Cheese Substitute?

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I've been vegetarian for about 10 years. Although I eat pretty healthy already, cheese has been a huge setback in maintaining my ideal weight and as a guilty pleasure. I have tried "mimic" cheeses, but they just don't do it for me. I was wondering if anyone had any options for a substitute for cheese that can curb any cravings?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I was wondering if anyone had any options for a substitute for cheese that can curb any cravings?

It doesn't exist. Just eat cheese in moderation, don't try to replace it.

Side note: you have beautiful eyes.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I'm not aware of anything to substitute for cheese. Lower fat (2%) - but nothing else comes to mind.

Lifestyle changes for me. I've lost weight and regained it. This time I won't give up anything to lose weight, that I won't give up for a lifetime. I need to manage cravings sooner or later.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Most cheese substitutes have similar calorie counts to cheese. So I don't think you would see a difference in your weight from substituting.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Yes, no good cheese substitute for cheese. I do find if I buy a more robust, aged cheese (aged cheddars are my loves), a much smaller serving is just as satisfying (even more satisfying) than some $2 mild cheese (but I wouldn't turn that down, either, lol).
  • KSnow78
    KSnow78 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I eat cheese in moderation. Also, I go for full fat cheese as low fat or fat free has too much sugar and other preservatives. They dont taste nearly as good either. So if I am going to eat cheese, I go for it and i go all the way. I ensure I have the caloric budget for it and i log it :)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Nope. I love cheese - the fake stuff is nasty.
  • tarynopolis
    tarynopolis Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Damn... The struggle is so real, lol. I'll literally put cheese on everything. What is this moderation you speak of? :(
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I use Laughing Cow. I can't really have a good wedge of cheese just lying around. I pick too much. But having to open each wedge separately is helpful. I mostly use it to make creamy sauces when cooking or on sandwiches so I think it's pretty good.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    One thing that seems to work for me, is using a cheese planer. It shaves the cheese and a serving size looks like a lot of cheese. You can use a potato peeler as well. That works really well on hard cheeses like parmesan. Eat it. Enjoy it. Log it. Change eating habits that you can maintain for a lifetime. No food off limits. All things in moderation.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I use the low fat stuff (mozzarella, American, and cheddar only) in hot dishes, where cheese is just there to add some flavor. Otherwise, I go full fat, I just have less of it. Just can't replace cheese.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Are you cutting it out because you have issues with dairy? Or do you want to cut calories? Because most substitutes are pretty equivalent, as others have said. Also, what are you looking for a substitute for? Nachos? A Sandwich? A main ingredient? Different things can "mimic" textures depending on what you are wanting a sub for.
  • rosecropper
    rosecropper Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Nothing can replace real cheese for flavor!
    However, I do use puréed butternut squash and nutritional yeast to make a vegan sauce for "mac & cheese" and "broccoli cheddar" soup. It's smooth and cheese colored and good for you.
    Silken tofu can be puréed as a substitute for ricotta in lasagna or in recipes like spinach dip. It's nothing like actual cheese but it tastes pretty good if it's seasoned with lots of garlic & spices.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Damn... The struggle is so real, lol. I'll literally put cheese on everything. What is this moderation you speak of? :(

It IS real, lol. I'm in a cheeseless wasteland, formerly from Wisconsin, land of cheese heaven. Okay, not cheeseless, just not good stuff.

Moderation is easy for me, as what I want isn't readily available. So when I get my hands on a wedge of artisan cheese, I make it last (plus, it's expensive, sigh...). A cheese plane helps make portions lighter, but still "look" big.
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    Usually hard cheeses have less fat than soft cheeses and thus lower calories.

Try also using smaller amounts of a stronger cheese. Friends brought me some extremely pungent blue and I used half the normal serving and didn't miss out because it was so flavorful.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    I just eat less and go for reduced fat on most of it.
  • lantana411
    lantana411 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I agree about strong cheese. Recently I switched from buying sliced cheese to getting wedges. NowI take a piece of picante Provolone and grate it over my food. I'm amazed at how much a half ounce makes! And it has a lot of flavor so you taste even a small bit. And use good cheese - Monchego, Grana Padano aged parmesan cheese, etc. so you get the most from your calorie buck!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    One thing that seems to work for me, is using a cheese planer. It shaves the cheese and a serving size looks like a lot of cheese. You can use a potato peeler as well. That works really well on hard cheeses like parmesan. Eat it. Enjoy it. Log it. Change eating habits that you can maintain for a lifetime. No food off limits. All things in moderation.

This is a brilliant idea!

• lmrebert
    lmrebert Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is no good sub for cheese... I'm a vegan and I've tried a couple of things to satisfy some of the reasons we love cheese... it's savory and creamy and comforting. I will sub avacado say in a sandwhich... and don't miss the cheese. I've made cheesy pasta dishes with cauliflower, and nutritional yeast with a vitamix. This does not taste like mac and cheese but it does satisfy that comfort food thing, and still tastes good, and I've made vegan lasagne (1 cup approx 317 cal due to cashews) with cashews, oregano, salt, pepper, and nutritional yeast in vitamix that replaces ricotta extremely well.... now if it's calories... just eat cheese in moderation, don't deprive youself
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    The only couple of cheese substitutes that I am aware of are Nutritional Yeast and "cheeses" made from nuts. I've had nutritional yeast (it's one of the ingredients in my favorite kind of kale chips) but I've not yet tried / tasted any nut cheeses so I've no idea how they might taste. Not sure what part of the country you are in, but if you have Whole Foods stores there, I believe they carry some nut cheeses.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Most cheese substitutes have similar calorie counts to cheese. So I don't think you would see a difference in your weight from substituting.

many also have added casein...really have to go vegan...and I find them horrible. Not that I am vegetarian, but we discovered this when we were identifying my son's Cow Milk Protein Intolerance. Casein is everywhere (hot dogs, chicken nuggets, veggie cheese, sausages)...really caused a problem for my niece who had the most severe reactions (blistering and bleeding).