Yoga

Options
I had a hip operation at the end of the last year and I am still avoiding the impact exercises. I wonder if any one on here has done just yoga as your only fitness routine and did you see any changes in your body shape/weight loss?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is going to come from eating fewer calories. You work long and hard burning a couple hundred calories, eating a couple hundred calories takes no time at all.

Shaping your body - that comes from exercise. Strength or resistance training will help you keep more existing lean muscle while losing weight. Most exercise of this type is low impact. Look for body weight exercises; push ups, planks, squats, etc. Some forms of yoga do have some resistance training elements, but it's not the most efficient choice. Look at pilates, maybe.

But if you like yoga, it has other benefits as well. Flexibility, stress reduction and balance.

• happyhelenr
    happyhelenr Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Renial; I have hip problems (osteoarthritus) and have spent the last few years trying to avoid surgery. I found a product that has really helped me (I love riding my motorbike so needed to be able to continue to ride). Have a look and see if you think this will help you too :)

http://kingbrand.com/Hip_Pointer_Injury.php?REF=1094PV255
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I do know people who lost weight doing only yoga as exercise, yes. Two in particular who went from fat to reasonable size and strong. For me (skinny to start) it made me bigger, not smaller, as I gained muscle. I will caution you that yoga does work the hips in an intense way, and you might want to make sure that it's safe for you. I am 100% sure that if you combined long walks for some gentle cardio, and yoga for strength and conditioning, you can get a better body without heroic exercising like running and weight training, but yoga by itself isn't always aerobically challenging, it really depends on the class. Some of the power classes really get my heart rate up, but other styles just build strength and flexibility and mental calm, and probably aren't burning many calories.
  • ashtoncm394
    ashtoncm394 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Was it a hip replacement? If so, you want to be very careful coming into something like yoga where you're going to be doing a lot of external/internal rotation, abduction and adduction.

If it's safe, try out a couple different classes first. I wouldn't start with a Power or Power Flow if you're new to yoga.

That being said, when I first got into yoga I lost 7-10lbs doing just that (prior to that I was totally inactive). When I became a yoga instructor, I found yoga helped me gain a lot of lean muscle and therefore maintain my weight. Not every type is going to help you gain lean muscle though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    When I lived in yoga communities for three years I knew plenty of in shape people whose only form of intentional exercise was yoga.

That said, due to your hip operation, I recommend against the more vigorous styles of yoga like Power as mentioned above. Did you get a referral to a physical therapist after your surgery? Maybe ask that person for a list of movements you should avoid and show that to your yoga teacher.
  • MlleKelly
    MlleKelly Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I did a Bikram-only summer a few years ago and I LOVED IT. Bikram is way more intense than your regular yoga classes at the Y, but it's still low-impact. I LOVED what it did for my body and for my mind. If you have a Bikram-certified studio near you, I highly, highly, HIGHLY recommend checking it out. It can be pricey, but it's so worth it.

My dad had shoulder surgery and doctors told him he would lose a lot of his mobility permanently, but he started doing Bikram yoga and after just a few months, he could reach over his head. After a year, he had most of his mobility back. Consistent practice made it seem as though the surgery never happened.

I've seen people practice after terrible accidents, back injuries, knee injuries, running injuries, old people, pregnant women, obese people, people with ZERO fitness experience, amputees, cancer patients...seriously. Anyone you can think of. I've practiced Bikram with them all and seen them flourish - physically, mentally, emotionally.

With consistent practice, yoga CAN change your body. It helps you achieve strength, flexibility, and balance in all aspects of your life.
  • misstweedy
    misstweedy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I had hip replacement surgery about one and a half years ago and I went back to training with free weights including deadlifts and lunges fairly quickly after the surgery (surgery in late November, mid-January I started picking up weights again). I did have PTs supervising but the general advice was listen to your body, it's ok to push yourself but don't force anything. I also did a bit of yoga last year because I didn't have access to a fitness studio and was able to do most of the exercises. My instructor was careful to point out those exercises that place particular stress on the hips and I did get a couple of blocks to help with some positions. That said, if you had your surgery only a couple of month ago, it might be too early to try yoga. I would check with your doctor or PT to be on the safe side.
  • ReniaL
    ReniaL Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, thank you all for your kind comments. I had a hip arthroscopy for labral repair. I do find some of the yoga positions still challenging but also noticed that with each session I can do a bit more. I am a real beginner so went for a yoga DVD, Tara Lee set. I do love it, but I do feel a bit of pain a day after I do it. Maybe I will check with my physio
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I use yoga to help my joints and range of motion. Depending on the type you do and if you use a weighted vest it could help retain muscle.

I would hazard my body improvements come mainly from lifting weights, though there is a strength and/or endurance that it adds as well.

I don't use exercise for weight loss only weight gain.
  • Sunkist796
    Sunkist796 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am a LEFT ABOVE THE KNEE AMPUTEE and I LOVE BIKRAM'S!!
  • smile_laughter
    smile_laughter Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited October 2016
    Options
    @MlleKelly , @Sunkist796 - I, too, love Bikram yoga. I have had acl surgery, groin issues and lower back issues. Since December of last year, I try to go 1-3 times a week. Each body part feels better and stronger with practice.
    It is more intense because of the heat, but I feel so mentally good afterwards. I can't do all the moves and have horrible balance, but I do what I can. The yoga instructors at my place are amazing and don't belittle you for falling out or not being able to do a posture.

I recommend yoga, but I am not a pt or doc, so make sure you don't hurt yourself. I hope you feel better and stronger each day.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    ReniaL wrote: »
    I had a hip operation at the end of the last year and I am still avoiding the impact exercises. I wonder if any one on here has done just yoga as your only fitness routine and did you see any changes in your body shape/weight loss?

Yoga is great exercise but take care re rehabilitation and get a good teacher who knows your med history

To lose weight focus on calorie intake, yoga will make minimum impact on weight loss it's not a great calorie burn. It is good for strengthening and flexibility