Protien for breakfast?

Options
I had read somewhere that I should eat 30grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking up. Is this correct?? If so I'm having trouble finding good full protien breakfast ideas (currently eat yogurt whole grain bagel hardboiled egg whites) also I find myself at the end of the day hungry (maybe because not enough protien during breakfast) ? I end up over eating during dinner. Any light dinner ideas (vague or detailed)

Replies

• selfdiscipline73
    selfdiscipline73 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    1 and 1/4 cup of egg whites has about 30 grams of protein. I eat them every morning! Just an idea!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Check out my food diary. Maybe that will give you some ideas? I don't know about the 30 minutes after waking up part, but I get a protein-filled breakfast every morning. I also have a morning snack about 1.5 hours after breakfast. It helps to keep me from getting too hungry before lunch. Then it's easier to make smarter choices at lunch time and eat lighter too. Same thing with an afternoon snack. Dinner is my lightest meal of the day. I am rarely hungry throughout the day. :)
  • nikkijean8
    nikkijean8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Eating 30 grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking up is something that was touted by a recent author that was featured on the Dr. Oz show. If I could remember his name or the name of the book, I would tell you. :) So, you can definitely lose weight without doing it, and yes, I agree its hard to get quite that much - I tried it for a while. As for suggestions, I tried protein shakes for a while, but at the time I didn't pay much attention to what other ingredients were in the ones I bought, so take that with a grain of salt. I also ate greek yogurt with a small amount of granola in it which was very satisfying (again, be careful what you buy as far as sugar content, etc) :) I will say, the best part for me about eating that much protein in the morning was how great I felt all morning long! I was much more productive and by the time lunch rolled around, I wasn't starving like I usually am, and so I made better choices.

Another option that I haven't tried, but just saw because I was searching for quinoa recipes is quinoa "cereal" for breakfast. You should be able to find recipes for it on this website or other recipe websites (both simple and complicated ones).

Hope this helps!
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I try to start every day with a decent amount of protein. Check out my diary to see exactly what I have but I love either Greek yogurt or Siggi's yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast. Sometimes I'll have yogurt AND a protein smoothie. That'll easily equal 30g of protein and it'll fill me until lunch!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I have a protein-focused breakfast in the mornings. Almost always some greek yogurt. My other source is usually an egg or breakfast sausage. I don't think 30 grams is needed. Eating protein at every meal can help you feel full longer, but I wouldn't expect breakfast to be so filling it'd help you with your dinner meal.

If you're overeating at dinner, perhaps eat a heavier lunch, or make sure to have an afternoon snack with some protein, so you're less tempted to overdo it at dinner.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    My breakfasts ALWAYS have more than that amount, and I don't find it hard to do so either. I like omelets with 4 egg whites and 1 whole egg with some low fat cheese and a little deli ham. I also have some turkey sausage links with that. Sometimes I will have oatmeal, but I don't ever season it with sugar or fake crap like Splenda, I use a scoop of protein powder.

I've never been a fan of overly carb breakfast foods because that is what makes me sleepy mid-morning and ravenously hungry 2 hours later.
  • abtruse1
    abtruse1 Posts: 13
    Options
    I had read somewhere that I should eat 30grams of protein within 30 minutes of waking up. Is this correct?? If so I'm having trouble finding good full protien breakfast ideas (currently eat yogurt whole grain bagel hardboiled egg whites) also I find myself at the end of the day hungry (maybe because not enough protien during breakfast) ? I end up over eating during dinner. Any light dinner ideas (vague or detailed)

I know that breakfast is a very important meal. It starts your day after not eating for 8 hours or so. I don't think theres a magic number of how many minutes you should have it within. Although within an hour or so would make you feel less hungry :)
    The amount of protein (grams) is based more on ones individual needs, not as a set number for everyone. many people have different needs of total grams for the day.

Someone may want to chime in if I'm wrong, but I think that as you start introducing "clean foods" in your diet, you'll feel hungry more often. As compared to eating big macs, chips, and such. personally i am usually feeling the need to eat every 3 -4 hours. i keep my meals light and spaced apart.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is packed with protein and I love quinoa for breakfast. Maybe try protein for breakfast you can make yourself a smoothie in endless combination of fruit, juices, use almond milk etc and easily get 30 grams protein.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I need protein all the time! it keeps this ex fatty full longer and away from snacking.
    I like a protein shake and that alone is like 26gr of protein, so its easy to get enough. I suggest you get one so you dont have to stress the protein too much.
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Not only is protein not essential at breakfast, but breakfast itself isn't essential.

I am never hungry earlier in the day, and as such I have changed my eating habits so I'm not eating my first meal until 4-6 pm or so. My body can go long periods of time without eating.

What matters is getting your proper amount of calories/macronutrients in each day.
  • leeuuh143
    leeuuh143 Posts: 48
    Options
    I try to start every day with a decent amount of protein. Check out my diary to see exactly what I have but I love either Greek yogurt or Siggi's yogurt or cottage cheese for breakfast. Sometimes I'll have yogurt AND a protein smoothie. That'll easily equal 30g of protein and it'll fill me until lunch!

How can you check someones food diary?? And btw thank you everyone for your help agh idk what I'd do without the advice from my fellow MFP friends :)
  • leeuuh143
    leeuuh143 Posts: 48
    Options
    My breakfasts ALWAYS have more than that amount, and I don't find it hard to do so either. I like omelets with 4 egg whites and 1 whole egg with some low fat cheese and a little deli ham. I also have some turkey sausage links with that. Sometimes I will have oatmeal, but I don't ever season it with sugar or fake crap like Splenda, I use a scoop of protein powder.

I've never been a fan of overly carb breakfast foods because that is what makes me sleepy mid-morning and ravenously hungry 2 hours later.

Wow thank you so much I love omlettes but didn't realize egg whites were that much healthier :) how do you prepare it?? Thanks :D
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    Wow thank you so much I love omlettes but didn't realize egg whites were that much healthier :) how do you prepare it?? Thanks :D
    Egg whites aren't healthier, actually. The yolks have the best protein/cholesterol of the egg. Unless you're trying to hit your caloric intake easier, there's absolutely no reason to cut out the yolk.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I cut out most of the yolks because of the saturated fats that really add up and my family has a history of high cholesterol. So, yes, egg whites are quite healthy for me. My cholesterol level has dropped by making simple changes in my diet in regards to saturated fat levels. So yes, there IS a GOOD reason for someone like myself to cut out the yolks.

As far as how to make it, it's no different than other omelets. I just separate out 4 whites and add it to one whole egg, beat it like I would if it were multiple whole eggs, then cook as usual. I like to cook it most of the way through before adding the other stuff, because I have "omelet flipping deficiency" LOL. Meaning, I suck at flipping them...
  • mynameisuntz
    Options
    I cut out most of the yolks because of the saturated fats that really add up and my family has a history of high cholesterol. So, yes, egg whites are quite healthy for me. My cholesterol level has dropped by making simple changes in my diet in regards to saturated fat levels. So yes, there IS a GOOD reason for someone like myself to cut out the yolks.

As far as how to make it, it's no different than other omelets. I just separate out 4 whites and add it to one whole egg, beat it like I would if it were multiple whole eggs, then cook as usual. I like to cook it most of the way through before adding the other stuff, because I have "omelet flipping deficiency" LOL. Meaning, I suck at flipping them...
    I should have mentioned some sort of predisposition to cardiovascular issues. That's my fault. I was more stuck on body composition/weight loss than general health.