Working out=gaining

Options
Hi
I work out regularly 5/6 days a week mostly with kettlebells using Simple and sinister. This seems to have reduced b fat. I stopped tracking Cals and just followed guidelines like in easing protein intake and reducing carbs. Now I have started using double kettlebells my scale weight has increased? I know I'm building muscle as I have taken before and after pics. Question how do I get my scale weight down as I want to look a little leaner??
Thanks

Replies

• NitaGrobler42
    NitaGrobler42 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    If you are building muscles your scale weight will pick up. I bought a scale a few years back that shows your weight, muscle mass, water, fat and bone mass. It helps a lot to track if you are actually losing fat.
  • Dillzies
    Dillzies Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    sody78 wrote: »
    Hi
    I work out regularly 5/6 days a week mostly with kettlebells using Simple and sinister. This seems to have reduced b fat. I stopped tracking Cals and just followed guidelines like in easing protein intake and reducing carbs. Now I have started using double kettlebells my scale weight has increased? I know I'm building muscle as I have taken before and after pics. Question how do I get my scale weight down as I want to look a little leaner??
    Thanks

Eating less and higher reps with less weight
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    You just increased intensity, so a likely cause is temporary water weight gain while you adjust. If it doesn't start to go away in a week, you're probably compensating for the exercise by eating more. In that case, you need to cut calories a bit at a time until you start losing again.

Ignore the advice for higher reps with less weight. That won't make a difference to lose weight unless you turn it into an aerobic routine (burning more cals).
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    You get the scale weight down by eating in a deficit. You eat in a deficit by logging calories, otherwise you have no clue what your intake is (whether you choose to believe that or not). If you're gaining weight, you're eating more calories than your body is burning. Some of the weight could be muscle, who knows, but I guarantee some of it is fat. That is, if this increase in weight happened over time and is not simply water weight.

Gaining muscle while losing fat just doesn't happen - you have to pick one. Either you're eating in a deficit and losing fat and a little muscle (while lifting to retain as much muscle mass as possible), or you're eating in a surplus and gaining both fat and a little muscle. Muscle mass doesn't pack on as quickly as people like to think.

I can't stand when I hear people, women in particular, talking about eating 1200 calories a day, but their weight hasn't gone down because they are gaining muscle. No, no they are not. Nor are they eating 1200 calories a day if they aren't losing weight.
  • sody78
    sody78 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, thanks for the replies. I set myself a goal in January to focus on sticking with a double kettelbell and pull up program and then try to stick to the principles outlined in fat loss happens on a Monday. I'm 6, 2 and my weight hovers between 210 and 220 lbs. I watch what I eat mon to Fri, sat sun not as strict.
    I have tried to track calories before and the app is amazing but the hardest part was tracking homemade meals ie spaghetti bolognese etc because I hadn't got scales and to be honest I couldn't have been bothered. Maybe it's time to get back to tracking and maybe introduce cardio??
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    you can't build muscle as fast as you can lose fat. muscle can be built at a maximum rate of about 0.5lbs per week in a YOUNG MALE BEGINNER. And this is assuming he is in a caloric surplus (so would be gaining weight overall). whereas, you can lose fat at a safe rate of 1-2lbs per week. so muscle gain is not cancelling out your fat loss.

if you are trying to reduce bodyfat, the scale should be moving down. you are not building muscle that fast. sorry, i've been there. it's easy to tell yourself that.

but your story reads "I stopped logging calories because I couldn't be bothered and suddenly stopped losing weight. Is this because of muscle gain?"

• bathmatt12345
    bathmatt12345 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Take measurements beyond the scale... Tape measure is your friend. If you want smaller belly, hips measure them and track on the site.

BTW, A pound of muscle is 600 cals, fat 3900, you can be about 3000 cals in the hole and still gain a bit of weight, but typically you don't do that.
  • drachfit
    drachfit Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    yes but the body can only synthesize muscle at a certain rate, regardless of how many calories are in 1lb of it. also, it takes more than 600 calories to synthesize new tissue that didn't exist before.

so if you are set up to lose 1lb a week of fat you are probably only synthesizing 0.25-0.5lbs of muscle under ideal conditions. your overall rate of loss would still be -0.5-0.75lbs
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    sody78 wrote: »
    I stopped tracking Cals... my scale weight has increased?

Answer is in your own post.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    If you can't be bothered to weigh and measure your food, don't be surprised if things aren't working out like you want.
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I love kettlebells and they are great -- but I still weigh and measure and track my food. Otherwise, left to my own devices I just eat more than I should for weight loss (and sometimes less which is also a problem because getting too hungry leads to overeating for me).
  • sody78
    sody78 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I try to focus on one thing at a time so now it's March I'll focus on using my fitness pal and tracking Cals. Exercise routine is pretty well embedded, obviously nutrition isn't as good as I think it is..
    Thanks