weight lifting eating calories back?

Options
hi. i started the strong lifts program again tonight. mfp didn't give me any calories to eat back when i logged the exercise. is this correct? how do y'all do it?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    You have to log strength training under cardio to get a burn estimation, but it can be highly inaccurate since MFP doesn't know how much you lifted, reps, sets, rest time, etc.
  • myaminals
    myaminals Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    thank you.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Lifting does not burn many calories. I always log is as 100 or 150 or something for a StrongLifts session.
  • myaminals
    Options
    thank you.
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    Lifting does not burn many calories. I always log is as 100 or 150 or something for a StrongLifts session.

What????

You burn calories all day when you lift. The more muscle you have to more you burn.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I just don't bother recording strength training in MFP. I jot all my lifts and progress notes down in a notebook that I take into the gym with me.

As far as calorific allowance - pick a number and eat to that, record lifts, body weight, take a few measurements and tweak the cals as required to maintain increasing lifts.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    I don't record my lifting or my yoga calories, and I do about 2 hours of lifting and 4 hours of yoga a week. There's no accurate way to measure so I figure it acts as insurance against other logging inaccuracies. My walking and Zumba or UrbanKick calories I capture with my Fitbit and can be pretty well assured are accurate. Works for me!
  • Nuke_64
    Nuke_64 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Mystical64 wrote: »
    The more muscle you have to more you burn.

Which is included in the BMR "part" of the MFP calculation. The OP was referring to exercise calories.
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Mystical64 wrote: »
    whmscll wrote: »

What????

You burn calories all day when you lift. The more muscle you have to more you burn.

That kind of extended burn can't and shouldn't really be logged, you log the calories burnt during a session.

Its like saying "I done metabolic circuits for 20 mins but it will continue torching fat for the next few hours, so I'll log 2hrs and 20 minutes of circuit training" Calorie burn after exercise is pretty minimal but is slightly accelerated when certain training is performed.
  • Bella0531
    Bella0531 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My HR monitor gives me approximately a 350-400 calorie burn for an hour of lifting. I usually only add back 100-150 on MFP.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    HRMs are not designed for tacking calorific burn from strength work. The results are useless.

edited to add - your idea to scale back the cals is a good one and will compensate for the fact that the HRM result is probably way off and, if this system works for you then that is great.
  • myaminals
    Options
    thank you everyone for your help.