why protein shakes?

Options
So I think I found a shake that I can live with...after some searching I found this shake at Popeyes that is 0 fat 0 sugar 27grams protein and only 110 calories mixed with water......I dont mind the taste so I am wondering what the benefits are of using the shake. Any trainers out there that can help answer this.

thanks

Replies

• mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    The benefits are it's an easy way to fill in the cracks of a diet that is lacking protein. If you want to drink protein shakes because you need help getting to a higher intake, then do it. If you don't need them, then you don't have to buy them.

It's really up to the individual.
  • posbey
    posbey Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    i drink them to UP my protein and most of the ones I drink taste good.

:-)
  • mssugarca
    mssugarca Posts: 75
    Options
    Hmmm I dont seem to be lacking protein in my diet so I am wondering if I should bother getting the shakes?
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Hmmm I dont seem to be lacking protein in my diet so I am wondering if I should bother getting the shakes?
    What's your intake? And do you lead an active lifestyle?
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    They are good for helping you reach your protein goals, especially on work out days.

It's important that you get sufficient protein when you exercise because that muscles soreness we feel after working out is the lactic acid burning our muscles and in the case of weight lifting tears in the muscle. Your muscles need that protein repair, fill in those tears and in turn grow.
  • LLaDonna
    LLaDonna Posts: 126
    Options
    there is a lot of information "out there" that suggests protein helps repair muscle and aids in muscle synthesis. I recommend doing a search through the forums and the internet in general.
  • Sistasarita
    Sistasarita Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    So I think I found a shake that I can live with...after some searching I found this shake at Popeyes that is 0 fat 0 sugar 27grams protein and only 110 calories mixed with water....

At first I thought this was a joke. A shake at Popeyes? Chicken and biscuit shakes? Silly, I know.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Well I love protein shakes in the morning to keep me full also as a quick snack or after working out at night because I dont eat much after so I need it for recovery.

rule for me = at least 1gr per lb of my goal weight. I aim for 120gr.