Strength training and hiit on the same day?

Options
Well I did 20 min of Kettlebells today and then 15 min of hiit on the elliptical. Couldn't physically do more hiit. Now I'm feeling the effects of overtraining. Had a nap, I was THAT tired.

Is it advised to do strength training on different days to hiit? To get the best results? I was thinking of doing 30 min strength training and then 15 min hiit 3x a week but only of its advisable to do it like this

Replies

• JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I regularly strength train and either HIIT, tabata or circuit training on the same day. If your fueling your body correctly I wouldn't advise against it. That being said I wouldnt just jump into doing it 3x a week, I'd build up to that or you will find out what overtraining actually feels like
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Sorry didn't mean that to sound like did not overtrain today, I just meant do it 3x weekly when your body hasn't adjusted to the new work load and you'll be set for a weekend in bed.
  • Burger2066
    Burger2066 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I do about 40-50 minutes of strength training, with little rest between cycles, and finish with 20 minutes of HIIT 5 days a week (not this week thanks to a groin pull from skating, but have done this for years). I lift 6 days. My weekend workout cardio is either cycling, skating (laps/sprints), or punching bag. I'm getting the results I want with this, so for me I say it works.
  • DanyellMcGinnis
    DanyellMcGinnis Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    As your fitness level improves, you will be better able to keep up. Things that challenged me 8 weeks ago are getting easier and I am adjusting my workouts periodically to make them more difficult (for example, a heavier kettlebell or a higher step for step aerobics, or adding some assisted pull-ups to my upper body strength routine with the eventual goal of doing the pull-ups unassisted, etc.). Don't go so far beyond your limits that you injure yourself, of course. But if you can breeze through a workout, it is probably not doing a whole lot in terms of improving your fitness.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,667 Member
    Options
    It can be done based on one's conditioning as well as whether or not you may split workouts. Back in the day I used to lift in the mornings, work, then when I got home did cardio.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • sventheviking
    sventheviking Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    In my experience I wiuld say likely you are under recovered not overtrained. The difference being if you were genuinely overtrained you would almost feel like you had a flu of sorts as well as likely an ache in tendons and ligaments possibly cramping in large muscle groups. It's actually incredibly difficult to reach a state of being overtrained.

As for strength training and HIIT it's very doable as I do heavy squats and deadlifts then will go do yoke carries or farmer walks for time with minimal rest. Sprinting with a prowler is also very common to do after a lower body session as well. You have to keep in mind that your legs won't be able to perform the same if you absolutely run yourself into the ground with HIIT.

30 minutes of strength training followed by maybe 5-10 minutes of HIIT would be a better start then as your adjust add in more of the cardio.
  • hazleyes81
    hazleyes81 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It's perfectly okay. And the fact you could only do 15 minutes tells me you're doing it right. It should make you exhausted.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i do them on both days all the time. Pace yourself until you get in better shape so you don't get so exhausted. 35 minutes of total exercise in a day is not over training.
  • Dillzies
    Dillzies Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have found that it is better to concentrate on one aspect. So either strength building or cardio in one day
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I mix it in with strength-training..but I have a setup at home. So I'll do burpees, mountain-climbers etc. in-between sets.