Is this possible?

So far I have been trying to lose weight with myfitnesspal for a week now. Before I started losing weight, I weighed in at around 123 pounds. I don't have a scale at home, but I weighed in at a friend's house and the scale said 119. I stuck to my exericise plan all week....there were two or three days when I ate a lot after 6:00, so I figured it all turned to fat, and on Saturday I ate a lot because I was at a picnic. However, I've cut out a lot of the snacking I used to do (except for at night), I've been exercising and eating healthy meals whenever I can....which 99.9% of the time. Is it possible that I lost 4 pounds, or is one of the scales wrong? My pants feel a little looser....but that's the only thing I've noticed.

Replies

• So far I have been trying to lose weight with myfitnesspal for a week now. Before I started losing weight, I weighed in at around 123 pounds. I don't have a scale at home, but I weighed in at a friend's house and the scale said 119. I stuck to my exericise plan all week....there were two or three days when I ate a lot after 6:00, so I figured it all turned to fat, and on Saturday I ate a lot because I was at a picnic. However, I've cut out a lot of the snacking I used to do (except for at night), I've been exercising and eating healthy meals whenever I can....which 99.9% of the time. Is it possible that I lost 4 pounds, or is one of the scales wrong? My pants feel a little looser....but that's the only thing I've noticed.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    So far I have been trying to lose weight with myfitnesspal for a week now. Before I started losing weight, I weighed in at around 123 pounds. I don't have a scale at home, but I weighed in at a friend's house and the scale said 119. I stuck to my exericise plan all week....there were two or three days when I ate a lot after 6:00, so I figured it all turned to fat, and on Saturday I ate a lot because I was at a picnic. However, I've cut out a lot of the snacking I used to do (except for at night), I've been exercising and eating healthy meals whenever I can....which 99.9% of the time. Is it possible that I lost 4 pounds, or is one of the scales wrong? My pants feel a little looser....but that's the only thing I've noticed.

Yes, it's possible to lose 4 lbs of weight in a week, but not all of it will be fat--it will also include water and stored blood sugar.

However, it's NOT possible for everything you eat after 6PM to all 'turn to fat'. That's not how the body works. When it's 6PM there, it might be 4PM here, so how does your body know what time zone you're in? :wink: My point is, time is manmade, and metabolism is a natural phenomenon that isn't governed by time. There's no set time for fat gain or fat loss, or else we could all eat whatever we like before 6pm and not gain any fat. You will lose fat in a caloric deficit, and gain fat in a caloric excess. Neither a certain time nor a certain nutrient (like fat) will make you gain fat. Only an excess of calories will do that.
  • ^Thank you. I can snack a couple of times a day and STILL not exceed my calorie limit. Sometimes this site says I'm eating too few calories, but....I'm just not hungry, and I'm not going to eat if I'm not craving food. I really hope that I actually HAVE lost some weight, as my jeans do feel a little better than usual, and I'll be really upset if I'm mistaken.:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Also, should I really try to drink 8 glasses of water a day? I'm finding a bit hard to do that. That is A LOT for me to drink, but I've heard a lot of people have lost weight while following that.:flowerforyou:
  • songbyrdsweet
    First of all, this site only gives you that message if you're eating less than 1200 calories, so honestly you're going to have to buck up and get to 1200. If you don't, your weight loss will quickly slow and then stop entirely because you will lose muscle mass and your metabolism will decrease to match your caloric intake. If you think weight loss is challenging now, keep starving yourself and it'll be impossible. You may not feel that you're starving, but that's because hunger has nothing to do with how many calories your body needs. Hunger comes in a lot of forms, and none of them dictate your body's exact needs--if that were the case, morbidly obese people would always be full and anorexics would always be hungry, but the opposite is generally true.

And yes, you do need to drink a good amount of water, but whether 64 oz is necessary is widely disputed. It's best to drink until your urine is mostly clear.
  • also you need to weigh in on the same scale every week. my scale at home and my scale at work are 6 pounds different.

how tall are you also bc unless youre like 5'0 123 is probably a good weight.
  • songbyrdsweet
    also you need to weigh in on the same scale every week. my scale at home and my scale at work are 6 pounds different.

how tall are you also bc unless youre like 5'0 123 is probably a good weight.

Heck, 125 is my goal weight and I'm 5'0 :laugh: But I do like to have a lot of muscle mass so that skews the numbers a bit.
  • I'm a grazer and get shaky if I don't eat something every two to three hours. I've even been known to get up in the middle of a night for some whole wheat crackers or a piece of string cheese. By spacing your food out through the day at smaller meals and snacks, you don't feel as it you are starving yourself and can keep up a higher level of energy. As long as you are staying under your calorie count, don't worry about evening snacking.
  • réalta
    réalta Posts: 895 Member
    it is possible to lose 4 pounds your first week on here

BUT i would use the same scales every week so that your progress is accurate :flowerforyou:
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    I just wanted to chime in and say my first weigh in showed a six lb loss. All the advice they are giving is right on, and all I can say is it works!!!!
  • Power
    Power Posts: 27 Member
    also you need to weigh in on the same scale every week. my scale at home and my scale at work are 6 pounds different.

This is very important. My wife gets all freaked out because we have 2 scales and they are different by about 2 pounds. I tell her it doesn't matter. Weigh in, get your starting number and get rollin'!!!!!!!

The delta is all that matters until you get close to the number you have picked in your head as your goal. Then you can worry about the "real" number, if it is still important to you. I think the journey and all the lost weight will be more important than the final, exact number, but that's just me.

Pick a scale, any scale :wink:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!