Sweet tooth

Options
I've been doing great with exercise and eating...besides getting that undeniable sweet tooth at night.
It'd be so easy to avoid if my dad didn't keep ice cream and pastries in the house. Needless to say, I ruin my diet through desserts.
My dad does not eat very healthy, and always has some kind of dessert in the house.

So, what kind of healthy snack satisfies your sweet tooth without the packed calories and sugar? I need help! :)

Replies

• Cilenia
    Cilenia Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit or have a piece of chewing gum to stop my craving. Or i make sure i have some calories left so i can have a dessert ;)
  • Doing_me
    Doing_me Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I so know how that feels but there are loads of fat and sugar free healthy options. For example weight watchers rice pudding, peanut butter, frozen fruit, fat free cool whip, sugar free chocolate syrup, sherbet etc... feel free to look through my diary, I eat loads of sweet stuff!
  • jmcharles52
    jmcharles52 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I like pre-made items like icecream sandwiches or little debbie snacks cause they are always the same size. I know I have a sweet tooth so I save some calories or work out.
  • Biert
    Biert Posts: 22
    Options
    I like to freeze 2 banana's and when they are frozen blend them with just a little milk. Tastes just like banana ice cream without any sugar or fat.
  • staceyschley
    Options
    There are those times when one little piece of dark chocolate isn't going to do it for me so I turn to Banana Babies. Its a half banana dipped in dark chocolate frozen. So good. You could always make them yourself.
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    Trader Joe's fruit frenzy bar rocks and i'm finding remarkably filling at only a 120 calories.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Oh, man! I feel your pain!! I like smoothies made from Greek yogart or some fat free yogart and strawberries and/or blueberries. I also like to make "fake cheesecake" by mixing half fat free cottage cheese and lemon fluff yogart. I also keep hershey kisses in my stash for when I absolutely NEED chocolate. Skinny cow and Edy's have low fat ice cream bars and shakes that are delicious. All these ideas are great but they still add up and you have to be careful about how much sugar you eat. I know my sugar is almost always over the limit... which I find very challenging. :(
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    you can make a banana pop or buy some I think they are called banana babies dipped in dark chocolate and frozen on a stick. Pretty good and still mostly healthy.
  • kenmiller75
    kenmiller75 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Emerald Coca Roast Almonds. They're dusted in a dark chocolate powder and they help cure my cravings plus almonds are very good for you. I buy them at my local Sam's Club. Not sure if you have one around you. 1 serving has 150 calories, 13 g fat (the heart healthy OMEGA kind), 6 g protein.
  • kristy_estes21
    kristy_estes21 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I like nonfat vanilla Chobani mixed with some Hershey's Special Dark cocoa powder. ;)
  • Ohiopugmom
    Ohiopugmom Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Emerald Coca Roast Almonds. They're dusted in a dark chocolate powder and they help cure my cravings plus almonds are very good for you. I buy them at my local Sam's Club. Not sure if you have one around you. 1 serving has 150 calories, 13 g fat (the heart healthy OMEGA kind), 6 g protein.

I love these as well, but I have a hard time stopping at the serving size - lol.

Also highly recommend skinny cow cookies and cream ice cream sandwiches!
  • lapamperedchef
    Options
    My father is the same way. I eat ricotta cheese with vanilla protein powder and fruit but berries usually. Or a piece of 70% dark chocolate.
  • raomdc
    raomdc Posts: 3
    Options
    I microwave 2tbsp of oatbran with some water and fat free milk and add splenda. It helps my sweet tooth and it is healthy while being sugar and fat free.

I eat watermelon - but usually eat too many pieces. Good thing is, it's mostly water but sugar is what I try to watch out for.
  • TurboKickGirl
    Options
    I am THE biggest sweets lover out there! I just made up a new dessert which tackles my sugar craving and is small enough to keep your calories under control. Mini S'mores. I put 3 marshmallows on a toothpick, dip them in melted chocolate chips, then dip them in crushed up graham crackers. YUM! I had 2 of those last night and they were so sweet that I couldn't eat any more if I wanted to! Hope this helps :) p.s. and I'm losing weight :)
  • es0torok
    es0torok Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    VitaTops! Warm the deep chocolate in your microwave for 40 seconds and it tastes like a warm brownie with chocolate chips! Onle 100 calories and quite nutritional.
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Chocolate milk made w/ Walden Farms sugar-free calorie-free chocolate syrup in the low-cow milk of your choice: cow, goat, soy, almond, hemp, etc.

Here's a neat way I've found to make a low-cal fruit seem a bit more decadent (don't ask my why it works, but it does): Get some seedless grapes. Wash them and pull them off the stems. Put them in a Zip-loc bag or Tupperware container or something like that. Toss them in the freezer for a few hours. Put a serving in a bowl and eat them with a spoon. It's like a cross between a sorbet and a bunch of mini ice-pops.
  • CARNAT22
    CARNAT22 Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    My favorite sweet thing at the moment is strawberries (half punnet washed, cut in half) with 2 teaspoons of single cream and a crushed meringue {you don't even use all the meringue - just the bits you can crush)
  • BJPCraig
    BJPCraig Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I put 3 marshmallows on a toothpick, dip them in melted chocolate chips, then dip them in crushed up graham crackers.

This sounds great, Turbogirl. But am I safe in assuming you mean miniature marshmallows? Not only are they lower in calories, but I can't figure out how you'd fit 3 regular size marshmallows on a toothpick...
  • jrolfes
    jrolfes Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    10 calorie jello blended with 2 TBL of fat free cool whip! Make your jello as normal and when it is almost set blend in the cool whip! Also, fat free sugar free instant pudding made with skim or 1% milk! Cheesecake, butterscotch, vanilla, chocolate and lemon are my fav!
  • cocobeenie
    cocobeenie Posts: 98
    Options
    Try half a cup of plain yogurt mixed with any or all of the following and freezing it. Its my answer to ice cream ^^

1 tbs peanut butter
    1 tbs cocoa powder
    any kind of fruit (I like bananas.or blueberries)
    protein powder
    sliced almonds