pc steel cut oats

Options
blue menu brand oats. so it says a serving is 1/4 cup at 150cal. that is so small lol i eat half cup usually but wow 300 cal just on oats. i added a banana and tbsp almond butter and im over 500 cal for breakfast. what do u guys eat for breakfast and if u do eat oats what do u add to it? it was darn good though

Replies

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    The label is for uncooked 1/4c. The volume of oatmeal doubles when you cook it so that it is 1/2c for 150 cals. I don't mind being over 500 for breakfast, but I understand why it's not everyone's plan.

I eat egg white omelets a lot (I am allergic to the yolk.) and Greek yogurt with granola and fruit is another go to breakfast.
  • lisa9805
    lisa9805 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    oh I swear it was cooked. it doesn't say that does it?
  • lisa9805
    Options
    what's a good granola? the blue menu one i have seems to be high in cal as well
  • majigurl
    majigurl Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    It's like pasta. You measure dry ingredients before they are cooked.
  • lisa9805
    Options
    oh i usually make up a cup of dry oats so i have it for the week. pasta i need to cook for the fam too
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    lisa9805 wrote: »

No, it's a dry measure. I add 1 cup of water to my 1/4 cup of steel cut. The serving size is decent.

2010100102_nutrition_facts_steel_cut_oatmeal.jpg
  • lisa9805
    Options
    so on pasta boxes it gives u the nutrition info on dry? same as oats and quinoa?
  • lisa9805
    Options
    I'm just starting to use a scale now so trying to figure things out
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @lisa9805 you hit the jackpot today! More food! Yes, these nutrition labels are all listing the dry measure.

Granola typically is higher in calories because of the honey, nuts, and dried fruit. That's what it is. You can measure a small amount and sprinkle it on yogurt to extend the pleasure and keep the calories down.

You might check out muesli which may be a little lower on calories. If I were to have muesli today I'd soak it in yogurt overnight like they do in Europe. Or so I hear.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Yes!!! Those weights listed on oats, pasta, grains, etc. Is DRY. Trust us, 40g (~1/4 cup)of dry sc oats turns into a lot more by volume cooked. Yay, you get to eat more :)
  • mishkins3
    mishkins3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    pasta label are for uncooked, most things are for uncooked unless they come precooked/prepared

beware bones and skin when doing meat calculations, most nutritional information doesn't include the bone (or all not sure)

some things can be confusing like pistachios sometimes they include the shell sometimes not, 6 cal/g excluding shells 3.0 cal/g with. Sometimes packaging will say (edible portion)

vegetables are sometimes more sometimes less cal/g for cooked than uncooked, mushrooms change from 0.22 to 0.28 cooked but onions barely change from 0.4
  • mishkins3
    mishkins3 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    also cooking doesn't add calories but often less water meas more caloric density and thus tastier
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    what's a good granola? the blue menu one i have seems to be high in cal as well
    I also eat the blue menu granola but not on its own with milk. It just doesn't keep me full for very long. What I do is add 10-15 grams (weighed on a scale) to my breakfast of pc greek yogurt and fruit to give my brekky some crunch. That combination keep me going for a few hours.

• BrandyGanus
    BrandyGanus Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I've been eating oatmeal every day but MFP states that the Sprouts bulk oatmeal is only giving me about 180 calories (and that's with milk added). I add fruit and brown sugar to it and it usually only brings it to about 250.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options

Yes it does - right beside the "serving size (40gms) DRY. Do you see it now?
  • lisa9805
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »

it def does not say it lol i can show u a pic but i don't know how to post one ;)
  • lisa9805
    Options
    thanks everyone for the tips ;) it will help
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    oh sorry - my bad - I thought we were referring to the previous pic, where it definitely says dry where I specified.
  • Joanna2012B
    Joanna2012B Posts: 1,448 Member
    Options
    I love my steel cut oats. I like mine with strawberries, blueberries and greek yogurt. I also like them with apples, cinnamon and a little brown sugar.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »

it def does not say it lol i can show u a pic but i don't know how to post one ;)

OP is correct, based on my googling, but this was the only teeny picture I was able to find. It's also true if you go to the product's webpage and click on nutritional information. Neither clarifies that it's a dry serving.
    aaab11a97a1962decc8a8af6010c94bd.jpg

Ewwww - how frustrating!