I recently joined a gym...

Options
Hi everyone, I recently joined a gym and need a few gym buddies to message while I'm there to give me motivation and I will do the same in return.
I'm quite a big girl and I'm very body conscious so I joined a 24 hour gym so I could go late at night or early in the morning where less people will be to judge me. Sounds silly, but still.
All I'm asking is that some people add me and send me a few messages to keep me motivated while I'm there, to help me take my mind off of other people potentially judging me.
Anyone else in the same position as me, we can do it together!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No one's judging you... they're just there to do their thing while you do yours!
  • sanfromny
    sanfromny Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you live, but I'm in the US on the east cost. I usually go to my 24hr gym between 10p and midnight only because it's the most convenient time. But feel free to add me
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone is judging you either but I remember when I joined my first gym I felt the same way and would go at the crack of dawn for that reason. But seriously most people are too worried about their own workouts to spend time judging others.
  • lkokot
    lkokot Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I recently joined a gym and need a few gym buddies to message while I'm there to give me motivation and I will do the same in return.
    I'm quite a big girl and I'm very body conscious so I joined a 24 hour gym so I could go late at night or early in the morning where less people will be to judge me. Sounds silly, but still.
    All I'm asking is that some people add me and send me a few messages to keep me motivated while I'm there, to help me take my mind off of other people potentially judging me.
    Anyone else in the same position as me, we can do it together!

Have you tried to just work out at home so you won't have to deal with ppl at the gym? With the right "tools" and program you can do everything that the gym has to offer.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You don't need anyone. You can do it yourself.
  • sarahredhaira
    sarahredhaira Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym last week, and I know exactly how you feel. I wasn't at work last week, and the gym was fairly quiet during the day when I was there. This week I've been going after work, and it's been much busier. Tonight was the busiest yet, and I did feel self-conscious. It's only open till 10pm so there's not much flexibility in the times I can go.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    I remember when I first started jogging outside...used to wear really long pants, cover up as much as I could. Felt so ashamed that people would see me a fatty outside in her workout clothes. Forget that I was trying to jog on top of that! Well a couple months later a switch flipped. And I stopped caring what anyone thought. Now I dress for the weather and I honestly don't care what strangers think about how fat I am or how slow I am. I'm sure they're thinking more about what I think of them than the other way around, because we all tend to be self-focused and tend to think people think about us more than they really do. Hope that helps, in a couple months you will just go and do your thing and not care what people think!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    I joined a gym last week, and I know exactly how you feel. I wasn't at work last week, and the gym was fairly quiet during the day when I was there. This week I've been going after work, and it's been much busier. Tonight was the busiest yet, and I did feel self-conscious. It's only open till 10pm so there's not much flexibility in the times I can go.

Generally speaking, right after work is the peak time but the hour before close is not.

I go at off peak times because I hate crowdedness in general.
  • JulesRules1991
    JulesRules1991 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I know I'm being completely irrational but I only joined last week so I'm still only learning how to even use some of the machines. I know that once I've been there a few times, I'll be more confident but it's just the first few times when you're not quite sure how to do anything or who's around.
  • lauriekk22
    lauriekk22 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, Jules. It gets easier. Just do your thing and over time, you'll be proud of each success while caring less what others think. I find checking in here daily really helps, inspires and keeps me motivated. (And I too have a long way to go.) Good luck!
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Other than the guys who sound like women in labor when they lift... I can't say as I ever noticed what anyone else at the gym was doing...
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your move to lose weight and build some muscle.
  • UG77
    UG77 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I know I'm being completely irrational but I only joined last week so I'm still only learning how to even use some of the machines. I know that once I've been there a few times, I'll be more confident but it's just the first few times when you're not quite sure how to do anything or who's around.

You're aware it's irrational, as is everyone else. What's funny is people who are aware it is irrational will still attempt to rationalize away how you're feeling.

What you're feeling is normal any time you step into a social dynamic you're unfamiliar with. You're not being silly so don't feel silly. The only thing I can add is that you're saying you're already aware that it will pass in time and you're right, it will.

I get up at 4am and go to 24 hour fitness so I can get a solid hour of exercise in before work. This has the added bonus of letting me skip the morning traffic in Dallas which just reinforces my motivation to go to the gym. I'll send you an add and if you're up that early we can harass one another.
  • dollydiva2
    dollydiva2 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The only people that I notice at the gym are the ones sat on their phones while you're waiting to use a piece of equipment.
    I'm new to the gym too and I don't care what I look like, I'm going to look a lot better than this in a couple of months.
  • Karmc2k
    Karmc2k Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hi JulesRules1191, I actually do people watch when I am at the gym (when I am resting between sets). My thoughts on seeing a heavier person work out are 'good for them'! They have more guts and stamina than most people. It is a bit of an inspiration. Given that, you see ALL types at the gym, it is so public and there is such a variety of people that no one really stands out. I felt awkward when I first went but when I looked around no one was WATCHING me. People generally don't care at the gym and I think most are supportive.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Ask the gym to show you how to properly use the machines. They will have a trainer give you an introduction to the equipment.
  • ctraugh
    ctraugh Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I recently joined a gym also and find most everybody there not worried about you. Remember that you are your worse critic and you will judge yourself most harshly. After you get in the grove of things you will find other people there doing and feeling the same way you are. Try doing a Zumba or other class, you will quickly make friends and it will become more comfortable to go.

The most important thing about being a member of the gym is going, so force yourself to at least go. You can do it.