LOW FAT AND FAT FREE IS NOT THE WAY???

Options
Dave198lbs
Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
Is it only me...it seems we are always being told that it needs to be low fat or fat free whether it is milk or yogurt or cheese...I have read we need fat and the low fat and non fat can actually make you gain fat or at least not lose the fat you want to lose...plus I like the taste of real milk and real cheese and real yogurt....anybody out there eating the regular and not the low fat non fat?
thanks'
Dave

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Is it only me...it seems we are always being told that it needs to be low fat or fat free whether it is milk or yogurt or cheese...I have read we need fat and the low fat and non fat can actually make you gain fat or at least not lose the fat you want to lose...plus I like the taste of real milk and real cheese and real yogurt....anybody out there eating the regular and not the low fat non fat?
    thanks'
    Dave
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I eat fat free yogurt, and milk, low fat cheese. BUT I get lots off good fats everyday from meats, nuts, seeds, etc. Fats are very important, and so is where you get them from. The idea of low fat should really revolve around that category of high fat/high sugar, low nutritional value foods that everyone should avoid.
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I am always debating this myself. I hate fat free stuff. I feel we can eat the regular just limit the quantity.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    I think when you take away the fat you lose flavor. When I tried low fat and fat free sour cream I ended up using more to get the flavor I wanted. I think that's why we gain, we end up eating more to get the flavor we want. By eating the full fat version I use less.
    I still put alittle bit of butter on my oil popped popcorn. Why eat styrofoam when I can have the good stuff.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    i do !!

i was buying the low fat stuff before and i gained tons of weight,, i got informed and learned that fat is not the enemy and how much fat i should eat (about 30% of you calories intake) and realized that i was not eating enough fat !!! (but way too much carbs .lol)

so i switch back to regular, it tastes so much better :happy: its higher in calories but its worth it because its got more good stuff for my body !!
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on the person. I grew up on skim milk, and I like nonfat yogurt. In fact, I prefer it. In addition, I'm genetically wired like my dad - we're both fit, but we have higher cholesterol that shoots up if we eat full-fat dairy. Contrast that with my mother and sister, who are both overweight but have total cholesterol levels in the sub-150 range. So, for some of us fat-free is the way!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I've gotten used to fat-free mayonnaise, low-fat sour cream, low fat salad dressings, non-fat yogurt tastes GREAT, etc. My tastebuds have grown accustomed.

But I also get good fats from PB, and salmon. Yum.

And if I'm going to have low fat sour cream on my tater, you can bet there's a REAL pat of butter on it! I know, it makes no sense, but there it is.
  • Helen43
    Helen43 Posts: 43
    Options
    :smile: Some of the fat free stuff out there, I would rather not eat. I think the goal is not just to lose weight, but to learn moderation. So, in theory we should be able to eat anything, but in moderation. I usually go for lower fat, but not fat free options...light sour cream, 1% milk, but also include full fat options like raw nuts and avocado.
  • Renae_Nae
    Renae_Nae Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I can't do Fat Free (with exception of honey mustard) I can't stand the taste and I rather just go without! - Although I eat "regular" I just limit it.
  • iftcheiaf
    iftcheiaf Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I think the idea is choose your fats wisely. It also depends on what you'll tolerate. In all honesty, some of the fat free or low fat things aren't really that much less in calories. If it's something you enjoy like cream in your coffee, it's such a minimal amount that I go for the real thing. But I love skim milk so I'm okay with that. But hate fat free cheese, so I do the real thing, I just don't eat a lot. I have never heard of people gaining weight because of being on a low fat diet though, although I think without the fat, your body might crave more carbs. Like everything, I'm guessing balance is the key.
  • megan0313
    megan0313 Posts: 394
    Options
    I'm learning to read the labels on products now, and alot of the low fat foods have more carbohydrates (mostly sugar), so I generally don't go for the low fat stuff (I don't like the taste of most of it anyway) but I'm very careful to measure out exactly one serving, and I try to keep my total fat at 30%, so if I'm getting close, I skip the butter on the popcorn that night.

:drinker:
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    thanks'
    Dave

Everyone I know that eats full fat dairy products is doing a low carb plan of some sort. Atkins, Stillmans, Protein Power, Sugar Busters, etc.............

Low fat and non fat have added sugar to compensate for taste factor...............Food for thought, LOL
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    i do !!

i was buying the low fat stuff before and i gained tons of weight,, i got informed and learned that fat is not the enemy and how much fat i should eat (about 30% of you calories intake) and realized that i was not eating enough fat !!! (but way too much carbs .lol)

so i switch back to regular, it tastes so much better :happy: its higher in calories but its worth it because its got more good stuff for my body !!

This is me too!!!

I am carb sensitive, not fat sensitive. The higher my fat intake, the more weight I lose and faster.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    It is possible to have a low fat diet without eating any products that have extra sugar to make up for fat.
    For instance, they don't add sugar to skimmed milk to make up for the lost fat. The problem with low fat foods described above is a problem with processed food in general. I'm unconvinced that anyone actually solves their problems with carbs by eating regular cookies instead of reduced fat ones.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    It is possible to have a low fat diet without eating any products that have extra sugar to make up for fat.
    For instance, they don't add sugar to skimmed milk to make up for the lost fat. The problem with low fat foods described above is a problem with processed food in general. I'm unconvinced that anyone actually solves their problems with carbs by eating regular cookies instead of reduced fat ones.

aI have to agree with this. Fat free and low fat dairy products are also low in carbs. Which makes the whole extra sugar added idea kind of frivolous. That will only be the case when pertaining to foods that nobody should really be eating much of anyway, like cookies and other sweets, dressings, sauces, creams. Now I'm not taking a hit at low carb lifestyles, although I do see some major problems with trying those unless and until you are under doctor's care, but let's be honest, low fat and fat free options are not really to blame for anyone being overweight.
  • gynuwyne
    gynuwyne Posts: 132
    Options
    I think the reason why you hear "choose low fat over full fat versions" a lot is that the full fat versions often have more saturated and transfat which are the artery clogging, cholestral raising types of fat.

Your body needs fat for energy. Fat is also a nutrient used in the production of cell embranes. They help regulate blood pressure and heart rate.

The good fats are poloysaturated fat and monosaturated fats and omega-3 fatty acids. They can be found in nuts, olive oil, peanut oil, vegetable oil, soy, avocado, seafood, flaxseeds and flax oil, walnuts.

Reduce the amount of bad fats in your diet and stay within appropriate portions of the good fats and you'll be fine.
  • 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I try to get my fats the right way - through nuts, meat...omega 3s. I go with the nonfat/lowfat stuff b/c that's how I was raised, and I prefer it. I prefer Diet Coke to regular, skim milk to even 1%, sugar free creamer to regular...etc.