Walking adjustment

Options
I'm wondering why my steps for the day decrease and are changed lower after I add in swimming and playing basketball. Any help or thoughts to help me figure this out would be appreciated.

Replies

• jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing happen. My Fitbit automatically syncs my steps to MFP, but after I add in the hour workout I do at night, my calorie adjustment from Fitbit drops down to 0.

What I typically do to remedy this (and yes, it sounds like a pain in the *kitten*):

1. After I manually add in my night workout into MFP, and after I see my Fitbit adjustment go to 0, I go into my Fitbit app and have it re-sync my steps...even if I haven't taken any more steps.
    2. I will then go into my MFP app and refresh.

Sometimes, it will fix the adjustment the first time, but if it doesn't, I will just re-sync my Fitbit app again, and then refresh my MFP app again. On times where it didn't fix it on the first time, most often the second time will do it.

I understand MFP's rationale, but then again, I don't want to loose credit for the amount of steps I got (especially since I list myself as "sedentary").
  • xLyric
    xLyric Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    From what I understand, logging the exercise in Fitbit instead of MFP should fix your problem, jeremy. It'll still sync it all.

jeff, when you log your exercise it should ask what time it happened. This is so that if you were swimming from 3-4, any 'steps' you took from 3-4 will be erased since you weren't walking, you were swimming and those steps are presumably mistakes, or they're already factored into the exercise you're doing.

When you log basketball, it's doing the same thing. Sure, you took steps, but you need to pick which place you get your total from. You can either get calories from "basketball, 4-5" or from your step total 4-5. You can't do both or you'd be earning more calories than you actually burned. You can't log exercise and keep the steps because the exercise usually includes the steps already.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I have a similar issue with mfp, pacer, and mapmyrun. I use pacer to track my steps as I like to keep a record of both my 'total' steps via Apple health, and my non-running steps (with an aim to make them 10-15000), so I have pacer do that and when I run I pause pacer and use mapmyrun. So, say, tonight I get home from my 14km run, and mfp suddenly deletes all the calories from the 11000 steps I'd already taken today.
    And, yes, the fix is to manually sync both apps. Sometimes if I leave it it does it on its own, but I'm impatient...
  • jeffro000023
    jeffro000023 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It's still seems wrong to me. I don't keep my phone in my pocket when I'm playing basketball or swimming. I usually wear sweatpants so I would not want my new iPhone 6s to hop out of them.

Thanks for the responses guys. This is a stretch for me to say the least to finally have the right mindset. I was 250 and have dropped to 244 in a matter of days. I just want to keep accurate stats and stay the course. Good luck with your own journey.