Traveling

Options
Hi everyone!

What are some tips to eating healthy when you are traveling?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Do your best, don't go crazy. You know what portions sizes look like, right? Try to get some exercise in like walking. Get back to logging when you get home.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    If you're staying in a hotel with a small refrigerator, go grocery shopping and stock up on fruits and vegetables and other diet friendly options.

Consider using a protein powder.

Check local restaurants ahead of time to get an idea of what options you might have

Try to keep activity levels high to offset some of the additional calories you might be eating.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Typically I travel for work, and while I'm there I sit A LOT. Also, I'm typically not there long enough to go to grocery store... often very filled 2 day/1 night trips. I do try to look at menus when possible, but do not always have a chance to do so. I have been trying to at least move around in my hotel/fitness room while traveling but after 14+ hours it's not always physically possible.

I honestly do not know anything about protein powder, could you help me understand it?

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    For short trips like that, I usually have something like a salad with grilled chicken and dressing on the side. For breakfast I stick to scrambled eggs and oats pretty much like I do at home. I also utilize the fitness room/center if applicable.
  • ctraugh
    ctraugh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, just do the best you can. MFP has an app for the phone so you can continue to keep track of your calories. I error on the high side when guessing portion sizes. Either with saying I am eating more ounces or pick a food with a little higher calorie count. I am trying to loose weight so that means staying in my caloric deficit.

As for exercise, try to have the taxi drop you off a block or two away from your destination and walk. Take the stairs instead of elevator. In your hotel room you can do body weight exercises like push ups, jumping jacks, running in place, crunches, yoga, ect. You can do a good HIT in 15min - 30min which will keep your activity in check.
  • jhall260
    jhall260 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I travel a decent amount for work here are my tips (if its work related travel!) some of them still apply if it isn't however.

some of these have been said but I may repeat them.

In no specific order;

- If you have a fridge in your room, go to the grocery store and get some items. I've even bought stuff that I can make my own lunches with. I pack a collapsible lunch bag that has built in cold packs in my carry on.

- If your at a conference or meeting where there will be the 'morning breakfast' I always skip it, it's doughnuts and other crap like that. While delicious it's not worth the calories to me (if you can fit one in great but I'd rather have a cocktail at night). Find a subway or something where you can get a quick meal.

- Move. Take a quick 5 minute walk on breaks. Get to the fitness center before the days activities. Or get outside for a run/walk. I've done 5+ miles by doing laps in the parking lot, or around the hotel while training for a marathon. Sure people think you're crazy, I think it's crazy too, but you gotta do what you've gotta do.

- Don't overeat! If you're out at meals it's okay to leave some on your plate. Take it back to the hotel if you can, if not so be it. I'd rather waste a bit of food then consume more then I need.

- Limit alcohol. This can be tougher, especially when a lot of business deals are made over a drink. I often will have a Vodka soda or two then just switch to plain seltzer water.

- Don't make excuses. It's no more time consuming to make healthy decisions.

• treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I definitely utilize the app. I'll have to re-learn what HIIT exercises are but that's a good idea. Also, I don't know why I hadn't thought about doing my fitness in the morning. Thank you for these ideas, if anyone else has ideas keep them coming.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Well I can only tell you what I do when travelling for work. I use the app. I eat soup soup and more soup always ask of dressing on the side with salads and tend to order a starter as a main to ensure portion control. I skipped mains and ordered only side salads and vegetables. You get some odd looks but no restaurant has refused it yet. Oh and I alonly drink water with my meal (always have)