Incline vs jogging

Options
Has anyone ever checked with their heart rate monitor which burns more? So for example, does running on a treadmill flat at 5mph for 30 mins burn more calories than walking on the highest incline (no holding on) at 3.5 miles per hour for 30 minutes? I can't seem to find a clear answer!

Replies

• monokochan
    monokochan Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. For me personally I find my heart rate to be more if I am walking on the highest incline while moving my arms back and forth. Running at 5 mpH isn't really running, but more of a jog for me.
  • mamaboobear13
    mamaboobear13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Yes I'm definitely a jogger not a runner when on the treadmill ;) it was just an example tho. I just wondered for the general population would u burn more running 30 mins at a comfortable speed or 30 mins on high incline walking.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    it depends on your heart rate. if incline @ 3.5 mph produces the same heart rate as flat at 5mph, then they will burn about the same calories.

if you want to burn calories faster just increase the speed of whichever one you are doing and sustain it for the same amount of time.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I find it is best to do a mix of both
  • mamaboobear13
    Options
    Thanks, I do both too but have been curious what people's results were according to HRMs as the answer seems to be so varied on the Internet KWIM
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever checked with their heart rate monitor which burns more? So for example, does running on a treadmill flat at 5mph for 30 mins burn more calories than walking on the highest incline (no holding on) at 3.5 miles per hour for 30 minutes? I can't seem to find a clear answer!

If you get better at running you can do 6 mph for 30 minutes and I'm pretty sure that this burns more than walking on an incline.

#runninggoals
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    monokochan wrote: »
    Running at 5 mpH isn't really running, but more of a jog for me.

If you're running, you're running...

fwiw 5mph is still walking for me, albeit quite fast, top end of walkable. To get to 6mph I start running.
  • chrismansa
    chrismansa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had neck/spinal surgery last year and am now prohibited from running to save what few discs I have left in my neck. So I am limited to walking. I am now up to 3.6 mph walking on the treadmill with a 7% incline. I am not certain how many calories I burn, but I can tell you it is a good challenge and I have been losing weight every day (about .02 or .04 lbs each morning). I go to the gym everyday after work and then I hike downhill/uphill on weekends. I am making excellent progress. Also, I hold on to the bars on the treadmill. There was another discussion about that, and in the end the answer is, if you are at a constant speed and incline your HRM is fairly accurate at telling you how hard you are working. It is INTERVAL training that is hard to gauge if you hold on to the handrail. I am usually working at about 85-90% of my max and I stay on the treadmill for a full 60 minutes - constant. Then there is a 5 minute cool down. I don't really count that. But in any case, I am getting excellent results. I eat a small bowl of pasta each day at lunch so that it gives me the energy I need to be on the treadmill. And for dinner a controlled portion of protein and veggies. The protein in particular to help repair and recover my hard worked muscles. I am happy with my exercise, the amount of food I eat, and the good mixture of both carbs and proteins. I did have to give up beer and wine though. Now I drink water and ice cold green tea.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Your calorie burn is based on the intensity (aerobic workload), not the movement itself. So there are combinations of walking speed/high incline that will burn more calories than running speed/no incline. But that is due to the fact that one workload is more intense than the other, not because of the incline walking itself.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I run flat all the time without issue, but inclines give me shin splints whether I walk or run. Not sure what burns more.
  • mamaboobear13
    Options
    For the record, I do run a lot faster outside lol. Just on treadmill I can only seem to do 5 - 5.3 max if I wanna go longer than 20mins. Was just curious how much a difference calorie burned there'd be between the two. Guess I'll just keep mixing it up
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options

fwiw 5mph is still walking for me, albeit quite fast, top end of walkable. To get to 6mph I start running.

Good lord, really? You can walk a mile in 12 minutes? You must be quite tall. I don't even call my jogging "jogging" lately, just shuffling.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Good lord, really? You can walk a mile in 12 minutes? You must be quite tall. I don't even call my jogging "jogging" lately, just shuffling.

Normally I'm about 4 mph, but if I'm shifting I'll get to 5mph. It also depends what I'm wearing, I probably wouldn't go that pace for any length of time wearing my work shoes, but if I'm in trecking shoes or trainers then yes.

I'm only 6ft1.
  • thomasgarcia7
    thomasgarcia7 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you're on a treadmill try to keep the incline to a minimum of 1.5 to account for wind resistance.
  • chrismansa
    chrismansa Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thank you AZSAK. I always appreciate the information you post and especially appreciate the knowledge you share.