diet!!) Do you ever wonder why there are no calories in these products...

Must watch: http://www.foodista.com/blog/2011/06/20/how-splenda-is-deceving-you. Love Dr Mercola! :)
    Thank you, I enjoyed viewing the video! I'm all about getting healthier in a healthy way, so to learn more about about unhealthy foods out there is a good thing for us all. I don't do much artificial sweetener but I'm sure it's in occasional foods I eat.

Appreciate the reminders to eat more consciously.:wink::flowerforyou:
  • live2dream
    Options

Thank you, I enjoyed viewing the video! I'm all about getting healthier in a healthy way, so to learn more about about unhealthy foods out there is a good thing for us all. I don't do much artificial sweetener but I'm sure it's in occasional foods I eat.

Appreciate the reminders to eat more consciously.:wink::flowerforyou:

You're welcome! I've learned SOOO much from Dr. Mercola's website. Check it out at mercola.com. He also has great products, but I can't afford them all the time...I have to wait for the sales. :) I mostly dig the articles!
  • live2dream
    Options
    bump
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    truvia and purvia both contain alchahol sugars, not a great idea instead use sweet leaf, pure via, or stevia in the raw, only extra thing in any of them is dextrose and just enough to make it eaiser to measure when not in packet type packaging.

truvia and purvia are made by cocoa coala and pepsi co respectively.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    truvia and purvia both contain alchahol sugars, not a great idea instead use sweet leaf, pure via, or stevia in the raw, only extra thing in any of them is dextrose and just enough to make it eaiser to measure when not in packet type packaging.

truvia and purvia are made by cocoa coala and pepsi co respectively.
    I appreciate you clarifying that, thank you!:happy:
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    yes, bump to watch later today
  • rita74
    rita74 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I have cut out splenda for almost 10 months now and this is a reminder of just how good that decision was!
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Eh, I'm still going to keep using my splenda. Cheerios and banana just aren't the same without it. Ooh, and I just found splenda in the store last night with 1 gram of fiber per tsp. :D I'm going to be using that to make chocolate chip softie cookies and banana nut bread.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    One of my friends is studying to be a nutritionist and has been hounding (not really, but she's pretty convincing) about how Splenda, while it's made from sugar, is processed in such a way in your body that it becomes formaldehyde. (Trust me, it's not a nice smelling liquid.) She did also mention that it makes you eat more because of the lack of sweetness. I am now using Truvia and it's awesome. I did try pure sugar for a while, but 15 calories for one packet?! No thanks. Aside from coffee, I don't really drink anything anymore that requires a sweetener.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Dr. Mercola was warned by the government to stop giving out false information for profit.

I find it extremely hypocritical that you told me to quit drinking the Kool-Aid, as you listen to the one figure in American nutrition who is undoubtedly a quack. I mean he's somewhere between tinfoil hat and batshi* crazy; he told people that your body will absorb chlorine from the shower, that microwaving food makes it chemically unstable, and flip-flopped more times on dietary cholesterol/saturated fat than I can stand to count.

You have fun drinking your Kool-Aid, OP, by a guy who is living in his $2 million mansion because of easily impressionable people like you who don't pay attention to the science and rather buy into the paranoid hype that everyone is out to get you. I'll keep listening to the researchers worldwide (again, with ZERO affiliation to the US government) who have attained the same results that Splenda is perfectly fine.

This message was brought to you by reality. Hope to see you here soon.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Dear everyone,

Within nutrition we have various kinds of studies: epidemiological, biochemical, and clinical trial.

The first one looks at trends. The second one looks at the biomechanics behind substances. The third one looks at the practical application of everyday consumption of products. The first two are NOT good for determining the safety of a product. The third one IS.

Splenda has been shown to be PERFECTLY SAFE in the third type of study. Anyone who thinks otherwise is too fixated on the biomechanical research, which is done as follows: take a bunch of rats, feed them 50x the serving size of the substance in question, measure outcomes. That's great for learning about the biochemical pathways of different substances, but who here intends on eating a pound of Splenda in a day? I sure don't. So why the heck are you judging the efficacy or safety of Splenda based off a study that is not MEANT to be applied to the practical consumption of the product?

If a study came out saying, "don't drink alcohol, because when participants drank 2 fifths of vodka, they got hammered, vomited, and risked alcohol poisoning" - are you telling me you would be averse to drinking one beer every few days? THAT IS EXACTLY HOW BIOCHEMICAL RESEARCH IS DONE.

Thanks, OP, for more fear-mongering.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I think everything in life that is good is going to kill ya eventuallly so why not just enjoy it all in MODERATION...then live a little die a little everyday and enough said.

In the original poster's defense and Dr, Mercola's view is that many studies are funded by the product so they are not going to give you the dangerous facts. He did say if you use it in moderation it won't kill you or give you a brain tumor but if you go nuts on it and think it is an awesome sugar replacement and start baking huge quantities with it or are a diabetic and discount the fact that it says no calories and no sugar chances are that is way too good to be true.
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    I think everything in life that is good is going to kill ya eventuallly so why not just enjoy it all in MODERATION...then live a little die a little everyday and enough said.

In the original poster's defense and Dr, Mercola's view is that many studies are funded by the product so they are not going to give you the dangerous facts. He did say if you use it in moderation it won't kill you or give you a brain tumor but if you go nuts on it and think it is an awesome sugar replacement and start baking huge quantities with it or are a diabetic and discount the fact that it says no calories and no sugar chances are that is way too good to be true.
    Except for the fact that lots of studies done have had zero affiliation with the company, the FDA, or the United States in general. There have been studies done internationally in countries like Japan and Italy.