Fit Bits.. are they actually worth the money?

Options
I just bought the fitbit charge HR off amazon. Just wondering if it really does help keep better track of calories burned than just using my phones step tracker and MFP app. Just really want to know if it was money well spent.

Replies

• Just_J_Now
    Just_J_Now Posts: 9,551 Member
    Options
    Depends who you ask. I happen to LOVE mine. I keep looking at that number and if nothing else, it reminds me to be more active to reach and even surpass my step goal. I'm not sure how accurate the whole calorie burn thing is but it's a mind game for me.
  • JeffreyMGiron
    JeffreyMGiron Posts: 3,582 Member
    Options
    its worth it if you actually use it, i mainly use it for my runs, the step counter is just another form of my keeping me trying to burn little cals i can but i just like the accuracy on my runs. Waiting to use it for soccer :D
  • dtyungu_slim
    dtyungu_slim Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    they are fun- but i actually exercise with increased intensity without mine (lost it in the movie theater :'( )
  • Wytcher9
    Wytcher9 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was using my iPhone to track steps, but hated having to carry it around all the time. I as using a Vivofit 2 by Garmin so step tracking is 24/7. I hate wearing watches, but so far so good.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    As far as calorie burns, I think it is pretty *inaccurate*, although many people will tell you it is accurate for them. I have mine set to the same deficit MFP does, and they are synced. However, if I ate what Fitbit suggested, I wouldn't lose weight at all.

However, for me, it's the inspiration to get moving. Getting those 10,000 steps (nearly) everyday inspires other things. If it weren't for my fitbit, I might not have started jogging. I love earning my badges, and I love seeing everything turn green when I have completed each component (active minutes, steps, calories burned, etc.). Like I said, the calorie part is very off for me. However, I love mine!!
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    I love mine. It's a constant reminder to stay on track and to push myself. I also love the sleep tracking as I have insomnia and was able to go over my records with my doc and work out a plan of action. One thing that I've found though is that it asks if you're wearing it on your dominant or non-dominant hand. At first I said non-dominant but quickly realized that it tracks more movement when you use that hand. Since I am ambidextrous and use my left hand almost as often as my right, I changed it to dominant and it's a lot more accurate.
  • samanthachen
    samanthachen Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I love mine. It's a constant reminder to stay on track and to push myself. I also love the sleep tracking as I have insomnia and was able to go over my records with my doc and work out a plan of action. One thing that I've found though is that it asks if you're wearing it on your dominant or non-dominant hand. At first I said non-dominant but quickly realized that it tracks more movement when you use that hand. Since I am ambidextrous and use my left hand almost as often as my right, I changed it to dominant and it's a lot more accurate.

Oh my goodness! I have the same issue. I'm a lefty, but since I grew up in an age where they didn't accommodate for that, I do many things with my right too. Nearly everything else. I might need to change which one I have it set to then. Good tip!
  • Sonyavdg
    Sonyavdg Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It depends what motivates you. Just getting one was an incentive for me to finally do something about my weight which I had been unhappy about for at least 5 years. But maybe asking for it (it was a requested Christmas present) is evidence that I had reached that point anyway. I'm a bit of a geek so having data to play with helps me a lot.
    I like the precision it gives on the calories burned side to my approach to weight loss which is basically "on average be active enough to burn more than 2000 calories a day, and make good enough food choices so that on average I eat around 1600 calories a day".
    It seems super-accurate for me when I compare my calorie deficit based on what the fitbit records as my calorie burn with calorie deficit calculated from actual weight lost (last time I did the maths the difference was 20 calories a day). Either that or its inaccuracies exactly offset the inevitable errors in my food logging because I don't weigh everything.
    I've lost enough weight that I think I might soon have to replace my large fitbit with a small - and when I reach that point I will readily spend the money.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I love my fitbit Flex. I paid 80 for it (on sale) and wear it religiously. I find I get up and walk more, feel encouraged by the amount I burn in a day. Overall I think it was a wise decision for me.
  • Lightsoh
    Lightsoh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    If you know how to use it then yes. I personally stick with my S Health phone app because it's convenient for me. :blush:
  • Aelizabethyoung
    Aelizabethyoung Posts: 13 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I use the apple health app to track my steps now, but how accurate are the calories burned when inputting exercise manually into the MFP app? I actually bought the HR last night and was hoping the calorie burn/heart monitor feature would be pretty accurate. For example today inputting directly into the app, I have taken a 12 min walk at a mod pace, jogged up and down stairs twice in 2, 10 mins work outs. plus the 6000 odd steps I have taken and it says ive burned almost 500 calories.. Just seems off
  • pichiPurinsesu
    pichiPurinsesu Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    they're good for motivation; i don't have a fitbit i have a Moov Now (wanted it for the coach) but the cal burn i dunno - seems a bit off. i wear a Polar FT4 when working out to estimate cal burn
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    mine is growing on me, but its taken awhile.

i get tired of wearing it.
  • Dez11B
    Dez11B Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    No
  • witters87
    witters87 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I've just bought the Fitbit charge hr I can't wait till it comes, that's what's made me join my fitness pal but haven't got a clue what I'm doing yet lol need to find some friends too haha x
  • Locked_On_Target
    Locked_On_Target Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I love mine, I use mine exclusively for the competitions you can join. Motivates me to push harder than I normally would.
  • V_Keto_V
    V_Keto_V Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I would so it's worth it so far (only using for about 1 month) just because they save so much time on tracking, logging, etc. The graph charts & trend lines overtime are quite helpful in determining what aspects of health require improvement (cardiovascular health, overall exercise/fitness, sleep, etc.).

As far as Kcals burnt/expended, the Heart rate monitoring helps determine that with the fitbit models, but there is questionable accuracy for this feature. Take that for what it's worth
  • Aelizabethyoung
    Aelizabethyoung Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well I love mine. I love how it tracks the steps and the calories burned even resting calories. It has helped me lose 6 pounds since I got it a week ago. I would say it was well worth my money
  • chaney3000
    chaney3000 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I have been thinking about buying one. My sister bought me a knock version to see if I would like that and it was ok but I lost it at work so I kinda was hesitant. But after looking at the different types I think I want the fitbit surge so it can track my runs. Also, will it sync my workouts to this app?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    As far as calorie burns, I think it is pretty *inaccurate*, although many people will tell you it is accurate for them. I have mine set to the same deficit MFP does, and they are synced. However, if I ate what Fitbit suggested, I wouldn't lose weight at all.

However, for me, it's the inspiration to get moving. Getting those 10,000 steps (nearly) everyday inspires other things. If it weren't for my fitbit, I might not have started jogging. I love earning my badges, and I love seeing everything turn green when I have completed each component (active minutes, steps, calories burned, etc.). Like I said, the calorie part is very off for me. However, I love mine!!

Ya, I like it for the motivational aspect as well. I am walking more and going up stairs more. The sleep feature is fun, too.