Exercises for my body- carrying weight in belly!

Options
I'm down almost 50 pounds yay! But now that I'm not completely round, I clearly see where I carry my weight- my hips and belly! My butt is so flat, yet my hips and belly are so big! My legs are also good, it's frustrating not being, even? With where my weight goes... I still have another 80ish pounds to go, and I mainly do trampoline jumping with my kids at a local place and walking.. Any advice on other workouts, besides cutting my stomach off?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Exercise won't change your body type. I'm a pear. When I'm thin, I still have a proportionally large hip & thighs. This has a lot to do with genetics.

Just do exercise that you enjoy and is good for you too. Strength/resistance training is great for overall fitness.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Your stomach will shrink as you continue to lose weight...you can't spot reduce a particular area with specific exercises...there are no exercises that will shrink your stomach...it will just get smaller as you continue to lose weight.

The stomach area tends to be primary fat stores for the vast majority of people...it tends to be first on, last off.
  • Lizzypb88
    Lizzypb88 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Boo okay, I definitely have noticed my stomach is smaller, okay I'll just keep working at it
  • shannie018
    shannie018 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It seems all my weight is in my stomach. I measure 42" around my waist. I am trying to be patient, right now I am mainly walking to build up myself to a higher level of exercise. My plan was to start jumping on the trampoline when we put it up in the spring.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    When I have lost weight the abdominal fat seemed the last to go...first was upper body fat...then lower body and closer to goal abdominal fat. Hang in there. You can do it. Walking is excellent...especially if you can find some hills and get out of breath.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Big belly usually just too many carbs.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Genetically, women do carry weight in their hips and stomach. It's to protect those vital organs we have there. An unfortunate truth.

You can't lose weight in certain spots. Cardio burns fat. Strength training at a caloric deficit doesn't grow muscle, but it makes your muscles work better, which increases your metabolism. An overall important thing to do, so maybe consider adding squats (holding something heavy) to your routine! Your legs have the largest muscles in your body, so work those to your advantage (and be proud of your beautiful legs.)
  • tennileb
    tennileb Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Swimming is great, takes some of the pressure off your body that can happen when you carry weight in a disproportionate way. and it is a great low impact cardio work out (as long as you push yourself)

Congrats on being down 50lbs, that takes a lot of work!!

the tummy will reduce in time. core strengthening exercises (youtube would have tons) , also try searching playground workout routines, lots of free and family friendly options so that when you do reduce the tummy you have good strength and muscle tone underneath :) keep up the great work!!