Which foods are best for weight loss?

Options
Pandabug93
Pandabug93 Posts: 130 Member
I know this isn't a diet, it is a lifestyle change, but I was just wondering which foods are actually best for dropping the pounds.

I want to eat healthier, and I'm just utterly confused on the food area, I know the smaller portions are key, but what kind of foods?

Replies

• Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Depending on who answers this, you will get a whole load of different opinions on protein, carbs, and fat...

But basically, anything that is not processed is what you will be looking for. Lean meats and proteins, veggies, fruits, etc. are best. I also incorporate whole grains, some people say avoid grains. But I think a good start is to cut out boxed or bagged anything and stick with natural foods like fresh produce and fresh meats (if you are an omnivore like me, lol). I also choose low fat dairy as opposed to fat free because fat free adds lots of sugar to the mix.
  • Pandabug93
    Options
    Thanks!!! I'm thinking about trying organic products too, they all seem to have less sodium which is a killer. (:
  • saveeggscracksmiles
    Options
    Eat organicly. :3 NO POP. Kay? kay.;D
  • mynameisuntz
    mynameisuntz Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    No food choice is better than others in terms of weight loss. Here's the general hierarchy:

1) Calories determine fluctuations in weight. Eat less calories than your body burns and you lose weight.
    2) Macronutrients (protein, fat, carbs) determine body composition. High protein + caloric deficit = optimal diet for fat loss.
    3) Micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, etc.) serve for general health purposes.

So let's paint this into a picture. Following rule #1, you could eat pure sugar so long as you eat less calories than your body burns and still lose weight. But looking at rule #2, we need to eat higher protein for optimal fat loss. So let's remove some of that sugar and throw in some beef jerky for protein. Now we have more optimal fat loss given the higher protein. But looking at rule #3, we see that we need more foods with vitamins for general health, so we swap out the sugar for fruits and vegetables and the jerky for lean chicken and olive oil.

To answer your question: you eat whatever you want so long as you hit a caloric deficit for weight loss, eat high protein for muscle maintenance/fat loss, and favor healthier/micronutrient-rich foods for general health.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    The foods that YOU can stand so you can keep on the diet!!

I am serious. Its about calories in and out, and if that means you need to have a portion controlled scoop of ice cream so you don't lose your mind, then do it (within your calories)! I think too many people say they can only eat certain foods on "diets" and their eating becomes so restrictive that they just can't live their whole lives like that.

Exactly like you said, it is a life style change, so you need to find foods that you can work in to YOUR lifestyle (not crazy nutrition freak's lifestyle).

Yes, stay away from high fat, fried foods for your heart. Yes, sugar will likely make you more hungry later on as it will increase your insulin. BUT you can't just eat lettuce all the time or you will go crazy. And not everyone can afford organic. I personally feel ill and like i'm going to pass out if I do the low carb thing. No one can skip all carbs for the rest of their lives. Take people's advice (including mine) lightly and decide what is right for you.

Just be balanced. Try to eat protein to stay fuller longer. Dairy also helps fill you up. Fruits and veggies are low calorie, so you can eat a lot of them without accumulating a lot of calories. Throw in some whole grains/cereals for energy, and you have all your food groups.
  • Pandabug93
    Options
    Hmmm yeah, I suppose I just feel like I'm eating badly still, thanks (:
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If you want a simple easy answer, the foods that have really helped me are spinach, eggs (whole, none of this throwing the yolk away business), sweet potato, green tea, grilled vegetables, black olive tapenade (weird, I know), wholewheat carbs in small portions and tuna. They haven't made me lose weight per se but I have found that they give me good nutrition for the calories and fill me up. When I eat a lot of them I tend to drop quicker because I like them enough that I eat a lot of them and not much else. I use spinach to bulk meals out and drink at least 4 cups of green tea most days. Sweet potato chips and grilled veg is a very low cal high nutrient meal which is worth a go.
  • Pandabug93
    Options
    If you want a simple easy answer, the foods that have really helped me are spinach, eggs (whole, none of this throwing the yolk away business), sweet potato, green tea, grilled vegetables, black olive tapenade (weird, I know), wholewheat carbs in small portions and tuna. They haven't made me lose weight per se but I have found that they give me good nutrition for the calories and fill me up. When I eat a lot of them I tend to drop quicker because I like them enough that I eat a lot of them and not much else. I use spinach to bulk meals out and drink at least 4 cups of green tea most days. Sweet potato chips and grilled veg is a very low cal high nutrient meal which is worth a go.

Thanks!!! I'll definitely consider switching out my coffee for green tea, or alternating days or just adding Green Tea (I'm a coffee addict haha) Thanks for the information!
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to coffee too. Once I started tracking calories, Instead of giving up coffee, I just switched to black.... Now I probably drink 6-8 cups a day.

One of my favorite staple foods are those 96% fat free beef patties sold in Trader Joe's. Two of those patties pan fried with Pam, a little salt/pepper and TJ's 21 Season Salute, plus a mountain of broccoli lightly steamed.. I've probably eaten that for dinner over a 100 times. I'll add in a half cup of brown rice if I'm eating dinner right after coming back from the gym.

Sometimes I'll alternate that with TJ's frozen chicken breasts and a very big Romaine Lettuce Salad.

And like some of the previous posters mention, I like treat myself to a little bit of ice-cream or sweets on occasion...just to keep my sanity.

Basically, center your meals around healthy cuts of meat accompanied by fibrous veggies and a moderate amount of carbs.
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    I think these are all great ideas!

I have toast with peanut butter & pumpkin butter for breakfast. If we have bananas, I'll have that too. That gets me through about 4 hours before being hungry again. When I get home I usually have vanilla yogurt with fresh fruit in it.