Hard to stay committed

Options
Its so hard to stay committed. Any advice?

Replies

• ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You have to want it. There are no tricks. There are no shortcuts. At the end of the day, it's just you.

Losing weight is hard. Being fat is hard.
    Pick one.
  • echmain
    echmain Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is either important to you or it isn't.

Only you can decide that.
  • kristinhowell
    kristinhowell Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Know that you deserve it. And that the hard work gets a little easier with time. But you have to put in the effort. It will pay off if you stick to it though. It's worth it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Committed to what exactly? The food side? The exercise side? Both?

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you have to want it, more than you want the excuses.

• majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    It's why so many don't do it.

It's hard.

You can either decide you WILL do this and really get it together. Or not and never really get there.

Only YOU can decide.
    Come here and post if you feel you are struggling.
    Always people who will sit here and say " Keep at it.. you can do it!! "..
    but that's all we can do.. YOU have to put in the actual HARD work.

GO GO GO!! move and get busy with your body and drop those lbs!!
  • robingmurphy
    robingmurphy Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Make a list of why this is important to you. Make it a point to re-read it every morning when you first wake up to remind yourself of why you are going to do this today. If later in the day you are tempted to stray, re-read it.
  • davoiscool
    davoiscool Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    The trick I find is to sometimes give into the temptations and have a cheat meal/day. Keeps you sane. Though the trick is then to make sure you do actually 'get back on the horse' as it were.
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,575 Member
    Options
    When you feel your commitment wavering, read some of the success stories here and know that they worked hard to get where they are today. Know that it is a time commitment and does not happen after a month. Know that sometimes, the pounds won't come off as easily. Know that you have a support network here always ready to motivate you. Also, never feel like you are completely derailed of your success if you ever have a bad eating day, or you didn't work out, or maybe you didn't hit whatever goals you set out for yourself in a day or week. Just try again.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I like Robin's approach above with the constant reminders of why you are doing this. Really you are being your own personal trainer and cheer leader. I find visual reminders help me too. Pictures of what I want to look like put up where I can regularly see them; clothes I want to fit into hanging on the door of my closet and so on.

Think back to when you last got fired up about wanting to lose weight. What triggered your motivation then?

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My advice: 1. Open your food diary. 2. Log your food. Be accurate and truthful. 3. Log your exercise. Be accurate and truthful, but it's a little harder as some of the things you may do aren't understood by the exercise database. 4. Then ask for advice.

• shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    For me it was hard at first. But now it's just part of everyday life. Some days are better than others but overall I don't find it that difficult. Having realistic goals and lots and lots of patience helps a lot.

Like others have said. You really have to want it and when you think about what your choices are
    1) stay fat
    2) gain weight
    3) lose weight and be healthier and feel better.

Well 30 pounds ago my knees and back hurt a lot more and I was not that comfortable in my clothes and I got winded pretty easily. It has been 10 months. Now I can workout at a pretty good clip in the dojo without running out of gas. The pain flare ups in my joints are a lot less severe and less often. I am actually starting to like how look in a mirror or pictures and my clothes are comfortably loose. I still have at least 63 pounds to lose. It is going to take a while. I am in this for as long as it takes and then some.

It all comes down to how much do you want it and what is it worth to you.
  • lml852014
    lml852014 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    There are days where I want to give up but I want to look better more then I want to eat whatever I want and not log anymore. You've just gotta want it! I figure I might as well stick to this because either way time is going to still go by and I'll be more unhappy not losing weight then I will if I lose even a few lbs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    KcZee wrote: »
    Its so hard to stay committed. Any advice?
    That's what a COMMITMENT is. You're invariably going to encounter temptation, excuses, setbacks, obstacles, etc. YET, you will continue.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mousie1973
    mousie1973 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Make a list of why this is important to you. Make it a point to re-read it every morning when you first wake up to remind yourself of why you are going to do this today. If later in the day you are tempted to stray, re-read it.

THIS!! This is awesome!! my main goal every time i think about straying i just keep repeating my mantra for my weight loss ("I am doing this for ME first and foremost, and I am doing this so i can be an awesome momma")
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I get up at 3 am to get to the class at 4am. There are day that I just want to turn over and go back to sleep, but I know the 4 am class has the best instructors, coaches, and we hold everyone accountable. It sucks seeing a post and photo and you aren't in cuz you were sleeping. Its a commitment that I want to keep up for as long as I can. I did things to my body that were very bad for 20 years. And that's not me anymore. I push the envelope to see how much I can do. It's no long a diet and a challenge, it a lifestyle now. Believe
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    When you find yourself having a hard day, allow a day of maintenance. You're not gaining but you are allowing yourself a few more calories and a little leeway if you are hungry.
  • KcZee
    KcZee Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for all the advice. I let myself go. I've made every excuse under the sun and have blamed others. My health is deteriorating but the ends now! It feels good to be accountable for what I eat and workout through this app. It empowers me. I don't have a strong support group that can relate to me so all of your replys arr highly appreciated. I've been juicing and eating healthy for 4 days now with walking added to it or my biggest loser workout video. I need to work hard for it. Tell myself I can do it! Cheers!